JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Trane XL950 ComfortLink II with Z-Wave capabilites to lock/unlock doors, remote energy management, picture frame, 5 day weather forecasting and so much more. I am getting my first one in tomorrow.
Price:Think semi decent AR15 (I am not selling these, just giving a refrence point for people!)

I am a bit of a heating and cooling nerd since I own a local HVAC company in Portland, just wanted to see other peoples thoughts on these. I personally think they are amazing because #1 they look cool and #2 you can now have a home automation system for a fraction of the cost of a normal one that is normally reserved for a multi million dollar home.

Never work with the only perminate source of heat in my house.

A wood Pellet stove. 1650 sq ft house normal year is a about 500-550 to heat for the year

I do HVAC-R for a living and I prefer the Honeywell T8000 series touch screen stats. They're VERY effective and can control humdity, heating, cooling, monitor outside air temps, and they're moderatly priced compared to THAT flagship, and with the ever rising price of Natural Gas your payback wouldn't be THAT long.

Korntera, you seeing those @ Trane-Oregon?

I have had all sorts of programmable thermostats.
I have gone back to simple.
I bet you return on investment is >15 years.

My $35 gadget is programmable like most. I can custom preset my away-from-home and at-home temps by the day of the week, then walk into a pleasantly cool or toasty house year round - IF I'm on time for what I dialed in earlier. Some say it's cheaper to keep a house warm all winter, but mine heats up pretty fast so I'm not worried about wasting energy going from cold to warm once or twice a day.

But what DRIVES ME NUTS, is deciding to go somewhere unplanned after work or spending an extra night away somewhere, and thinking about my heat or AC running all evening - in an empty house - just the way I set it.

Is there anything reasonably priced that will let me control my thermostat real-time from a remote computer or iPhone? Or is it cheaper just to leave the system blasting all weekend now and then?

Thats nice stuff.
Like a lot of tech stuff the price will probably come down significantly over the course of a few years.
There are inexpensive programmables that can do a great job at the basics but something like this can speak protocols that allow it to interact with all kinds of different features in your home. It can be part of a complete energy/security management system.
Its not for every home but under the right conditions it can probably be a practical tool.

There are several advertised on radio - "Controll from your smartphone"
But it is probably part of a Larger control system
I wonder how much it cost for the capability to save on those days you decide to go somewhere else?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top