JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just thought I'd give a little update on my trial and tribulations of getting into reloading and some of what I have learned. I know enough right now (as all n00bs do) to be dangerous as with any new hobby, we kind of get the mentality that this is so easy even a caveman could do it. I have not had any mishaps (knock on wood) but I do check ALL test loads. As for my 40 Smith & Wesson that I just had a feeling about, nothing really stood out as the cases looked fine but when I ran them through the case checker (which I do all my ammo that I make) I found a surprise that not all ammo that we produce it's going to work for some reason or another.
5 out of 50 did not gauge so they were pulled, measured & inspected to find that they must be caused by bullet misalignment because the cases themselves were within specs.
One of the nogo rounds did pass when turning it while in the gauge. o_Oo_Oo_O
Pics tell the tale.
Thoughts?

20170309_133011.jpg 20170309_140857.jpg

So the cases aren't too long? (I've never had .40 cases too long.) How is your crimp? Seems odd to have 5 out of 50. Are you being sure to raise the ram all the way in each station? If you aren't belling the case just enough you might be starting your projectiles a bit off. Normally with .40 S&W I would suspect a bit of a bulge or ring right above the extractor groove. Measure there and see if it's a tad big for the case guage.

I don't load .40 and am nearly as new at this as you are, but those rounds in the bottom picture look like they've still got the bell on the case mouth for seating the bullet. Are you putting them through a crimping die after the bullets are seated?

All the measurements are within specs, I turned them over to check case length and they were all within specs yet when I turn it back over it must be that the bullets or not seated properly or they're off Cantor little bit. That's all I can think of because I measured each case afterwards.
This was the first batch with the new Lee turret and I noticed that not all the bullets seated the same.
I guess the next time I run a batch I'll check them when I feel a difference in the handle stroke.

20170228_104621.jpg

All the measurements are within specs, I turned them over to check case length and they were all within specs yet when I turn it back over it must be that the bullets or not seated properly or they're off Cantor little bit. That's all I can think of because I measured each case afterwards.
This was the first batch with the new Lee turret and I noticed that not all the bullets seated the same.
I guess the next time I run a batch I'll check them when I feel a difference in the handle stroke.

View attachment 348215
Yeah and if you get some that don't fit wait on the disassembly and figure out why first. If you roll the cartridge on a flat surface you can see if something is misaligned. Also you can run them through seating/crimping 1 more time and then plunk them in the case gauge to see if they fit. What brand dies?

I've never owned a case gauge per say, I just check by manually cycling the rounds through the weapon.

Is the brass all of the same make? Same bullets?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is if you're not being consistent at each stage. Fully extending the ram on each stroke, whether it be for sizing, flaring, seating or crimping.

Are you lubing all the cases the same or is it a carbide die?

I've never owned a case gauge per say, I just check by manually cycling the rounds through the weapon.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is if you're not being consistent at each stage. Fully extending the ram on each stroke, whether it be for sizing, flaring, seating or crimping.

A case gauge doesn't tell the whole story. It's handy for ckecking max size to fit any chamber, but I prefer to load for my own chambers.

Interesting I been reloading for 48 years now (started with dad at age 11) and I have never seen a test gauge like that ever. I guess I learned something this evening.

Course I am not sure I would have a use for one. I weigh every powder charge I seat every bullet one at a time I hand set every primer. And I measure every case.

I do each step in batches so that I have a rhythm going. And I do nothing but reload in a small room all by myself. Unless one of the grand daughters is in to help me. Then they have a specific job like sorting cases or pulling the handle.

Interesting I been reloading for 48 years now (started with dad at age 11) and I have never seen a test gauge like that ever. I guess I learned something this evening.

Course I am not sure I would have a use for one. I weigh every powder charge I seat every bullet one at a time I hand set every primer. And I measure every case.

I do each step in batches so that I have a rhythm going. And I do nothing but reload in a small room all by myself. Unless one of the grand daughters is in to help me. Then they have a specific job like sorting cases or pulling the handle.

Nice to know there's another member of the "old fart" club out there.... you have me beat by a few years though... I started reloading with my Dad about 45 years ago. I have never used a case gauge either, but like you, I did each stage in batches and chamber checked my loads. However I just moved to a progressive press last year and I am thinking it may be a good idea to pick up ones for the handgun calibers I load on the progressive just because it feels like I am a little more disconnected from the process.

Good on you getting the granddaughters involved. You need to start the kids early and show the the ins and outs of firearms before their heads get filled with anti-gun rubbish at school or on TV.

CJ, the bottom picture is blurry. @WWShooter may have a point, or it may be the blurry photo. Mobil890 has a point too on the bullet concentricity.

Please photograph the five bad and some good ones side by side, roll them a 1/4 turn and photograph them again. No blurry image please.

Cases that don't fit are not to be trifled with - you need to know exactly why: is it the components, your technique, or a little of both?

Are you using a Lee Factory Crimp die?
Are you pulling them if they don't fit in a gauge but fit in your pistol? If the latter, I'd keep em separate but shoot em..
anyway, good job so far!

Your bullet expanded the brass making a bulbs just enough on the case. My guess. A FCD removes that issue. It confirms the outside diameter.

Ensure the brass doesn't look like a pregnant beluga on the side.

Last Edited:
Too much crimp bulging the cases on seating? It's kind of surprising how very little resistance in the handle translates into so much, "Squeeze" I'll say. One case being .840, and another being .844...If you're set for a firm crimp on the .840" case you'll most likely bulge the case on an .844 case. I measured several of my .40 case that are on the bench ready to load to get the .004 spread. Measure some of yours and see what you get. I do not trim any handgun brass except rounds requiring a roll crimp. Never had a chambering issue except from bullet style requiring me to shorten OAL. ;)

Oh, I'm a single stage only guy on a Rockchucker.

I had problems with bulged bases on .40 and some seating issues (bullet not straight), The lee bulge buster has solved all of those problems and can be used on loaded rounds so pulling bullets may not be necessary.

All the brass was prepped before I set up the new Lee turret press. It is once fired from me XDM.
The cases are all good as stated before but have narrowed it down to the bullets being the culprit. Not sure how this happened but that's what seems to be the problem. Some didn't seem to seat as easily as most so alignment may be the root cause.

There is no case bulge, if you noticed in the pic with the bullets pointing up that they all fit in the checker satisfactorily. I do not have a crimp die but have one coming soon. I have not tried to cycle then through the gun yet but will Saturday at the range.
When I loaded my first ever batch of 40S&W on my RCBS press I had problems with bullet alignment and Dyjital helped me out tremendously, thanks man!!!
Thanks for all the comments and advice folks, I'll keep at it till I get it right.;)

For those wondering about the case gauge checker, the way it's constructed and what it does. I recently bought this one because I'm going to be reloading a lot of 40 Smith & Wesson and it checks seven shells versus the normal round ones that check one shell is a Time.
In the pic you'll notice that there is a rim cut out the same size as the long hole and that rim is the end of the case. ;)

20170310_091638.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top