JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Could be worse, like waiting periods because they don't have the money to keep the employees to run the checks. It's just irritating though that the lack of fiscal responsibility leads to these sort of increases...

The increase in fees would not be necessary if the state hadn't added 139 new trooper positions when the economy and tax revenues were high. So now they are looking to sustain the budget for a police force that is fiscally unsustainable. The current legislature has increased just about every state fee in the 11 biennium budget they could, so I am sure they will gladly increase these fees as well.

The argument for the new troopers was that we need 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week state police patrols on our highways. Why couldn't a smaller state police force work with the county sheriff offices to provide that coverage? County law enforcement are supposed to be our main law enforcement anyway, not the state. But hey it is politically correct to hire more troopers so that all the politicians and governor can take credit for supposedly increasing our safety and being tough on crime.

Violent crime has dropped significantly since the state instituted mandatory minimum sentences for violent offenders. There is no need for a state police force of this size, especially since we can't afford it.

As troopers retire, they could eliminate their positions until the state police force is decreased to a size closer to what it was before they decided to create all those new trooper positions.

^^It feels like Oregon has too many cops. I'm a transplant and this area seems over-policed. Too many cops driving around in too many cars. That has to be a ton of overhead.

Violent crime has dropped significantly since the state instituted mandatory minimum sentences for violent offenders.

Violent crime has been falling for the last 30 years, nationally, irrespective of whether states have mandatory minimums or not. Studies conducted to assess the impact of mandatory minimum sentencing has shown no significant drop in violent crime. That is, the rate of decline did not increase in states that implemented mandatory minimums, however, violent crime decreased anyway because it was already declining due to other factors.

^^It feels like Oregon has too many cops. I'm a transplant and this area seems over-policed. Too many cops driving around in too many cars. That has to be a ton of overhead.

The weird thing is that down in Eugene, there aren't nearly enough police, but Springfield has plenty of police and just opened a new jail.

Why don't the people who "benefit" from this service pay for it? The person RECEIVING the permit does not benefit from the permit process. The only people who benefit are the ones who want to control gun posession. (i.e. The people most likely NOT to get a permit.) Let them pay for it.

The weird thing is that down in Eugene, there aren't nearly enough police, but Springfield has plenty of police and just opened a new jail.

This is because Eugene/Springfield has one body and two heads!:s0114:

The culture in Eugene is very anti police and anti military. Springfield is just keeping it "real" and making up for what Eugene isn't.

So glad I don't live there anymore;)

I heard about this raising the fee's by OSP a long time ago. Sadly OSP more often than not gets their way when it comes to stuff like this and no matter how loud we are we will still get burned :angry:

Kinda feels like nickel and dime gun control to me.

The problem is the legislators who approve these measures. As long as my tax money is bying beer and cigerettes for people on welfare then the State has too much money.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top