JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to get a rangefinder but all I plan on using it for is under 600 yards. Don't hunt much now but never know. What I plan on is just marking distances in the Sierra Nevada mtns when I camp and want to do some random shooting. I want it to be clear and easy to read and preferably under 300 or even better 200.
Anyone have and ideas?

I use a Nikon laser rangefinder. It works well, and I got it on sale for around $100. I'm not at home so I am not sure of the model, probably am aculon or a prostaff. I haven't ranged anything longer than 450 yds with it, tho. Use it hunting.

Go to stores, try a bunch. Pay attention to readout visibility and sight clarity. Some brands have varied results when you get to the rated range. I have a leica rangemaster 1200 (bought used) that only gets me to 1K, which is more than enough. Also depends on what your target is: I have gotten better results ranging doug fir or structures than rocks and dirt. Sometimes on Mt. Hood I will range the adjacent ridge (usually too far). YMMV.
Back when I was shopping for one, Sportsmans let me take rangefinders outside to test how they worked at a long distance.

I bought a used Leica 1000 for $150 about 5 years ago. Best clarity, (better than the bino's I was using at the time), and would range way further than the 1000 yds that was advertised. I've had just about every brand of low to mid range priced range finders. Still have the Leica's.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top