JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you can believe their "estimate" of the wait time. Really, it will be approved when it happens. If you want to call, then call, but I just wait it out. If you get to 12 months, then for sure call to see if you are in trouble status.

I've received 3 stamps, waiting on a 4th and plan on sending in a form 1 to SBR my IMI model B Uzi.

How long should I wait to check form status, or do I just stay in limbo until I get a call from the dealer?

Always check the status of your transfer. Anyone who tells you not to is simply not to be trusted or is simply misinformed.

At last count NFA Branch at ATF had two full-time employees doing nothing but answering the phone and handling status inquiries. It is as routine as as it gets.

First check your transfer status about six weeks after your check has cleared the bank. This is why YOU send a check of YOURS for your $200 transfer fee and not a money order or the dealer's check. This confirms TO YOU that ATF has received your paperwork. It may take them six weeks or longer to enter your transfer into their computer system, which is why you wait that long to start.

Checking your status is very easy. NFA Branch's number is: 1-202-927-8330. Call between the hours of 10am-3pm East Coast Time. I recommend you don't call on Monday morning or Friday afternoon.

FIRST: You should have a copy of the Form 4, as submitted by your dealer, in front of you. NEVER do business with an NFA dealer who refuses to provide you a copy of the transfer form as submitted. The Form 4 will need to have circled the "I Do" on Item 9 "Consent to Disclosure of information to Transferee". Otherwise ATF cannot legally tell you, the transferee, anything.

The conversation is very short and simple and should take no more than 2 minutes. It should go like this:

ATF phone-droid: "ATF"

You: "Transfer status inquiry please."

ATF phone-droid: "Item serial number?"

You: "The serial number is (state the serial number, without dashes, hypens, slashes or anything other than letters and numbers - that is the way ATF enters serial numbers into their system now.)"

ATF phone-droid: "and you are. . .?"

You: "I am (state your name as appears on the Form 4). I am the transferee."

ATF phone-droid: "And the item is being transferred from . . . ?"

You: "(State the name of the Transferor as appears on the Form 4)"

ATF phone-droid: You will get one of four responses:
a. NO RECORD "We show no record of a transfer in our system."
If has been six weeks then start checking once a week until you get the pending message.

b. PENDING "We show item went pending on (date) and expect the transfer to be completed by (date)."
Now begins the wait. About a month from the projected approval date give them another call to check on things.

c. APPROVED "We show that transfer as having been approved on (date)."
It can take up to 30 days for the Transferor to receive an approved transfer. If he has not by then, you can request ATF to send another copy- but this does not happen often.

d. RETURNED "We show that transfer as having been returned to the Transferor on (date)."
Something is wrong. Check with your dealer.

You: "Thank you very much. Goodbye" ALWAYS be polite and respectful to ATF employees on the phone, NO MATTER WHAT. Remember - your transfer depends on it.

FYI, I would never do business with an NFA dealer who did not actively support a transferee's right and ability to check on a transfer. I have rather a lot of experience in this matter.

Checking on the transfer yourself is the best, and often ONLY way, to confirm that your NFA dealer is doing his part promptly and honestly. The opposite case is far too common these days.

Remember: Trust, but verify. This isn't about trust - its business.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top