1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

checking loads with different "lots" of powder

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ripcity, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

When starting a new lot of powder, of the same powder, do you do a small run of test loads to make sure the powder is the same? Lets say the powder was purchased a couple year from each other. I know it should be the same, but I was wondering if any of you do this for safety measures?
  2. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

I like to run some of the new lot over the chrony to see how it compares to my previous data. If the charge is near max I will back it off and work up. Usually I find the new lot to perform just as the old. It never hurts to take extra safety measures.
  3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I don't spend a lot of time obsessing over lot numbers. In today's world, manufacturing of just about everything is so highly repeatable from "batch to batch" I don't see the issues like "back in the day" when it was more like a bunch of "mad chemists" running the plants.

If I were to be totally anal about my loads like some who are competing, and winning or loosing hangs on how many fibers in the target are torn at the edge of a group, maybe so.

For those who worry a lot about lot to lot variations, just buy a couple of cases containing 8# jugs. Wait, maybe that's why I don't notice much "lot variances":laugh: My annual powder orders range in the 40-48 lb range.