JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another question....why is colt considered on par with DD, BCM, etc.? I don't see anything about them being better than anything else? I don't believe their QC is all that great after seeing this debacle with the new Python. And the furniture doesn't scream amazing. The materials are what everyone else even decent is using. I see a rollmark and higher-than-worth-it pricing.

That and with with BCM...they oversize their gas ports to be "more" reliable, when other manufacturers aren't and still staying reliable. How does a harsher firing rifle make it a better rifle? (NOT stating BCM isn't good, I like their stuff)

It seems to me...that because the .Mil uses these particular brands, that they're somehow "better" even though our military usually isn't buying the highest prices, most gucci option. They buy something reliable, that is at a certain cost per the decisions of stars and bars. This, to me, reaffirms you don't need a really expensive aluminum rifle to have a good...reliable...aluminum rifle. And that a manufacturer using the standard materials and specs, can make something just as good for a decent price. But what do i know.

Another question....why is colt considered on par with DD, BCM, etc.?
they are, or were the main contracted supplier for the us military for most AR15 based weapon systems. .. they are the standard that all the other companies have had to improve upon.
they suck at aesthetics, but as far as quality where it matters: barrels, BCGs, Recievers... second to none.

My AR15 is a DPMS ORACLE. About as cheap as you can buy. It has never failed me and its run nuthin but the cheapest ammo. Now, that being said, I don't give a ding dong about sub MOA. For me, if I can ring my 10" steel, I'm happy. Its worked out to 300 yrds, the most I've tried.

Awhile back I bought a POF REVOLUTION for my big bore desires. She's good :)

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate on either end. IMHO, its hard to find a modern firearm that isn't worth owning, no matter the price.

YMMV :D

That and with with BCM...they oversize their gas ports to be "more" reliable, when other manufacturers aren't and still staying reliable. How does a harsher firing rifle make it a better rifle? (NOT stating BCM isn't good, I like their stuff)

Are you sure you're not thinking of DD or PSA? I have never come across an overgassed BCM. As mentioned above Colt the "yard stick", the benchmark if you will, they use a gas port size .062" on both 14.5" and 16" carbine length gas systems, BCM is famous for there mid-length gas systems (of which there is no standard) with a .076" port size and that's just about perfect for a mid-length system. DD was famous for having Jenna Jameson syndrome before they dialed it down and my PSA upper is way harsher the my BCMs. One thing BCM does do is use lighter weight buffers for the reason you mention, like the A5 kit comes with an A5H0 compared to Vltor A5H2 in their kit.

Won't any part wear out with use?
And isn't that the rub? How much will you use it? How much are you gunna spend to have something that will last longer than 20K rnds?
Guess that I don't use it that much as no problems yet.

Won't any part wear out with use?
And isn't that the rub? How much will you use it? How much are you gunna spend to have something that will last longer than 20K rnds?
Guess that I don't use it that much as no problems yet.

Wearing out thru use is one thing, eroding and falling apart is another. Aluminum is unsuited for the heat and pressure generated at the gas port.
Understanding the AR-15 Gas System

If we survive the pandemic keep an eye open for SOLGW BCG on sale at Primary Arms, the last ones I got were $115.

They spec out top notch:

Sons of Liberty Gun Works Bolt Carrier Group HPT/MPI
Bolt:

Precision machined from Carpenter Technology No. 158 alloy,
Heat treated per mil-spec,
Shot peened per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430S,
Vibratory tumbled
Individual high pressure/proof (HP)
Full Auto test fired as an assembly
Individual magnetic particle inspection ASTM E1444/E1444M (MP)
Markings deep laser engraved (SP=Shot Peened, HP=High Pressure Tested, MP=Magnetic Particle Inspection.)
Extractor:

Precision machined from 4340 tool steel alloy per SAE AMS6415T/AMS6484D (vs 4140),
Heat treated
Shot peen per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430S.
Extractor Retaining Pin:

Precision machined and ground S7 Tool Steel
Heat treated per ASTM A681-08
Shot peened per mil-spec print
Manganese phosphate
Extractor Spring:

Tactical Springs/Sprinco 5 coil, ASTM Grade A401 Chrome Silicon wire stock
Heat treated
Stress relieved, Molybdenum-Disulfide infused
Cryogenic processed (all post winding)
Mil-spec black insert/synthetic elastomer extractor buffer (nitrile-butadiene, shore hardness 80+/-5 durometer per MIL-PRF-6855)

Ejector:

S7 Tool Steel
Heat treated per ASTM A681-08
Shot peened per Mil-Spec
Manganese phosphate
Ejector Spring:

Heat treated
Mil Spec
Gas Rings:

Standard stainless steel per Mil-Spec X3
Carrier:

Machined from AISI 8620 aircraft qualty alloy per ASTM A108/A322-13
Full auto profile
Heat treated
Carburized/strain relieved, hard chrome bore
Precision ground gas key interface
Sons of Liberty Battle Flag logo deep laser engraved
Manganese phosphate
Gas Key:

Machined from 4130 chromoly steel alloy per ASTM A108/A322-13
Heat treated, hard chrome internal
Manganese phosphate
Permatex sealed
Grade 8 hex screws torqued and staked all per mil-spec
Cam Pin:

Precision machined 4340 chromoly steel alloy per SAE AMS6415T/AMS6484D
Heat treated/processed per mil-spec
Manganese phosphate
Solid film lubricant applied and cured per mil-spec
Firing Pin:

Precision machined 8640 steel alloy
Hard chrome plate
Firing Pin Retaining Pin:

Precision machined from 1038 carbon steel
Manganese phosphate
drtwt but that's a lotta hubub to say "frankenrifle".
lol
I like to keep stuff simple so just buy Colt.

drtwt but that's a lotta hubub to say "frankenrifle".
lol
I like to keep stuff simple so just buy Colt.

I'm sure "drtwt" means something but I haven't a clue what so I may be lost in context but that has nothing to do with a "frankenrifle", it is a well spec'ed BCG which is on par with Colt. And yes Colt is hitting the easy button. The AR simply would not be where it is today without Colt.

Let me stop y'all right there about Colt and "mil-spec":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Isn't it common knowledge that the Military buys things at "lowest bidder" contracts?

Mil spec simply means the bare minimum specification to meet; in terms of fit, function, and component interchange.

I'm sure "drtwt" means something but I haven't a clue what
"Didn't Read The Whole Thread" ;)

Let me stop y'all right there about Colt and "mil-spec":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Isn't it common knowledge that the Military buys things at "lowest bidder" contracts?

Mil spec simply means the bare minimum specification to meet; in terms of fit, function, and component interchange.

Then why aren't they armed up with PSA? ;)

"Mil-spec" is probably the most abused and misused term regarding AR's.

"Didn't Read The Whole Thread" ;)

Thanks, I should have known.

Then why aren't they armed up with PSA? ;)

"Mil-spec" is probably the most abused and misused term regarding AR's.
Probably because PSA doesn't meet the Military Specifications and the contract requirements such as having specific lower parts kits and lowers to go for the actual M4 and M16A4 series ? :rolleyes:

They maybe don't have the specific FFL Class Manufacturer license required for post 1986 Machine Guns (something that Colt and FN Herstal and H&K all seem to hold currently)

Are you sure you're not thinking of DD or PSA? I have never come across an overgassed BCM. As mentioned above Colt the "yard stick", the benchmark if you will, they use a gas port size .062" on both 14.5" and 16" carbine length gas systems, BCM is famous for there mid-length gas systems (of which there is no standard) with a .076" port size and that's just about perfect for a mid-length system. DD was famous for having Jenna Jameson syndrome before they dialed it down and my PSA upper is way harsher the my BCMs. One thing BCM does do is use lighter weight buffers for the reason you mention, like the A5 kit comes with an A5H0 compared to Vltor A5H2 in their kit.

Yea, I might have mistaken that info. I read a lot, so occasionally I mix some things up.
Who even makes aluminum gas blocks? I just want to make sure I avoid them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top