JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your Frankenstein rifle is a good performer and makes you happy, just stick with it and don't second guess ol reliable. If you want a certain roll Mark because it'll make you happy, buy it. My belief is the price difference comes down to QC and, unfortunately, paying for advertising. Sometimes a good product is just plain good and needs no advertising but that's what, one in ten thousand brands? And often it seems, as soon as a grassroots good company is recognized, they're bought by a big player and quality tanks but the price stays the same, riding that name all the way to the bank

My son likes to brag about his Knight's Armament AR, while I own regular COLT ARs. I frequently have to remind him.....

"If you can't hit the target....what's the point?"

Aloha, Mark

High end is just pretty. Get a BCM. A working rifle. Unless you're into the Gucci Instagram picture taking, getting followers rifles. I love these guys who preach high end guns (there the same guys who keep them in the safe and cry when they get a scratch). Yes that is a generalization. I've ran anything from Anderson up to radians. If it runs then run it. Buy ammo and run the SH!T out of your equipment. I'd rather have a "lower end" gun and know it in and out then have a "high end" gun to just touch yourself to. Just my opinion.

If we survive the pandemic keep an eye open for SOLGW BCG on sale at Primary Arms, the last ones I got were $115.

They spec out top notch:

Sons of Liberty Gun Works Bolt Carrier Group HPT/MPI
Bolt:

Precision machined from Carpenter Technology No. 158 alloy,
Heat treated per mil-spec,
Shot peened per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430S,
Vibratory tumbled
Individual high pressure/proof (HP)
Full Auto test fired as an assembly
Individual magnetic particle inspection ASTM E1444/E1444M (MP)
Markings deep laser engraved (SP=Shot Peened, HP=High Pressure Tested, MP=Magnetic Particle Inspection.)
Extractor:

Precision machined from 4340 tool steel alloy per SAE AMS6415T/AMS6484D (vs 4140),
Heat treated
Shot peen per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430S.
Extractor Retaining Pin:

Precision machined and ground S7 Tool Steel
Heat treated per ASTM A681-08
Shot peened per mil-spec print
Manganese phosphate
Extractor Spring:

Tactical Springs/Sprinco 5 coil, ASTM Grade A401 Chrome Silicon wire stock
Heat treated
Stress relieved, Molybdenum-Disulfide infused
Cryogenic processed (all post winding)
Mil-spec black insert/synthetic elastomer extractor buffer (nitrile-butadiene, shore hardness 80+/-5 durometer per MIL-PRF-6855)

Ejector:

S7 Tool Steel
Heat treated per ASTM A681-08
Shot peened per Mil-Spec
Manganese phosphate
Ejector Spring:

Heat treated
Mil Spec
Gas Rings:

Standard stainless steel per Mil-Spec X3
Carrier:

Machined from AISI 8620 aircraft qualty alloy per ASTM A108/A322-13
Full auto profile
Heat treated
Carburized/strain relieved, hard chrome bore
Precision ground gas key interface
Sons of Liberty Battle Flag logo deep laser engraved
Manganese phosphate
Gas Key:

Machined from 4130 chromoly steel alloy per ASTM A108/A322-13
Heat treated, hard chrome internal
Manganese phosphate
Permatex sealed
Grade 8 hex screws torqued and staked all per mil-spec
Cam Pin:

Precision machined 4340 chromoly steel alloy per SAE AMS6415T/AMS6484D
Heat treated/processed per mil-spec
Manganese phosphate
Solid film lubricant applied and cured per mil-spec
Firing Pin:

Precision machined 8640 steel alloy
Hard chrome plate
Firing Pin Retaining Pin:

Precision machined from 1038 carbon steel
Manganese phosphate

I did buy some ToolCraft BCGs. I have not tried them yet but once the pandemic is over I am going to try one out.

Toolcraft 5.56 NATO Complete M16 Bolt Carrier Group - Nitride TOOAUTO-SBN-556

High end is just pretty. Get a BCM. A working rifle. Unless you're into the Gucci Instagram picture taking, getting followers rifles. I love these guys who preach high end guns (there the same guys who keep them in the safe and cry when they get a scratch). Yes that is a generalization. I've ran anything from Anderson up to radians. If it runs then run it. Buy ammo and run the SH!T out of your equipment. I'd rather have a "lower end" gun and know it in and out then have a "high end" gun to just touch yourself to. Just my opinion.
I didn't cry. I may have gotten a little upset but I didn't cry. :D

I didn't cry. I may have gotten a little upset but I didn't cry. :D
That's fair. I won't judge. Lol. I have had a few Radian Mod 1s and they are by far the nicest platform I have ever owned. But they aren't 2500 dollars good. A cheaper gun does the same thing. And I don't feel my soul get crushed when I drop it on pavement.

No matter what brand, I find this part wears out on this system faster than any other. I simply keep several spares; the ones billed as "MILSPEC" all look alike to me.

If you have your AR apart for cleaning, with the pivot pin in the "out" position, does anyone make one of these that won't break off when you drop the lower on the floor?

That's fair. I won't judge. Lol. I have had a few Radian Mod 1s and they are by far the nicest platform I have ever owned. But they aren't 2500 dollars good. A cheaper gun does the same thing. And I don't feel my soul get crushed when I drop it on pavement.

I took advantage of the soft AR market and snagged a Radian Model 1 17.5" for $1200 shipped. THAT was totally worth it! For the record, I still might cry if I dropped it on concrete. Haha!

I took advantage of the soft AR market and snagged a Radian Model 1 17.5" for $1200 shipped. THAT was totally worth it! For the record, I still might cry if I dropped it on concrete. Haha!
Yea that's a steal. When I sold mine I got nothing close to what I paid for it. The downfalls of going with super expensive/high end. I had a 14.5 it was a blast but it turned into a safe queen and then was sold due to the fact it just collected dust. I went from having half a dozen ARs to only one now and it's technically my wife's.... does that mean she's more manly than me?

Yea that's a steal. When I sold mine I got nothing close to what I paid for it. The downfalls of going with super expensive/high end. I had a 14.5 it was a blast but it turned into a safe queen and then was sold due to the fact it just collected dust. I went from having half a dozen ARs to only one now and it's technically my wife's.... does that mean she's more manly than me?

Instagram says yes, you are less of a man, hahaha!

Cheap vs High end just comes down to fit and finish as well as parts reliability/wear and tear. You can get a cheap gun like an anderson or something, and they'll work fine and shoot what you're aiming at as long as everything is in spec. But they're good enough to just get by for people who shoot a few times a year. You will be seeing more parts break sooner than on something that is nicer. Think cam pins, bolt lugs, gas keys, charging handles, buffer tubes/buffer tube threaded area of the lower. On higher end guns, every single thing is checked and double checked to make sure that doesn't happen. Eventually your BCG lugs will shear, but it would be closer to 35k rounds vs under 10k with some of the cheap stuff. Not a big deal if you don't shoot a bunch, but for some people it is. If you want to build a gun, just buy quality parts, do your research and take your time building it. I personally won't buy cheaper than PSA, or more expensive than BCM. What difference does a DD vs a BCM make? They both have amazing records and both put a bunch of holes really close together at 100 yards. One is $1500ish and the other is $2000ish. My personal favorite is AERO PRECISION as they offer amazing value to cost. Think budget high end gun whereas PSA is high value budget gun.

No matter what brand, I find this part wears out on this system faster than any other. I simply keep several spares; the ones billed as "MILSPEC" all look alike to me.

If you have your AR apart for cleaning, with the pivot pin in the "out" position, does anyone make one of these that won't break off when you drop the lower on the floor?

The cam pin is a high wear part, I keep multiple BCG rebuild kits on hand, spare bolts and BCGs because I bought them cheap and choose to stack them deep.

I'm not aware of any scientific study done on the subject but I would think titanium pins like those made by V7 or Battlearms would fair the best. Personally I've been content with the standard BAD-EPS.

The cam pin is a high wear part, I keep multiple BCG rebuild kits on hand, spare bolts and BCGs

I'm with it on the cam pins, have at least one firing pin, and the retaining pins (like a tiny Cotter key) which I've dropped and lost before. I probably should have a bolt and extractor but don't. I have to remember that I don't need enough stuff to last until I'm age 150, that ain't gonna happen. I've never had any problem with anything in the trigger mech., I have only whatever stock trigger set-up come with the guns. I'm a service grade shooter, not a match grade so I figure a service grade trigger is good enough.

I'm with it on the cam pins, have at least one firing pin, and the retaining pins (like a tiny Cotter key) which I've dropped and lost before. I probably should have a bolt and extractor but don't. I have to remember that I don't need enough stuff to last until I'm age 150, that ain't gonna happen. I've never had any problem with anything in the trigger mech., I have only whatever stock trigger set-up come with the guns. I'm a service grade shooter, not a match grade so I figure a service grade trigger is good enough.

If you don't want to upgrade every trigger you have, don't ever shoot a nice trigger. I'm sold and I can't stand "Mil Spec" triggers anymore.

Don't ever get a G trigger than because it will ruin you.

That is a stellar deal. I attended an armorers course along side the crew from Radian back when they were still in Salem, they brought a couple of their rifles prior to their release to the general public, I thought they were pretty impressive. I think they put out one of the best, if not the best ambi-AR out there, being a left I appreciate such things. I just couldn't justify the price tag, but then I never had the opportunity at 12 bills.

I don't have much experience so not certain what I can add here, but I built an AR with a $100 lower, I cheated a bit and put a completed upper on it.... (I got lucky on that but more on that in a minute).
I know enough about guns to know to NOT skimp on a trigger even if you buy or build cheap, I put an ALG ACT trigger in mine. The company that made the upper went out of business but IMO I have been quite pleased, the thing is very accurate by my ability and experience with hunting rifles (their quality and customer service was excellent, its too bad they went out of business)

I don't have much experience with ARs but this is my "freedom rifle". I don't shoot it much but when I do its more rifle than I am skilled... Brings me to my opinion on this subject....

I think high end brands are just marketing. The lower isn't worth paying high end, its all about the barrel, BCG, and trigger, and agree with the comment above "If you don't want to upgrade every trigger you have, don't ever shoot a nice trigger.".
I got nothing against a high end build, but if you want a great rifle on the cheap just put a very nice trigger in it and only worry about the rest if there is an issue.

That is a stellar deal. I attended an armorers course along side the crew from Radian back when they were still in Salem, they brought a couple of their rifles prior to their release to the general public, I thought they were pretty impressive. I think they put out one of the best, if not the best ambi-AR out there, being a left I appreciate such things. I just couldn't justify the price tag, but then I never had the opportunity at 12 bills.

Yea, they are my favorite Ambi-AR that I have personal experience with. But, you do pay for it. I have their Raptor CH and Talon selector on every other AR I own as well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top