JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The following policy has been circulated to all employees of the college and in fact face to face classes were conducted to make sure everyone knows the policy. It is refreshing to know there is at lease one educational institution that learned from the UCC and other campus tragedies.

Firearms on Our Campuses
I want to make sure that everyone is aware that faculty, staff, students and members of the general public with concealed weapons permits may legally carry their weapons onto our campuses and into our classrooms. The College Policy 2440 wording that might conceal this fact, saying: "The possession of any firearm, taser, knife with a blade exceeding four (4) inches or illegal weapon, is prohibited on Chemeketa Community College property or college controlled property, in accordance with both State and Federal Law." It should really say "except in accordance with State and Federal Law," as it's the State Law that is allowing concealed weapons on campus.

For the record, this isn't a recent change in the policy, but a clarification in the wording of the policy. I applaud Chemeketa.

Outstanding!

Met a Clackamas Community College Security Officer on Monday after the UCC event.
He was attending Clackamas County Sheriff's Carbine qualification course
No military background, but handles an AR carbine well.
I asked if the college was allowing him to carry, he said can't carry, if caught, would be fired.
If caught...
He is a very impressive young man (to me).

I am confident that there is no Oregon or Federal law that bans possession of a knife exceeding 4 inches. The same is true for Tasers too.

These are rules that the college itself has made up, and are not based on laws. Having a CHL only allows you to carry a gun. So the bans on knives and Tasers would still be in place for someone with a CHL.

See, with an attitude and policy like that, Id stand behind them and send my kids compared to batbubblegum crazy indoctrination facilities alternatives like U of O.

Wish I was young, nearby and needing some Community College. Chemeketa would be my first choice, now!

Great job, Chemeketa! Wow, that's two threads today that I was able to congratulate institutions for having common sense!:)

Way back in the day when I was a puppy in the Texas educational system, anyone who did not keep their deer rifle in their truck/car was looked upon with great suspicion. LOL.

Chemeketa also provides criminal justice programs that are pretty popular for Police / Corrections in Salem. Remember that the DPSST academy is there in Salem, along with 4 prisons and countless LE agencies in the valley. They have a good working relationship with all of them.

having a policy like that out in the open WILL deter evil. or make evil think twice.

When i went to chemeketa from 06-07 i was aware of this and felt safer than i did in high school.

Do these laws only apply to community colleges?? What about Oregon State University? University of Oregon??

I doubt U of O has such an agreeable policy. When I attended U of O I am pretty sure they had a don't ask / Don't tell policy.

I didn't ask what they thought about my concealed carry, and I didn't tell anyone I was carrying.

Okay so legally it's a non issue but as for the university's "student code of conduct" they can expel someone for violating their school policy?? This is how I understand it(being a University student)

that is how I understand it.

that is how I understand it.
Yep. That's bullbubblegum! I don't like the idea of being expelled from a major university so for now I keep my glock locked in my car in a lock box off-campus(not that it'll be of any use in an active shooter situation!)

Last Edited:
Yep. That's bullbubblegum! I don't like the idea of being expelled from a major university so for now I keep my glock locked in my car in a lock box off-campus(not that it'll be of any use in an active shooter situation!)
I agree its BS they could expell you if its a public building. I wonder if someone could challenge that in court?

these days, I wouldnt enter a college unarmed regardless if they would expell me. Most people dont know the law and think they are full GFZs like the UCC shooter, the antis have literally created a killing field.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top