JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like many similar quotes here, my Vortex (among other low end optics) has been mounted with many, many rounds pounding underneath without a hiccup.

Aimpoints and other high end optics like Schmidt and Bender are stunningly high end delights, but I've no interest.

Much like a Toyta Tundra quality vs a Ferrari, my Tundra gets er done...don't need no stinkin high end optics.

Very nice, but not necessary....

vortex is a low end optic? My pst gen 2 1x6 is a tank. You should give your vortex a little more credit. She will Serve you well for many years. I share your thoughts. There comes a point where what you get vs what you pay for becomes so ridiculous.

Last Edited:
Optics are a whole 'nother can of worms. My AR's carry high-end duty optics because those rifles are defenders of my family and I know the optics will take a beating and hold zero.

As far as AR's go, I have both cheap and expensive rifles... they're really about the same for plinking. Most of us don't shoot enough to wear down a cheap AR. Guns are investments. The difference to me with an expensive AR is book value.

Technique/Ammo/Trigger > Name Brands

Like many similar quotes here, my Vortex (among other low end optics) has been mounted with many, many rounds pounding underneath without a hiccup.

Aimpoints and other high end optics like Schmidt and Bender are stunningly high end delights, but I've no interest.

Much like a Toyta Tundra quality vs a Ferrari, my Tundra gets er done...don't need no stinkin high end optics.

Very nice, but not necessary....
Wait. Wait. Wait. Didn't someone just say "buy cheap get cheap quality" or "buy once cry once?" Did you just contradict yourself? Or does that theory only apply when you want it to? There are only a few things that can go wrong with a rifle. There is a magnitude of things that can go wrong with an optic.

What happened to the thought process of forged being stronger than billet? Billet should be more for looks.
Imho, if I used the rifle to make my money, I *might* spend "more" and buy something like a BCM. Any more then that, you're paying for either marketing, looks, or ambi controls.

I have all the faith in the world of my "frankenrifle" that I built. I've only personally owned 3 of these things, and have shot a couple others' rifles.
Granted, I've only had a couple thousand or so through this rifle, but the only failure I had was magazine related, so I stopped using the mag.
I have another rifle that I couldn't get to run which was "off the rack".

A receiver is a receiver, if it's in spec, it'll be fine.

Barrel and BCG matter, but you still don't *need* a high end one to be durable. If it's the correct material, in spec, and tested, it'll be good enough.
Again, just my opinion, but it's all diminishing returns at a certain point.

Take a deep calming breath.

A few posts back, I good naturedly admitted to contradicting myself, that I was using the same argument for those buying low end AR's - don't let cv make you lose (not loose) your sense of humor....

I think some of the argument for the super high end is almost buyers remorse. Gotta defend the thing if you bought it:p

I spent....1200 on my build. Using many manufacturer's to get it done. BCM, Aero, ALG, Ballistic advantage, and psa mainly. The only part I might replace is the BCG being the "premium" FA version. It works perfectly fine, but I might swap it out for something the internet approves of like a toolcraft or bcm (if i find one cheaper than 170)
The things shoots lights out and have had plenty of other hands on it that really liked how it fired. I'm not someone that needs ambi, I might throw a bad lever on it to simplify some things, but I've been back and forth on that since I put it together.

Addressing Vortex: In comparison to Aimpoint in cost, they're low end, but I consider them more than adequate - others insist on very high end optics.

I've a friend who optics cost well over the cost of the guns they're mounted on.

I think this foolish, but it's his choice and his money.

Take a deep calming breath.

A few posts back, I good naturedly admitted to contradicting myself, that I was using the same argument for those buying low end AR's - don't let cv make you lose (not loose) your sense of humor....
I don't have a sense of humor. I'm dead inside.... in all honesty I just enjoy being an a$$. I don't really care what people run or buy. I admittedly don't even own an AR anymore. So I guess I have nothing to stand on except my past experiences. Haha. I'm just here for the comments and the anger and hate.

I think some of the argument for the super high end is almost buyers remorse. Gotta defend the thing if you bought it:p

I spent....1200 on my build. Using many manufacturer's to get it done. BCM, Aero, ALG, Ballistic advantage, and psa mainly. The only part I might replace is the BCG being the "premium" FA version. It works perfectly fine, but I might swap it out for something the internet approves of like a toolcraft or bcm (if i find one cheaper than 170)
The things shoots lights out and have had plenty of other hands on it that really liked how it fired. I'm not someone that needs ambi, I might throw a bad lever on it to simplify some things, but I've been back and forth on that since I put it together.

To use the Mandalorian reference,

BAD levers, this is the way.

They definitely are on my list of great accessories. Only problem is their popularity has seemingly grown a lot over the years and I find that (even before panic buying) they could be often found for half the price of what they regularly go for now. Being a cheapskate, a 100% increase in price is huge, even if it is only $13

Match a good value AR with a Bad lever, Larue 2 stage trigger for $75ish, and Primary arms 1x6/1x8 scope.

That's a lot of utility for a lot less than some people pay for just a rifle, or just a scope. I recommend most people go this route and they will probably be more content than buying other options, but everyone has personal preferences, and they can pay for whatever suits their fancy.

Optics are not different, get the best you can afford. It doesnt take much to build a cheap optic that will last. My guess is more deer are taken each hunting season with cheap optics than expensive ones.
Simo Hayha a Finnish sniper still holds the world record for most confirmed kills... He used iron sights.

You're my kind of guy, ah, wait that sounded a bit, um happy...

Anyway, I understand your perspective, bitter and angry.

You are a qualified curmudgeon, rather like me...fun eh?

thus is turning into a good thread. Especially with all the rabbit holes we have started to go down. It's honestly fun reading other people's posts and ideas. Some of these posts have some very constructive points of view. I can't wait tell tues when my bcm Mk2 11.5 upper shows up

014286E3-C199-4AF9-9F63-736268CA981A.png

You're my kind of guy, ah, wait that sounded a bit, um happy...

Anyway, I understand your perspective, bitter and angry.

You are a qualified curmudgeon, rather like me...fun eh?
I enjoy lighting a match and then stepping away and just watching it burn. It's only on occasion that another will stand by me and just laugh and point while it flickers.

I have a high end Knights Armament fancy, smancy Ar-15
and also have cheap bushmaster Ar's.
the cheap bushmaster is just as dependable and accurate as the Knights Armament.
If i break the BCG in the Knights Armament, thats gonna be a problem as its a E-3 proprietary bolt group, doesnt interchange with a standard BCG.

Yes, such spirit is enjoyed by the likes a me...

So many are wrapped so tight it's kinda gratifying to do match lighting and watch the heads 'spode'...bwahahahahaha!

Ok, it's cv season and if I get it, (I'm in the sr. geezer class) well, I had to die of something, stupid to not die from nothing, but maintaining a sense is most important.

Yea. Proprietary has its drawbacks. But that's still a fine weapon.

if I'm trying to vet a platform I taking it to a carbine class. Or go up in the woods and recreate a class with a thousand rounds of ammo. If it holds up. Then run it.

also a good way to find out if all of your supplementary equipment is up to snuff. Like mags. Once in a while a magazine will get gremlins. Then they get pitched.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top