Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cheapest AR vs Expensive AR

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by sweetbeard, Oct 30, 2008.

1. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

My current plan is to build the cheapest AR possible, lower from here, Cheapest full kit from del-ton.

So my question is what will I be sacrificing if I don't spend an extra $1,000 on it.

I am shooting for around military grade M16 accuracy!

THX

-Jon

2. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Extra 1,000??? What are you expecting the cost to be for the build you're doing now?

3. sweetbeard

$600-650 $1,600 for some other AR's

4. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

If you want a $600 AR, get the oly plinker. They may not be the greatest, but you dont have to worry about building. Well unless your build just consists of buying a complete lower and upper.

5. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

And its nice to see that you too are falling to the dark side.

6. fromotoc

fromotoc Downtown Portland, OR Member

Well, I am not an AR bank of wisdom, but I would say that it all depends on your intended uses. I don't think you are planning on shooting it a ton (I could be wrong on that), maybe it is just for zombies, future resale value and plinking? I would say it would work for the above mentioned uses. I have owned about 4 different AR's (bushy, 2 oly's and 1 PWA build) and there is a difference in fit/finish in the bushy/pwa versus the olympic arms, but the oly's worked fine, even with the wolf. I think that if you spent $150-200 more than your price, you could get a much better one than a $600 one (I have seen RRA's, bushy's, etc..) in the $7-800 price range. There is a guy on gunbroker who sells stag arms completes for $675 shipped (I think that is the shipped price), handled one of those and they felt pretty nice.

7. sweetbeard

I would but here is where I am at.. Given the fact that I have a 1 year old... I only have so much to spend on firearms each month.

So plan is, buy a lower... buy the parts for a lower... buy upper.. in that order...

Buy mags mags mags....

8. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

You don't nearly need to spend 1,600 for a good quality AR, factory built or not.
    I would never pay that much for one either........

Just pay attention to details, and you should get a quality build for around 800+ or so......

9. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Can you afford a complete LMT lower for $325 before the 4th? If so, I'd go that route.

10. smonkbmw

smonkbmw Vancouver WA Member

or pony up $1000 and you can have mine all stock.

11. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

ARs are pretty reliable. You can build one for $600 that you can bet your life on. It will take a while to find the deals on the parts.

12. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

I've built 3 kits from Del-ton in the past, good quality stuff, and EXCELLENT customer service.

Their basic kits are very reasonably priced and all you have to do is add a stripped lower.

You also have the option of upgrading the kits, so you can add a chrome-lined bbl, different upper, different stock ect.

I would highly recommend them. And putting an AR together isn't any harder than playing with legos.