Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Chemeketa Community College's Firearm Policy

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by semperfi68to70, Oct 21, 2015.

1. semperfi68to70

semperfi68to70 South Salem, Oregon Well-Known Member

The following policy has been circulated to all employees of the college and in fact face to face classes were conducted to make sure everyone knows the policy. It is refreshing to know there is at lease one educational institution that learned from the UCC and other campus tragedies.

Firearms on Our Campuses
    I want to make sure that everyone is aware that faculty, staff, students and members of the general public with concealed weapons permits may legally carry their weapons onto our campuses and into our classrooms. The College Policy 2440 wording that might conceal this fact, saying: “The possession of any firearm, taser, knife with a blade exceeding four (4) inches or illegal weapon, is prohibited on Chemeketa Community College property or college controlled property, in accordance with both State and Federal Law.” It should really say “except in accordance with State and Federal Law,” as it’s the State Law that is allowing concealed weapons on campus.

For the record, this isn't a recent change in the policy, but a clarification in the wording of the policy. I applaud Chemeketa.

soberups, Stomper, Koda and 18 others like this.
  2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Outstanding!

Met a Clackamas Community College Security Officer on Monday after the UCC event.
    He was attending Clackamas County Sheriff's Carbine qualification course
    No military background, but handles an AR carbine well.
    I asked if the college was allowing him to carry, he said can't carry, if caught, would be fired.
    If caught...
    He is a very impressive young man (to me).

3. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

I am confident that there is no Oregon or Federal law that bans possession of a knife exceeding 4 inches. The same is true for Tasers too.

These are rules that the college itself has made up, and are not based on laws. Having a CHL only allows you to carry a gun. So the bans on knives and Tasers would still be in place for someone with a CHL.

4. Pops1911

Pops1911 Cinebar/Issaquah Well-Known Member

Hurray for Chemeketa Community College! -applause-

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well darn. All those times I was carrying concealed on Chemeketa campus I was actually
    OK. o_O

Stomper, Koda, Oathkeeper1775 and 4 others like this.
  6. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

See, with an attitude and policy like that, Id stand behind them and send my kids compared to batbubblegum crazy indoctrination facilities alternatives like U of O.

Stomper and etrain16 like this.
  7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Wish I was young, nearby and needing some Community College. Chemeketa would be my first choice, now!

Great job, Chemeketa! Wow, that's two threads today that I was able to congratulate institutions for having common sense!:)

8. Pops1911

Pops1911 Cinebar/Issaquah Well-Known Member

Way back in the day when I was a puppy in the Texas educational system, anyone who did not keep their deer rifle in their truck/car was looked upon with great suspicion. LOL.

Stomper, Oathkeeper1775 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  9. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012 DPR Portland Well-Known Member

Something good to come out of Salem? What???

10. IheartSig

IheartSig Beaverton Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter Platinum Supporter

Chemeketa also provides criminal justice programs that are pretty popular for Police / Corrections in Salem. Remember that the DPSST academy is there in Salem, along with 4 prisons and countless LE agencies in the valley. They have a good working relationship with all of them.

11. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

having a policy like that out in the open WILL deter evil. or make evil think twice.

When i went to chemeketa from 06-07 i was aware of this and felt safer than i did in high school.

12. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good for them. Finally, someone is able to see what's really going on out there. Gun free zones are bad ideas.

13. Khalsa

Khalsa Active Member

Do these laws only apply to community colleges?? What about Oregon State University? University of Oregon??

14. IheartSig

IheartSig Beaverton Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter Platinum Supporter

I doubt U of O has such an agreeable policy. When I attended U of O I am pretty sure they had a don't ask / Don't tell policy.

I didn't ask what they thought about my concealed carry, and I didn't tell anyone I was carrying.

bnsaibum and Khalsa like this.
  15. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

the laws apply to all public schools.

16. Khalsa

Khalsa Active Member

Okay so legally it's a non issue but as for the university's "student code of conduct" they can expel someone for violating their school policy?? This is how I understand it(being a University student)

17. Koda

that is how I understand it.

Khalsa likes this.
  18. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

All of this will be moot as soon as Ginny BurDICK and friends get another crack at getting more legislation passed next session. You can bet they'll want to ban CHL holders from carrying on campus... like that'll keep everyone safe. :rolleyes:

19. Khalsa

Khalsa Active Member

Yep. That's bullbubblegum! I don't like the idea of being expelled from a major university so for now I keep my glock locked in my car in a lock box off-campus(not that it'll be of any use in an active shooter situation!)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  20. Koda

I agree its BS they could expell you if its a public building. I wonder if someone could challenge that in court?

these days, I wouldnt enter a college unarmed regardless if they would expell me. Most people dont know the law and think they are full GFZs like the UCC shooter, the antis have literally created a killing field.

Khalsa likes this.