JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I posted this here since there could be a "Monkey see, Monkey do" effect with this type of tax, where other Counties or States might try to implement the same.

Peter

<broken link removed>

I've been telling people for years this was/is coming. I know I've mentioned it here MANY times.
With obamacare, it will become national.

Trauma wards and treatment cost serious money. Auto accident and gunshot victims comprise the greatest number of trauma patients, especially in inner cities.

It won't take InsCos (and the IRS) very long to point out to premium payers (AKA Taxpayers) that more funding is needed, or else premiums will "necessarily skyrocket" (gee, where have I heard that before?!?).
That is the mechanism that will be used to get taxpayers to approve of it, under the guise of a pseudo "user tax."

It's coming, and as long as obamacare stands, it's on the fast track.
This is just one of the many ways that national healthcare is turned into "the keys to the kingdom."

I have been saying that gun control will come from taxation.

I thought there was an interesting stat -- 70% of the victims do not have health insurance.
How many just don't give a real name?
Under Obama care - all of them will have insurance. That argument goes away in a couple years.

You guys get famous!

Cook County &#8216;gun tax' idea has Bellevue's CCRKBA fuming

When a Cook County, Ill., politician started making noises yesterday about imposing a tax on firearms and ammunition to help close a $115 million budget gap, the Bellevue-based Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms went ballistic.

<broken link removed>

Chicago is dumb.

Assuming this tax passed how much would it bring in?
Virtually zero is my guess, if I lived there I would buy my ammo outside of Chicago, you need to leave the city to shoot anyway.

How much crime would be reduced?
Virtually zero, the gangbangers would buy thier ammo outside of Chicago.

Total feel good measure, but no help in doing anything.

That's as smart as the scheme Oregon has in place to fund children's healthcare with the taxes collected on cigarette sales, while simultaneously trying to get everyone to stop smoking... Then whine and cry and be dismayed when revenues drop because less people smoke or buy cigs in Washington.

The C(r)ook county tax scheme is not an idea to raise revenue no matter what the crooks there say. Remember, McDonald force them to allow private ownership of guns (they had a law that was declare unconstitutional). There was another suit about ranges and gun stores that Chicago lost...so this is a way to get rid of them by just taxing them out of existence. It has nothing to do with revenue...it is the back door to the gun control law that they could not have.

That's as smart as the scheme Oregon has in place to fund children's healthcare with the taxes collected on cigarette sales, while simultaneously trying to get everyone to stop smoking... Then whine and cry and be dismayed when revenues drop because less people smoke or buy cigs in Washington.

I've been laughing at this since the beginning, but not too many people can see the blaring irony in this.

The C(r)ook county tax scheme is not an idea to raise revenue no matter what the crooks there say. Remember, McDonald force them to allow private ownership of guns (they had a law that was declare unconstitutional). There was another suit about ranges and gun stores that Chicago lost...so this is a way to get rid of them by just taxing them out of existence. It has nothing to do with revenue...it is the back door to the gun control law that they could not have.

And it's not just objectionable because it's anti-2A, but also because it won't work. As long as Chicago is connected by a system of interstate highways to other parts of the country, their local gun restrictions just won't have any effect on gun violence. Guns and ammo will flood in from Indy, Gary, Milwaukee, wherever. So law abiding Chicagoans and gangbangers alike pay a higher price for guns and ammo. OK. You think the gangbangers care? Besides, they can always buy their guns and ammo outside the city anyway, so all this does is put pressure on the legal gun shops in Chicago. What the antis need is comprehensive national gun control legislation, and they ain't gonna get it. Not under Romney, not under Obama, no time in the foreseeable future. We are strong.

And it's not just objectionable because it's anti-2A, but also because it won't work. As long as Chicago is connected by a system of interstate highways to other parts of the country, their local gun restrictions just won't have any effect on gun violence. Guns and ammo will flood in from Indy, Gary, Milwaukee, wherever. So law abiding Chicagoans and gangbangers alike pay a higher price for guns and ammo. OK. You think the gangbangers care? Besides, they can always buy their guns and ammo outside the city anyway, so all this does is put pressure on the legal gun shops in Chicago. What the antis need is comprehensive national gun control legislation, and they ain't gonna get it. Not under Romney, not under Obama, no time in the foreseeable future. We are strong.

Please stop using the anti's terms...Guns are not violent...People are.

May I add, there are two types of taxes. One raises revenue, and is intended to.

The second type is a coersive social engineering tax that most likely will not raise any revenue, but may actually cost money, not just revenue.

Proof of this type of tax is NY and Ontario Canada's cigarette tax. When Ontario's tax was considerably higher than NY's, there was a smuggling problem...for Ontario. The ontario parliment got smart, lowered their cigarette tax, increase their tax revenue, and pushed the smuggling problem off onto NY.

Chill. Gun violence = violence using guns, not violence by guns. Just like "dog food" is food for dogs, not food made of dogs. And "auto repair" is repair of the auto, not by the auto.
Yeah, because being beaten to death with a pipe or a bat is SOOOO much more desirable than being shot with a 9MM, or .357 etc.

The problem is the violence, NOT the gun. This fact has been proven dozens of times over the last 3 decades.
In the U.S., Australia, the U.K. and elsewhere.
Increasing the price of legally sourced guns and ammo through taxation hurts the less fortunate more than the well-to-do.

Who suffers more if ammo goes to $50/box, the person who struggles to pay for rent, food and electricity?
Or the person that agonizes over which limo to take to dinner at their favorite 5-star restaurant?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top