JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wanted to learn how to hand checker so I made an AR grip out of oak to practice on. Got a starter checkering set from Dem-Bart at a local wood working store. If anyone is looking for a pass-time checkering is the way to go since this took me about 2 weeks. :)

http://www.dembartco.com/products.htm

TkijLqP.jpg
ikOYi2O.jpg

That sure looks great. How hard was it to do?

Not too bad to learn. I watched some videos, Midway has a good one that I cant find right now for some reason. There is definitely a skill to learn on depth of cut and not going too far near the edge.

The main cutter looks like this. One smooth ridge that goes in an existing cut as a guide and the other ridge has the file. Makes it easy to cut parallel lines

21.jpg

You did really well on Oak. When I was practicing I found some hard maple that had less grain worked best for me.
I couldn't keep the depth consistent on oak.

You sure have a lot of spare time on your hands.... for an MD. o_O;):D

I dont do hospital rounds, and I can checker when Im on call at home taking BS questions from nursing homes like
"the patient fell but did not get hurt"
"we ran out of 650mg tylenol tabs, can we use 2 325 mg tabs?"
"I accidentally gave the patient an 80mg oxycontin that was not ordered, should I keep giving him the oxycontin?" and
"the ER said this medication might cause diarrhea as a side effect, the patient is sleeping and not having diarrhea, should we wake him up to induce the diarrhea?"

(yes, all actual calls from nursing homes)

plus no kids of my own. :)

Nice work! I've seen the Midway video. Not sure I want to try it on a rifle stock but may try some pistol grips. Curious how much you spent to get started?

Don

$50 for the checkering kit and $2 for the chunk of wood. I already had a jeweler's type padded vise that rotates and tilts which is needed since you need 2 hands on the tools.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top