JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
l5gjmk5u4dx61.jpg

Fun photo.
But lacks info. Most handguns could be made to fail with a hot enough hand load. We need info about the load to make this useful.

Maybe we also need a contest for guns that fail by exploding into the most pieces.

What happened to whoever was holding the gun when it spontaneously disassembled?

Everyone should know by now that Chiappa only sells overpriced junk
Never had one. The idea of reducing recoil by their massive and innovative redesign is interesting. But I don't mind .357 recoil. And they don't make a .44mag, where recoil on smaller shorter lighter .44s is an issue for me. Enough so I stick to standard or larger .44 mags.

In all fairness, Chiappa may not be the bee's knee's in firearms, but I have more than a sneaky suspicion that handloaded + or ++P's were likely involved in that mishapen mess.

More times than not in catastrophic failures it often boils down to novice experimentation and/or human stupidity. Dollars to donuts....

Whether just hot but in the top end of spec, or stupid you crossed the line handloads, it is only part if the issue for me.
Personally, I've never been a fan of Sintered steel / powdered metal for guns.

They did a good job cleaning all the blood off. Those revolvers fire from the bottom cylinder, directing the gas towards the shooters hands.
Proximity is about an inch closer, but direction is the same; i.e., in all directions. Whether it is a conventional revolver and the barrel is an inch higher, or is like the Rhino an inch lower, it is smart/wise to keep any part of your hands away from the front of the cylinder.

I.E., do NOT follow this example of "proper" hold on a revolver:

cgblast-copy.jpg

Whether just hot but in the top end of spec, or stupid you crossed the line handloads, it is only part if the issue for me.
Personally, I've never been a fan of Sintered steel / powdered metal for guns.
Not sure what part of a Rhino is sintered "metal". I believe the frame is aluminum and the cylinder steel. Maybe the trigger parts would be "sintered" or MIM, but I doubt that has any impact on the strength of the frame or cylinder.

Using image and keyword search turns up a couple threads with reverences to that photo, which *may* have originally come from a Fakebook post. Near as I can tell from what I could find the ammo involved was either factory, hot handloads, very light target loads, a squib, or (and I think this is the most likely)

NotsayinItWasAliens.jpg

FWIW - I have a 329PD (.44 mag) that is an aluminum frame. Granted, it is a Scandium aluminum alloy, which makes it much stronger than most aluminum alloys, and also much more expensive.

I doubt the Chiappa revolvers have any Scandium in them - wish they did; would be nice to see them in big bore magnums, where the lower bore axis would benefit the recoil characteristics even more.

I am given to understand that Chiappa will not go anymore powerful than .40 S&W or .357 magnum because they don't feel the frame could take it.

Proximity is about an inch closer, but direction is the same; i.e., in all directions. Whether it is a conventional revolver and the barrel is an inch higher, or is like the Rhino an inch lower, it is smart/wise to keep any part of your hands away from the front of the cylinder.

I.E., do NOT follow this example of "proper" hold on a revolver:

View attachment 1195710
All revolvers fire from the top cylinder except the Rhino, the bottom. If the upper cylinder ruptures it goes up, with the Rhino, it goes down. That's all I was stating. Did you see the cylinder in the pic?

All revolvers fire from the top cylinder except the Rhino, the bottom. If the upper cylinder ruptures it goes up, with the Rhino, it goes down. That's all I was stating. Did you see the cylinder in the pic?
Yes, but I read "Those revolvers fire from the bottom cylinder, directing the gas towards the shooters hands."

So I assumed you were not talking about the exploded ruptured cylinder, but about the normal gases/flames/etc. that come out during a normal firing sequence. My mistake.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top