JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
Manufacturer
Glock
Caliber
40 S&W
City
Portland
State
Oregon
Don't know much about using this site. But I'm looking for a handgun in my budget to keep at my home for self defense purposes. prices up to 450-475 dollars max as I am rather lacking in funds right now.. this post requires I put in a brand and caliber but I'll buy anything that is quality and within my budget. No hi points or .22s etc. something relatively dependable with a caliber powerful enough to stop someone in the unfortunate event that somebody breaks in to my home.

Thanks.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
That gun wont do you any good without ammo and training and nothing fits that budget. For home defense, buy an entry level AR-15, a case of ammo, and go shoot most of it so you can protect yours when needed.

You can actually get a fair amount in that price range. SCCY pistols are <$200 and are a decent, usable gun for the money. Bimart had Poly80 Glock-clone pistols on sale for $350 for a long time. Neither would be my first choice, but both a very usable and a lot better than a Hi-Point.

Above all though, whatever you buy, please learn how to keep and use it safely.

S&W makes a model "EZ" that racking the slide isn't a problem for your Wife/ GF.

9mm has lots of options.

But you MOST DEFINITELY Need to have experience or training using a handgun.

Another thing to consider is a slide action shotgun.
Just the sound of racking in a shell can be a deterent.
No 4 Buckshot is GTG inside.

Or set up Claymores...😉😉

Also another thing to think abt is that If you have Never been in a "TENSE" Situation w/ those risk factors, yiu really don't know how you will react.

Training can provide confidence in that venue, but so can instinct..

Welcome to the forum. Check out Sportsman warehouse for Black Friday sale. They've good selections of pistol that will fit your budget. Handle a few of them to see witch fit your hand better then go from there . Good luck

Despite what some people say, Hi-Points are actually really reliable when you need them, they can take a beating and just keep going. Plus you can't really beat their warranty of "if it breaks, we'll replace it for free." I've had one for 10+ years now and it works great. Personally I'd avoid SCCYs, wife has one and has had trouble with it several times, even had to send it back before because of defects.
If you're set on something else there are some others you can choose from that work great too (too long a list to add).
One thing I'd say do is, find a range that let's you rent a gun and see which ones works best for you and that you're comfortable with. One of the best ways to know what works is to try them. You should also try different calibers with each one you try as well.
Anything from 380auto to 40s&w would work for what you want or a 12ga as well.

I had a Rock Island M200 38 Special for a while. $200 at Bimart, I think a great value, good shooting little gun. It's similar to the Colt D frame.

I got rid of it after buying a couple of old police trade-in S&W Model 10s, older guns from the early '70s. I didn't pay much more for them that the Rock Island and they're a far better gun, but buying well-used older revolvers can be problematic if you don't know what to look for.

Don't know much about using this site. But I'm looking for a handgun in my budget to keep at my home for self defense purposes. prices up to 450-475 dollars max as I am rather lacking in funds right now.. this post requires I put in a brand and caliber but I'll buy anything that is quality and within my budget. No hi points or .22s etc. something relatively dependable with a caliber powerful enough to stop someone in the unfortunate event that somebody breaks in to my home.

Thanks.
If u want cheap, reliable, very effective home defense gun I would get a shotgun. A pump 12 gauge with 18.5" barrel will cost around $200-$250. Power can be devastating. fe 2 3/4" #00 buck is the equivalent of attacker getting hit with 9 rounds of .380 simultaneously, with each shot! Or use bird shot if worried about overpenetration.

Kind of a long video but one example of 22 (120ish ft lbs energy) vs 9mm (400ish fpe) vs 223 (1300ish fpe) vs shotgun slug (2800ish fpe) on equivalent of human head. Skip to 19:50 mark to see just shotgun.

Model 10's in good shape are fetching top dollar right now. Personally I always to one with the 1 7/8 inch barrel and a square butt.
In the last couple years I've come to really appreciate the ubiquitous old Model 10. I ended up buying three of the re-imported police surplus guns. They weren't pretty on the outside- rough grips, worn finish, even some surface rust. The cleaned up nicely though. I put a bearing shim in one, and replaced the cylinder stop spring and mainspring in another, and they all shoot like new guns. The triggers are excellent, hard to beat a vintage S&W revolver trigger. For $230 each I couldn't pass them up. My teenage son really likes them. He's gotten to be a pretty good shot, though he can burn through a lot of ammo quickly.

Seems to have been the 1991 Handgun of the Year Award from Guns & Ammo magazine.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.