Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Chiappa adding RFID Chips to their guns

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pokerace, Jul 29, 2011.

1. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

2. Doubletap

Doubletap Newberg Well-Known Member

One more reason not to buy these cheap pieces of junk...

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

Most likely done for inventory purposes. Many products you buy have them but you would never know.

4. Phather

Phather South SnoCo Active Member

Wow, the response from MKS was pretty harsh. I don't see this being a huge issue, given that the chips are not powered and will only have make/model info in them. This may eventually be the norm for firearms, even adding info such as firearm owner into the chip for easy law enforcement tracking, and that is what I am not comfortable with. If this is just a high tech way of logging a serial number and nothing more, then it doesn't bother me.

5. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I dont have a big problem with the RFID chip.

I do have a big problem with their attitude towards their customers.

tlfreek and (deleted member) like this.
  6. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

First a chip in your gun, then a chip in YOU.

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I guess since I never heard of Chiappa firearms this isn't an issue to me.

OK looked them up another rip off of other peoples design reproduction company.

8. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

I was thinking about getting a Rhino revolver, now I have to do some research to make sure the tags are for inventory only and nothing else. From what I'm reading so far it's probably harmless.

9. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

Big brother would never dream of using a chip as a way to keep a tab on all his little brothers, now would he ?

10. pokerace

when are you going to have yours inserted...

Nutty4Guns and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

As if Chiappa needed any more help not selling those pieces of crap! They look like they were assembled by blind chimpanzees with arthritis.

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

2ng gen passive RFID can be read at an operating range of 40 feet and even much further in optimum conditions. I don't want anyone to be able to pick up that I have a concealed weapon, including police. When guns all have RFID you can bet the the laws will be changed so an RFID hit is enough probable cause to search you without a warrant.

Guns work just fine without RFID, so why would you buy one? Don't let this take a foothold in new gun MFG. Boycott any and all new guns with RFID

Abiqua, Nutty4Guns, 4Freedom and 11 others like this.
  13. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

I used to work with equipment that could reset RFID chips and tags, and I'm sure it would work on these tags/chips.

I always thought it would be funny to change the RFID number to 1984, but I didn't want to get fired.

14. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I've got a brass hammer, screwdrivers, and a set of punches. I'm not too worried as long as there are no additions to the law making the chip an integral part of the weapon and not to be removed.

15. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

Probably as soon as they're becoming usefull and mainstream and some basic security/encryption measures are taken.

I've thought about this quite a bit and honestly, I'm kind of excited for the prospects.
    I love the idea of a wallet and keys being antiquated annoyances that I once had to schlep around.

16. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'll bet placing them right next to a 14lb speaker magnet for an hour will fix them right up.

17. saabin

saabin Eugene Active Member

As long as there is no law passed saying I cant remove it then I have no problem with it. That being said, If you gave me a chiappa made anything I would probably use it to level up the wonkie leg on my workbench.

18. pokerace

shades of 1984..

19. riverrat373

riverrat373 Washington State Member

:paranoid:

20. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Tyranny takes baby steps. There are already kiddies nightclubbing in Amsterdam without carrying a wallet because they pay their cover with an implanted chip. Neat!

The way social engineers get naive people to accept invasive technologies is to first come up with uses for them that everyone can be on board with, then the babysteps continue. For instance, most people would be all for putting a chip in all dangerous criminals. Then there are simple RFID chips, not a huge deal; can't be read by satellites and that sort of thing. But people don't bother to know the difference in the technologies. Once they are convinced en mass that something is for their own good they give it a thumbs up.

That is how it starts. Nelson Rockefeller has said that his family and others eventually want to see everyone have an implanted chip. Is he joking? I don't think so. Should statements made by very powerful people be ignored? Probably not. Does the processing power exist to track everyone on the planet? Yes, Darpa/GIG. In reality, we are already there since your mobile phone is a crude version of this; tracks your every move both in real time and historically. Does it bother you that Verizon keeps a record of everywhere you are been for two years? They have admitted to that. It should bother you, but probably does not.

Doubletap and (deleted member) like this.