JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As an owner and fan of M6 Scout I'm very intrigued as well. At under 6 lbs though, I couldn't imagine ever shooting 12 gauge through it in anything other than a life-or-death situation. Even 20 gauge would pack quite a wallop, as I've shot a 20 gauge Rossi of about the same weight and it was no fun. Hard to argue with the flexibility though. Only question would be quality. I've seen mixed but mostly positive reviews on their Little Badger, which came out last year and only does .22lr. Other than that the MSRP seems kinda hard to swallow, though the set of X-Caliber adapters sell for about $450 alone so not as bad when you think of it that way.

So far I would still classify it as vaporware, since they don't seem to be available anywhere yet.

It would be much more cost-effective to get a cheap break-barrel 12 guage like H&R/NEF and just buy some adapters of your choice. The only problem I keep running into with that is being stuck with just a bead sight which is tough for shooting centerfire rifle/pistol rounds. I'd love to find a way to add a rail to one of those.

Chamber adapters seem worthless to me unless it was a whole chamber sleeve with rifling and the bullet didn't bounce down the barrel or .223 to .22lr where you had very close bore diameter so reasonable accuracy could be possible. That's exactly what I would have done here. .223 upper with ONE adapter to .22LR and shotgun bottom Barrel.

I don't see the perceived light weight being a issue, Most if not all of my shotguns are under six pounds, NEF type 12ga shotguns are light and plenty manageable to most people, I would think the all metal and near flat construction would make it unpleasant to shoot.

Give me a Savave 24 anyday. (And no tacticool rails to hang dingleberrys on also!) :)

I believe these chamber adapters are 8 inches so they should be a lot more effective and accurate than the 3 inch ones. I think the challenge would be adjusting the sights to match what I imagine would be a quite different point of impact for each caliber.

I believe these chamber adapters are 8 inches so they should be a lot more effective and accurate than the 3 inch ones. I think the challenge would be adjusting the sights to match what I imagine would be a quite different point of impact for each caliber.

I worked on my Google-Fu and checked them out. That does change things in my mind some. Now comes the price for me, I'd put one in my safe for around 300 not much more. I just cant spend 4-5 or 600 dollars on a Chiappa yet (even with the overpriced adapters).

I could see putting one "away" with 100 rounds for each adapter and the base calibers for a rainy day-last ditch gun.

Added;

Chiappa Firearms, best known for their quasi steampunk looking Rhino revolvers, had a shotgun/rifle combo at SHOT this year that the survivalists out among us will surely take note of. The X-Caliber is a folding stock, over-under, shotgun rifle. The basic form of the long gun is a 12 gauge shotgun barrel over a 22lr rifle barrel. That is common enough. What is uncommon is that the gun comes with 8 different inserts that allow for multiple calibers to be fired from the one barrel. 10 different calibers, to be precise.
<broken link removed> The inserts are 8 inch rifled mini-barrels that will fire .380 ACP, 9mm, .357 magnum, .38, .40 S&W, .44mag, .45ACP, .410, .45LC and 20 gauge shotshells. If the proverbial fecal matter connects with the rotational ventilation system, and supply lines run dry, this kind of flexibility might become a meaningful asset. Or maybe you just have a store room of left over ammo gathering dust, and don't want to hassle with cleaning multiple guns. Either way, problem solved.
The stock is a combination of steel and foam, which helps to bring the weight of the gun down to a scant 5.8 pounds. The stock has a cut-out for an included cleaning kit and for some 12 gauge and 22 rounds. The barrel inserts come in a heavy canvas bag. The rear sight is adjustable, and it looks and functions somewhat like an old M1 Carbine sight. The MSRP is $750 for the rifle and inserts. While we hope we never need a rifle like this, we certainly appreciate that it exists. We're going to have one in for review as soon as possible.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

<broken link removed> <broken link removed> <broken link removed> <broken link removed><broken link removed>

chiappa01-400x217.jpg chiappa06-375x300.jpg chiappa02-242x300.jpg

chiappa05-400x267.jpg chiappa07-326x300.jpg chiappa04-400x267.jpg

Last Edited:
You can also buy the 20ga/.22LR for $349, but thtml
you lose the ability to use the adapters.

I'm actually interested in buying a set of the adapters for my H&R single shot. I think I would want the .22LR, 410, and maybe another one. Don't know where to find the adapters because I haven't seen them in any stores.

Lots of options out there:

http://gearupcenter.com/products/x-caliber-shotgun-gauge-adapter-system-new-pre-order-available.html

http://www.mcace.com

http://www.gunadapters.com

http://www.gaugemate.com

When they started they included a 223, 7.62x39, and 308 insert. Those all got scrapped. I would have liked to get my hands on one of those for interest sake.

I own a single shot NEF. One day I'll pick up a few of the inserts for poops and giggles to see what they can do.

You can also buy the 20ga/.22LR for $349, but then you lose the ability to use the adapters.

I'm actually interested in buying a set of the adapters for my H&R single shot. I think I would want the .22LR, 410, and maybe another one. Don't know where to find the adapters because I haven't seen them in any stores.
You don't lose the ability to use the adapters, you just have to buy them separately - there are a couple of different sources for adapters. One in Alaska, another someplace else I have bookmarked.

As for the adapters. I would not worry about the projectile "bouncing" down a 12 ga. barrel - isn't going to happen even with shorter adapters - the projectile will leave the barrel before the rifle recoils.

As for accuracy - the main things you are giving up with a shorter adapter/barrel is velocity and power, not so with accuracy. The main thing about accuracy with a shorter barrel is sight radius, and in this case you don't give that up because the sight radius stays the same. In fact, sometimes shorter barrels can be more accurate than longer barrels - all else being equal, a shorter barrel will not vibrate as much - i.e., it is relatively stiffer.

As an example, the most accurate rifle I ever shot/owned was a special M1A (in a bullpup stock) that had a SS Krieger 1" diameter 18" barrel with a special "bridge" to tension the barrel. With the right ammo I was able to get 0.5 MOA out of that rifle and I am not that good of a shot - a better shot would probably have been able to do better yet.

<broken link removed>

Where you might have a problem with accuracy would be if the rifle came in 5.56x45 with a .22 rimfire adapter; this doesn't always work well for best accuracy from what I have read as the bore size is just enough larger to not get a good grip on the projectile when shooting the slightly smaller rimfire rounds - maybe try .22 magnum instead?

I haven't tried the .22LR/223 adapter myself, but I intend to - it would be good to have.

I have an M6 in .22 rimfire and .410 - shot it a little with the rimfire. Wish I had got it in .22 Hornet. I hope Chiappa comes out with centerfire versions.

I also a Savage 24C with plastic stock in 20 ga and .223 - haven't shot it yet.

Depending on reviews, I will probably buy the X-Caliber. Given the price of adapters I think it is not a bad price at all and street price will probably come down. I do wish they had included a .223 adapter instead of .40 S&W, but you should be able to get both .223 and 7.62x39 adapters also.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...rns-your-gun-into-an-ultimate-survival-rifle/

As for shooting a lightweight 12 ga - BTDT with a single shot plastic stock. Shot a duck load through it. Left a sore shoulder behind. Not my idea of fun.

However, there are of course much lighter loads, and 20, 16 and .410 adapters which are inexpensive. In an SHTF situation the recoil will be a trade off against the weight. I would think the lighter weight would be more important and most of the time lighter loads would be used.

Also, if a person were in a permanent base, they could hunt with a more conventional 12 ga. if they were going duck or goose or turkey hunting - something a bit heavier.

Two reservations:

1) That stock - I would have to see what that plastic is made of. Sure looks like styrofoam, but surely it is not as that would not last through more than a couple of shots or any rough handling even with the metal around it.

2) I want a Scout scope mounting position. Maybe the top rail could be replaced? Lacking a solution for that, maybe some kind of red dot sight. I have Leupold Prismatic that I like, but haven't mounted on anything.

Overall I like it and would buy one after it has been on the market for a while and I have seen some reviews. The good thing is this should drive down the prices people are asking for used M6s - they think that because they are not made anymore they can ask 2 to 3 times what they sold for retail (I paid $220 for mine and no, it isn't for sale, but I have looked longingly at a used one in .22 Hornet).

Last Edited:
I do agree that a reasonable alternative to such a setup would be the H&R rifles.

Another alternative is a T/C Handgun with the carbine kit and several different barrels - this is what I have been considering; the advantage of a handgun with the ability to make it into a rifle. In a SHTF situation where there is no ROL, then the silly prohibition against using a shoulder stock with the handgun barrel goes out the door too.

I didn't realize that chiapa made thousands of permutations of whatall until I felt compelled to click on their website due to this thread. I guess if a .357 lever gun had a wig on it and they were giving it away, I'd halfway consider it. but maybe not

Threadcromancy...

Just thought I'd revive this thread. I've had my eye on some shotgun adapters for a while - wasn't big item on my list, but more of a someday item. Well someday was this week. I have been watching for the Chiappa X-Caliber adapters to be available at a decent price, but they've been hard to find for the most part - all out of stock.

Came across a listing on Ebay for a very lightly used set. $300 to my door. Couldn't balk at that price - a good $150 below what they go for new. Although even at $450 the kit is a good deal considering standalone 8" rifled adapters go for almost $100 each.

It will be few weeks before I can test them out at the range, but my initial impression is that this is an impressive set of adapters. Out of the 8 roughly 7 1/2" long adapters, 6 are rifled. The .410 and 20 gauge adapters are smooth bore. The rifling looks really good. At that length and with the rifling, I expect the accuracy to be decent. The rifled adapters have o-rings around them to keep the adapter from spinning in the barrel when you fire the gun and the bullet engages the threads. They are also quite heavy, they look and feel very well made. I'm hoping they'll make the .223, 7.62x39 and .308 adapters available at some point as promised last year. I'm also planning to add a .22wmr rifled adapter as well (Chiappa doesn't make one of those, but others do), maybe a .22lr at some point.

I can't wait to take them out and give them a go. I'll be dropping them in an H&R break-barrel 12 gauge. If I think about it, I'll try to report back once I've tested them out.