JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reno, Don't feel bad about your comments!!! I probably need better guidance anyway!
The only thing that was bothering be is that I did a load development in the winter and I want to use this gun on a Antelope hunt in August. Maybe I'm thinking to much into it, but as a hunter I thought consistency in temp extremes would be a good thing. I am just glad I stopped when I did!!! It cost me some bullets and some powder, but live and learn I guess.
You weren't way over, but you were hot.

A lot of hype online is just a lot of hype.

I learned on my own and have gone pretty far stupid, knowing and willingly.

A few things I've learned is definitely do things at your own pace, don't do anything anyone else says that doesn't sound right to you, start at the bottom not the top, and work slowly.

There is a lot of marketing out there on powder, projectiles, primers, etc. Take it for what it is, marketing. Stick with what works and what feels right.

Like they always say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Sometimes there's just something a little different about a particular gun and it just won't take the same load as another. I have a .270 Win like that. It has a custom barrel with a tight chamber, and I had to stop short when working up a load. I found a good load that shoots great, but it's well shy of book max. Book max would be scary in that particular gun.

I guess that's why they say start low and work up. Every gun is different. It's also why you don't want to shoot someone else's reloads. They might be fine in their gun, and damaging to yours.

Shoot a box of factory over a chronograph with your rifle.
Least cost chronograph I found today Caldwell. $85
Use a factory box that specifies bullet, powder, load, factory velocity.
Record your measured velocity, range. Compare the velocity with what's on the box.

I started fumbling around with reloading about 45 years ago.
Amazed I didn't kaboom my rifle a Mauser Gew 88 (made in 1891)
Learned a lot over that gun.

I have been told (yes, over the interweb) that CCI 400 primers are typically used for extruded powders & the 450's (magnums) are for ball powder.
That is what I had incorporated into my reloading regiment a few years ago but have switched to 450's exclusively...:eek:

The only thing that was bothering be is that I did a load development in the winter and I want to use this gun on a Antelope hunt in August. Maybe I'm thinking to much into it, but as a hunter I thought consistency in temp extremes would be a good thing.
Consistency in temp extremes makes a difference in chamber pressure, but if you're load testing in the winter in the gorge and hunting in the late summer, your trajectory will be so different you'll not even know why you missed.
For example, same bullet, same gun, a load I developed and zeroed at 100 yards in 40°F rainy weather may shoot as much as 4" high in August. Move from 100' elevation to 6,000' (Wyoming) to hunt Antelope, and I'd recommend you re-zero before you go out into the field. Had that happen: shooting in Wyoming by Rock Springs, my bullet was almost 2' high at 200, for a rifle that I had zeroed at 100 at TCGC.

You weren't way over, but you were hot.

A lot of hype online is just a lot of hype.

I learned on my own and have gone pretty far stupid, knowing and willingly.

A few things I've learned is definitely do things at your own pace, don't do anything anyone else says that doesn't sound right to you, start at the bottom not the top, and work slowly.

There is a lot of marketing out there on powder, projectiles, primers, etc. Take it for what it is, marketing. Stick with what works and what feels right.

Like they always say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I'm just getting started into reloading. Great advice Reno and Thank you!

Consistency in temp extremes makes a difference in chamber pressure, but if you're load testing in the winter in the gorge and hunting in the late summer, your trajectory will be so different you'll not even know why you missed.
For example, same bullet, same gun, a load I developed and zeroed at 100 yards in 40°F rainy weather may shoot as much as 4" high in August. Move from 100' elevation to 6,000' (Wyoming) to hunt Antelope, and I'd recommend you re-zero before you go out into the field. Had that happen: shooting in Wyoming by Rock Springs, my bullet was almost 2' high at 200, for a rifle that I had zeroed at 100 at TCGC.
And to think how many folks have taken animals in all weathers and all elevations with Remington CorLokt.

Just saying.

Sounds like the internet has gotten to you.

Or have you personally witnessed these changes P7?

Edit, realized you put the witnessed differences in post.

Point taken.

Just required a rezero though correct?

Last Edited:
And to think how many folks have taken animals in all weathers and all elevations with Remington CorLokt.
Just saying.
Sounds like the internet has gotten to you.
Just required a revert though correct?

Internet tells me all kinds of things: Hillary won the election. I'm a genius. My donkus will get bigger if I eat this root. It goes on and on.
As far as shooting, I take everything with a grain of salt. I seldom get the published velocities out of my custom loads.
On the Core Lokt, or any other OTC ammo, I am not surprised. Sight it in at 100, point blank range is all the way out to 250-300, and I would hope most hunters would take their rifle and check its accuracy (as well as their own) before going into the field.
I don't know what the average shot distance is for game animals, but I would suspect it'd be under 200 yards.
I talked to two guys who both took antelope this year in Wyoming, both at >300 yards, and they sighted in there in Cody before starting their hunt. Off the shelf ammo, but they were dialed in.

" Just required a revert though correct?" What does that mean? o_O

Internet tells me all kinds of things: Hillary won the election. I'm a genius. My donkus will get bigger if I eat this root. It goes on and on.
As far as shooting, I take everything with a grain of salt. I seldom get the published velocities out of my custom loads.
On the Core Lokt, or any other OTC ammo, I am not surprised. Sight it in at 100, point blank range is all the way out to 250-300, and I would hope most hunters would take their rifle and check its accuracy (as well as their own) before going into the field.
I don't know what the average shot distance is for game animals, but I would suspect it'd be under 200 yards.
I talked to two guys who both took antelope this year in Wyoming, both at >300 yards, and they sighted in there in Cody before starting their hunt. Off the shelf ammo, but they were dialed in.

" Just required a revert though correct?" What does that mean? o_O
Autocorrect turned rezero into revert. My bad.

I believe your assessments. Of the differences, but that's a huge change in my eyes.

I see lots of folks telling someone that goes to the same range every time they shoot, that they need this or that product, repeating stuff they heard online or by th e manufacturers. It gets me a little worked up.

You are not doing this obviously, just to clarify.

But in the OPs case, he switched powders solely off a piece of advice. That was my point.

Try getting copper out of the barrel. New barrels need attention to copper cleanliness so they can smooth out their bores.
I used a chamber pressure monitor for years. A Remington 600 .308 caliber rifle spiked very high pressure as the bullet neared the muzzle.
Cleaned the barrel at the end with extra care using copper remover (ammonia based).
Shot, cleaned, shot cleaned ....
Pressure dropped to normal at the muzzle.
Offered me this insight.

Bad/weak primers or your firing pin is hitting them in a little far.... They could just be weak metal in that production. I'd write the mfg with the lot# and show them the photos along with your loading data. I bet they would like to know.

if you were hot they would be flatter from slamming into the bolt face.

Change primers.

I don't pay much attention to primers, but I'm really sensitive to bolt lift and velocity.

P
I never did experience heavy bolt lift. As a matter of fact I could chamber the fired case back into the rifle without a problem. I was hitting the 2800+ fps which is hot for the 6.5 CM. I have only used CCI primers. What would you recommend?

I see some that were clearly over pressure.
But there are some that are not flattened badly but yet still are cratered.
I would not be surprised if the firing pin clearance on this rifle is a little wide.

Pharm...2800 is about max with 140 grain projectiles. I bought some 130gr hornaday whitetail today and the box says 2820. Sierra lists 2800 with RL16 at 43.5 grains with a 24" barrel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top