Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Chiappa Rhino revolver: Hammered together by chimps?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jan 14, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Is anyone else as interested in the Chiappa Rhino as much as I am? I really like the look and design of this gun.

I just have one issue as of right now.

I was looking on their website today and there is a picture that you can magnify by dragging your cursor across it. When you magnify the areas under the cylinder the seams are so jagged it looks like chimps assembled the pieces with tack hammers. There are even big gouges around some of the hex bolts.

I would like to think they would use their cleanest gun for their advertising pics, or at least clean up the photo digitally. This is really off putting.

See for yourself...
    http://chiappafirearms.com/product/726

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

The Stainless or silver finished version is really bad but the black versions look better (in the pics anyway). I will most likely buy one after they've been out awhile (any bugs worked out) and when they are decently priced just to try one out. Pretty sad example to put up for close viewing, even had a cylinder ring on a couple.

3. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I would really like to know if the silver one is stainless or just a finish. If it is stainless I will buy one with my tax refund.

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

The cleaning section of the manual doesnt say that any special care needs to be taken on the finish. I would say it is most likely electroplated but hoping for full stainless and will definately order the wood grips too.

5. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie sowfeast poetland, ohraygun Member

Yeah boy the gun in promo pic does look like it was assembled with tack hammers, if not bricks... Heck I'd offer to digi-tweak their promo pics in exchange for for a freebee :laugh:.

I'm always intrigued by innovative designs of stuff, just the 'outside the box' thinking... looks like it shoots pretty well in this review (link below), though I'd sure take exception with the reviewer's assertion that it makes all previous revolver designs "inferior and obsolete" :rolleyes: ah well, writers are given to hyperbole. http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10/chris-dumm/gun-review-chiappa-firearms-rhino/

It looks froggin' coooool in any case, though I dunno if a delicate flower like me could accurately & quickly fire it with the review's stated DA pull of "at least 15 pounds". I'm with deadeye, I'd like to wait a while and see how they behave after they've been out for a year or so...

*edit* good grief, just saw the pics that later posters have put up. That is a whole lotta parts in the mechanism, to put it mildly.... hmmm maybe they'll call it the Murphy's Law Special.... though it'll still be interesting to see how they hold up after some real world users have 'em for a few years... and ugly or not, I still think they look cool!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  6. Arkitek

Arkitek Historic Downtown Roseburg Oregon Member

Its an odd looking duck, but did you see the lack of kick in the shooting vid?
    Intriguing...Might be worth a second look! :thumbup:

7. lesscubes

lesscubes Burien Member

The underslung barrel makes a lot of sense for recoil management. I sure does look funny though. Its kinda bulky looking too.

8. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

I defintly think that the longer barrel versions look better. but the video sure is cool

9. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Chimps would have done a better job building the guns. Most of the Chiappa guns I've seen were not well built. I don't expect the Rhino to be any different...

10. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

Doesn't look like they mill the cast surfaces of the frame or sideplate. Shouldn't affect anything other than seperating folks from their $$$ Even Taurus and Rossi know to clean up those lines!

11. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Too many parts = Fail! The designer should be pistol whipped! I'd say he should be shot but it might jamb.

13. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Entirely unnecessary. Even if it weren't ugly as ****, that amount of mechanical crap is just ridiculous.

14. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

It's A Rube Goldberg machine....

This calls for a custom motivational

chiappabrowning.jpg

15. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

I do like concept of the low barrel reducing muzzle jump :)

16. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

:thumbup::thumbup::laugh::laugh: I can imagine the play that will develop in that goofy system after a few thousand rounds......If Mr. Browning isn't laughing..I'm sure he is spinning in his grave.

17. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I actually contacted them asking if they plan on coming out with a .44 magnum anytime soon. They couldn't officially say anything, but did say that they are looking into adding calibers. Just seems like this design could go a long way in taming some of the larger calibers. Could be a great hunter if they could get a single action trigger on it somehow.

18. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I thought the Kel Tec PMR30 was ugly, but this gun steals the crown.

19. oasis618

oasis618 Tacoma, Wa Active Member

Looks awful. Awful intriguing... Seems like a solution to a problem nobody really has.

20. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Seriously, besides new calibers or new alloy versions of the same thing we've been given for the last 40 years what real changes or attempts at improvement have come in the revolver world? And don't give me the "revolvers are already perfect" line because that is how product lines become extinct. I would think that anything that breathes some new life or interest into revolver world would be considered a good thing.