JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is the USA. Why all the moaning regarding an application of capitalism. A willing buyer and a willing seller is all it takes. You guys sound like my dad. He still moans that gasoline is only worth 30 cents a gallon and coffee a nickel a cup. Life is dynamic. Learn to adapt, or don't play the game.

I play the game, just not with them! Another application of capitalism!

So here's a question, I was on the CTD site and they have surplus 7.62x54R 400 rd cans for 80-90 bucks, I haven't seen a local deal like that or another site, which could be due to my lack of searching..but anyhow, if this is a horrible deal can someone point me at a better/comprable one?

I saw that as well. I was amazed when they beat Natchez and Midway by a large margin.

Someone must have forgot to update the books on that. If you want it, order it before they realize there's a market they aren't gouging people in and have another computer mishap that forces you to re-order at the updated price.

I had tried to order .22 lr from CTD when they had it on sale Jan 2013. About a month ago I received an email notification that it was back in stock....$138.99 for 525 rounds! I really hope it was a typo....or at least platinum plated.

I saw that as well. I was amazed when they beat Natchez and Midway by a large margin.

Someone must have forgot to update the books on that. If you want it, order it before they realize there's a market they aren't gouging people in and have another computer mishap that forces you to re-order at the updated price.

Done and Done

I had tried to order .22 lr from CTD when they had it on sale Jan 2013. About a month ago I received an email notification that it was back in stock....$138.99 for 525 rounds! I really hope it was a typo....or at least platinum plated.

Makes that 1400 round bucket for 70+ a bargain.

It really took them 11 months to get back to you with that insult?????

So here's a question, I was on the CTD site and they have surplus 7.62x54R 400 rd cans for 80-90 bucks, I haven't seen a local deal like that or another site, which could be due to my lack of searching..but anyhow, if this is a horrible deal can someone point me at a better/comprable one?
Try here: gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals
That price isn't outrageous but their shipping looks to be double a lot of places. You can get several cents less total cost per round including shipping. Looks like you can get the same from Palmetto for about $40 less and 880 rounds from SGAmmo for about $40 more than CTD.

I have a somewhat unpopular option to share. Price gouging has been wrongly used to describe the ammunition market of late. I choose to call it equilibrium. I look at things from an economical point of view. If there is a shortage with an increasing demand price will hike. I have found that people are falsely holding on to historical prices as current market value.

The .22LR is easily in the top 5 round types that are purchased annually. If you know anything about the ammunition industry you know that they rely on stock pile to deal with inconsistencies or fluctuation in demand. It is easy to pick up a 500 round brick when you can find it. Did you really need 500 rounds that day to go shooting? No, you didn't. You bought it because (pre shortage) because it was easy to pick up a 500 round box and still retain your money. This actually contributed to the lack of ammo. At the beginning of what I'm going to call the "Great Panic" everybody and their mom, yes, even my mother was out buying ammo if not for themselves for others. Stores, seeing the ammo flying off their shelves, started to introduce limits on purchasing ammo "only 3 boxes." The problem with this is three bricks of .22LR is easy to buy. It's easy to buy what you would like to have for the next 10 years and what you would like to have for the next 2 trips in one trip to the store(pre panic). Some people bought .22 solely because they could, not because they even really wanted it or wanted to use it in the near future. Some people would come in the morning and return in the evening just so they could get 3000 rounds in a day instead of 1500. This helped the market, that was still suffering from low stockpiles (2009), dry up even faster.

Here is how I would have suggested the situation be handled. 1) Beak up the bricks 2)Hike the price per round to meet demand. The shortage will last shorter if ammo isn't instantly gone. This way I have the opportunity of going shooting with 100 rounds of the best plinking round ever every now and again instead of paying 3X more what the market price would have been if prices were hiked by the stores. This is all rudimentary economics and stores should have caught on to this before hand.

Here is a real life scenario that mirrors this problem exactly: You live in a town prone to hurricanes. You just here on the news that the hurricane intensified just before it reached coast and it is life-saving-ly advisable to leave NOW. You grab your kid throw him in the car and notice you didn't fill your tank. So, you drive to the nearest gas station and you... do .... what? "Fill, regular, please." So does every other person leaving. Sadly, your neighbor works graveyard and didn't get the news until later. When he does get the memo he throws his kid in the car and notices that he too forgot to fill his tank. He drives to the gas station where there is a sign "Out of gas." The tanks are empty because of the mass of people trying to get out.

Would you have filled your tank if it was $50 bucks a gallon? Or would you have just bout enough to get out of town?

It's all economics... it actually would have been more ethical to hike prices. Remember this.

If people are willing to pay it, then there is a market for it and I don't see the problem with selling for what the market will bear.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top