JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Guy could have depressed the muzzle to a point below the edge of the window. Wouldn't have mattered a millisecond when opening fire. Aside from militarization of the police the "us vs them" mentality has been growing steadily since the late '60's. A particularly dangerous combination! This whole incident and thread has depressed me. Must be getting old.

PS: Until recently I operated on the principle that "the policeman is my friend" like kids of my generation were taught in school. Even after being arrested as a misguided juvie! Being friendly and cooperative has always been a success dealing with LEO's! Wearing pretty thin these days though.

Last Edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe I see two of the 'Ten Commandments of Gun Safety' being violated - Always point the muzzle in a safe direction and never point you gun at something you do not intend to shoot.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe I see two of the 'Ten Commandments of Gun Safety' being violated - Always point the muzzle in a safe direction and never point you gun at something you do not intend to shoot.

Oh come on, just a bit of training could fix that.... I think we all have a good feeling of the distain some officers feel to the general populace. Just look at the self professed retired LEO in this thread trying to defend the actions in this photo. All in the name of officer safety, makes me sick.

Sorry, I'm sick of seeing the references to the Dorner related incidents. Dorner was actively driving around looking for cops, and taking shots at them when he found them. Some were wounded and at least one was killed while he did so.

Police shot a Blue Pickup Truck when they were looking for a Grey one...innocent people could have been killed. You see nothing wrong with that?

Lets go over some basics...

1) You have to positively identify your target as a threat before you engage. These officers saw a suspicious vehicle driving around, made up their minds that it was the suspects and ambushed it. They engaged a friendly target. I can understand if they were driving the same vehicle as the BOLO, but even then restraint and discipline was severly lacking.

2) You have to have a deadly threat to use deadly force. Driving around with Newspapers is not a deadly threat; I don't think I can be any clearer with that. Nevertheless, even if it was Dorner, you can't just shoot him on site unless he is actively being a threat. Otherwise, you end up with a bunch of trigger happy super troopers shooting at any vehicle/person that even remotely ressembles your suspect. CASE IN POINT - CHRIS DORNER!

3) You are responsible for the result of every bullet you fire. Even if you have a clear, deadly threat and engage him/her you still have an obligation to the community to protect, not endanger, them. Otherwise, you become just as bad, if not worse, than the threat you are trying to stop. Case in Point - NYPD Times Square Shooting, Hitting two innocent bystanders for a guy pointing his finger at officers

If this situation I have seen pictured is accurately described in the accompanying article, there is nothing wrong with the officer's actions, especially since he maintained an indexed trigger finger.

If you see nothing wrong with cops treating everyone like criminals then don't be surprised when everyone starts treating cops like jack-booted thugs.

I showed this to my wife and she kicked a hole in the sheet rock.

Remind me never to piss of your wife!

Bad cops are in the news constantly. You can't accurately keep track of all the reports even on a single day.

There is a growing separation between citizens & those on government payroll.

I can appreciate a decent cop just as much as anyone else. They are unfortunately dwindling in numbers.

I have no clue why anyone would want to be a cop. Other than being delusional or typical power trips.

People often seem to blow off reports as if they are isolated incidents, will never happen to them, their local community, or blame victims in aggressive incidents. This mentality is regularly displayed here

In some sense i feel sorry for officers because they are becoming increasingly alienated. On the other hand....

I have no idea what it's like to live life on a mental level of an officer, who is somehow unaware of an increasing discontent within his own community.

If the contact involved a elderly couple, a lone woman, a group of teens it would be egregious and outrageous, but as it applies to that pic of that single contact, with the officer having whatever description and information that was available at the time, my opinion (and I'm allowed just as you are) is his conduct was reasonable under the circumstances or facts as he knew then or as we know now.

Oh I get it... If a single male is in a car at a police roadblock, then he is to be treated as an armed & dangerous criminal so pointing an M4 in his face is acceptable to you and your LEO brethren??? That is utter BS!!! I'll have to remember that the next time I am at a police roadblock and act appropriately... WOW, now I just feel all warm and fuzzy safe!!!

This is exactly why I will avoid all roadblocks..

Yep just waiting for the guy to make a sudden move to grab his phone as it slipped or wallet.

If I have to drive around them 75 miles on dirt roads, I will..

This is exactly why I will avoid all roadblocks..

Yep just waiting for the guy to make a sudden move to grab his phone as it slipped or wallet.

If I have to drive around them 75 miles on dirt roads, I will..

As has been hinted to above, I have read that certain jurisdictions place "Sobriety Checkpoint Ahead" signs on a freeway with one exit before the checkpoint. The cars that exit find themselves at the "Colonoscopy Checkpoint".

I have to say that California LEO's are probably the worst trained and disciplined police force in the country.

Or out of the country for that matter. We encountered a checkpoint on highway 2 between Nogales and San Luis. The Mexican army regular, armed with an MP5 kept it pointed obliquely at the ground while questioning us. Though my wife speaks Spanish fluently, she just kept repeating "No comprendo" in her worst Amercian accent until he gave up and waved us on disgustedly.

Do the work and you'll get a clearer impression.

More like do the work and develop an "us versus them" attitude. Police work runs in my family. My dad was a chief, who in his younger days broke up many bar fights and handled domestic squabbles without ever shooting anybody. He never lost his sense of humanity. My nephew was an undercover drug cop in a valley town in CA. He had to quit that assignment because he began to see everybody as a perp and a scumbag. His wife was ready to leave him. He recently retired as a lieutenant detective, and he's still married. My cousin recently retired as an LA area CHP. He was appalled by this picture.

Happy times ahead! Special shout out to all the deluded people that made it all possible. You know who you are. You listen to that awful 'at least I know I'm free' song and have a flag in your window.

You were fine with death and oppression 'over there' so lets see how it feels 'over here.'

This type of PD behavior is why the new Seattle PD Use of Force includes pointing a weapon at someone as a Use of Force that must be reported.

Clearly if someone aims a weapon at another person it's a Use of Force. That PD have fought this designation shows the disconnect. If there was justification to draw the weapon then there's justification to arrest/detain and a requirement to report the incident. That they cavalierly draw and aim at innocent civilians and bystanders shows their utter contempt for the law and the population that they serve!

Again, pretty clearly, if ANYONE points a weapon at another person it would be considered an Assault, which, if unjustified, is a criminal act.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top