JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder if Velzey could rifle that. lol

298100-7cdfde2e10f32d180e06aa2182bb027e.jpg

Use your actual chamber.....you might be surprised.

Sort of like this.......

45seatingpossibilitiesx.jpg

This is not the end all to it. You will probably have to "fine tune" the fit for maximum reliability and accuracy.

BTW....the re-size die can only go sooo far down the length of the case's body and there might be burrs on the extractor groove that could affect things. Then sometimes, it has to do with the brand of brass (for those that use range pick ups).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Use your actual chamber.....you might be surprised.

Sort of like this.......

View attachment 348442

This is not the end all to it. You will probably have to "fine tune" the fit for maximum reliability and accuracy.

BTW....the re-size die can only go sooo far down the length of the case's body and there might be burrs on the extractor groove that could affect things. Then sometimes, it has to do with the brand of brass (for those that use range pick ups).

Aloha, Mark

Thanks for that Mark. I did chamber the rounds every one of them worked, they extracted well and no Hang-Ups and surprisingly no marks on the bullets at all now I'm really stumped...o_Oo_Oo_O

Bulge?
Not a Glock smile but where the bullet is not seated center of case so it will expand the brass to one side.

Makes the brass look a little pregnant.

Thanks for that Mark. I did chamber the rounds every one of them worked, they extracted well and no Hang-Ups and surprisingly no marks on the bullets at all now I'm really stumped...o_Oo_Oo_O
Well don't be too stumped. The case gauge is for sure a smaller/tighter dimension than your (XDS) pistol chamber. The case gauge should be just tighter than the tightest known SAAMI chamber. Just because they don't fit the gauge doesn't mean they won't fit and function in your pistol. If you are confident everything is seated/crimped right and things are as concentric as they're supposed to be and they fit your barrel well...try them out on some paper.

While I would not rely on those rounds for match ammo or for defensive use they will work well enough for range fodder if they will chamber in your pistol. I typically get around 10-20 per thousand that will fail the case gauge but still function perfectly the primary reason I use a case gauge is t weed out any that may cause a feeding issue when I am up against the clock.

Jim, I don't use those case gauges. Maybe MY 9mm rounds would do the same as yours? I use the "Plunk Test" and adjust OAL accordingly. The issues I've run into is the Montana Gold bullets I use have a taller "Bearing Surface" than other bullets. I need to shorten my OAL for two of our 9mm guns so their chambers will accommodate the MG bullets. I take into account for shortened OAL with powder load and watch for pressure signs.

75610d1391816364-bullet-seating-tolerances-bulletpartsyp0.gif

From this picture.....
298122-696ff324e94b00ce4d4366edb89091f8.jpg
Are you sure you bullet isn't hitting the rim at the bottom of the gauge a little bit?

I've never owned a case gauge per say, I just check by manually cycling the rounds through the weapon.

Is the brass all of the same make? Same bullets?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is if you're not being consistent at each stage. Fully extending the ram on each stroke, whether it be for sizing, flaring, seating or crimping.

Are you lubing all the cases the same or is it a carbide die?

I use the Lee Deluxe carbide 4 die set. And includes a full length sizing die, for the 45 ACP.

I agree with DizzyJ and don't have a case gauge but chamber and cycle the cartridge. And using full complete strokes on your press. I have a small container of screwed up reloads. It happens ,too me anyway. The powder weight is what I was always extra cautious with. Your a smart man for being careful.

Just for kicks check the tension of the dies in the press, there are times a die will back out if not set properly in the press.
Silver Hand

This is a good point I prefer Lee dies to any others but those stupid o ring lock rings don't work great and I replace them with Dillon rings as soon as I can I just had the same issue I loaded up about 600 and at some point the seating die loosened up just a bit and while the completed rounds all pass a case gauge they are about 2 thousands too long to fit in most of my 9mm magazines thankfully they do fit my little g43 magazines and feed and fire great so I don't have to pull them but just a reminder to check things.

Well don't be too stumped. The case gauge is for sure a smaller/tighter dimension than your (XDS) pistol chamber. The case gauge should be just tighter than the tightest known SAAMI chamber. Just because they don't fit the gauge doesn't mean they won't fit and function in your pistol. If you are confident everything is seated/crimped right and things are as concentric as they're supposed to be and they fit your barrel well...try them out on some paper.

Well they all seated in the chamber and went bang today at the range. No surprises, which is always good when it comes to making your own ammo....:D

Jim, I don't use those case gauges. Maybe MY 9mm rounds would do the same as yours? I use the "Plunk Test" and adjust OAL accordingly. The issues I've run into is the Montana Gold bullets I use have a taller "Bearing Surface" than other bullets. I need to shorten my OAL for two of our 9mm guns so their chambers will accommodate the MG bullets. I take into account for shortened OAL with powder load and watch for pressure signs.

View attachment 348603

From this picture.....
View attachment 348604
Are you sure you bullet isn't hitting the rim at the bottom of the gauge a little bit?

That is my assessment Mike, they fit perfectly upside down (2nd pic in the OP).
That rim is the case depth maximum & I measured all cases.

I use the Lee Deluxe carbide 4 die set. And includes a full length sizing die, for the 45 ACP.

I agree with DizzyJ and don't have a case gauge but chamber and cycle the cartridge. And using full complete strokes on your press. I have a small container of screwed up reloads. It happens ,too me anyway. The powder weight is what I was always extra cautious with. Your a smart man for being careful.

Thanks for that, I call it cautiousness.....:D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top