Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Chew on this

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by joken, Jun 8, 2010.

1. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. HalfNutz

HalfNutz Kirkland (Juanita) Member

I guess every state has its drawbacks. That really sucks for you guys on Oregon.

3. Bruce

Bruce Jefferson County, Wa Member

That sucks!

4. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

This really sucks!! As long as the money went to providing more uniformed officers it would at least be easier to stomach though.

5. Minisocks

Minisocks Portland Member

Gotta pay for those services somehow. If we can't cover the budget with taxes, we charge "service fees".

6. mr11b

mr11b Portland, OR Member

Could be worse, like waiting periods because they don't have the money to keep the employees to run the checks. It's just irritating though that the lack of fiscal responsibility leads to these sort of increases...

7. Guns

Guns Salem New Member

The increase in fees would not be necessary if the state hadn't added 139 new trooper positions when the economy and tax revenues were high. So now they are looking to sustain the budget for a police force that is fiscally unsustainable. The current legislature has increased just about every state fee in the 11 biennium budget they could, so I am sure they will gladly increase these fees as well.

The argument for the new troopers was that we need 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week state police patrols on our highways. Why couldn't a smaller state police force work with the county sheriff offices to provide that coverage? County law enforcement are supposed to be our main law enforcement anyway, not the state. But hey it is politically correct to hire more troopers so that all the politicians and governor can take credit for supposedly increasing our safety and being tough on crime.

Violent crime has dropped significantly since the state instituted mandatory minimum sentences for violent offenders. There is no need for a state police force of this size, especially since we can't afford it.

As troopers retire, they could eliminate their positions until the state police force is decreased to a size closer to what it was before they decided to create all those new trooper positions.

8. Minisocks

Minisocks Portland Member

^^It feels like Oregon has too many cops. I'm a transplant and this area seems over-policed. Too many cops driving around in too many cars. That has to be a ton of overhead.

Violent crime has been falling for the last 30 years, nationally, irrespective of whether states have mandatory minimums or not. Studies conducted to assess the impact of mandatory minimum sentencing has shown no significant drop in violent crime. That is, the rate of decline did not increase in states that implemented mandatory minimums, however, violent crime decreased anyway because it was already declining due to other factors.

9. smithmax

smithmax here Member

The weird thing is that down in Eugene, there aren't nearly enough police, but Springfield has plenty of police and just opened a new jail.

10. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

Why don't the people who "benefit" from this service pay for it? The person RECEIVING the permit does not benefit from the permit process. The only people who benefit are the ones who want to control gun posession. (i.e. The people most likely NOT to get a permit.) Let them pay for it.

11. AIRASSAULT18B

AIRASSAULT18B Permanent Vacation Member

Duplicate thread. I posted this yesterday morning in the Legal political firearms issues. I also posted the location & time of the hearings there.

12. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

2/3 of the money is going to fund something other then background checks

13. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Not around here!

Did the state fund the back ground law when passed? Or is it funded solely by the fees it generates?

14. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

How would it paying for more of the King's Tax Collectors make a new, needless tax any easier to stomach?

15. Russianfist

Russianfist Sweet home, Oregon Active Member

This is because Eugene/Springfield has one body and two heads!:laugh:

The culture in Eugene is very anti police and anti military. Springfield is just keeping it "real" and making up for what Eugene isn't.

So glad I don't live there anymore;)

16. Russianfist

Russianfist Sweet home, Oregon Active Member

I heard about this raising the fee's by OSP a long time ago. Sadly OSP more often than not gets their way when it comes to stuff like this and no matter how loud we are we will still get burned :angry:

Kinda feels like nickel and dime gun control to me.

17. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The problem is the legislators who approve these measures. As long as my tax money is bying beer and cigerettes for people on welfare then the State has too much money.

18. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

19. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

Huh? Your tax money is going to buy beer and cigarettes for people on welfare? I think I missed that Glen Beck episode.

20. smithmax

smithmax here Member

TANF is just money, use it for whatever you like (i.e. beer and cigs)