JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Before Firearms News it was Shotgun News. Back in those days they did an article about AR lowers. They had all the lowers in three classes:

High end quality receivers
Mid Tier lowers
Budget receivers

Of course your Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, and POF were high end; Aero, Spike, and believe it or not, the Anderson lowers were Mid Tier. Omni, and Frontier were junk.

I built an AR lower with a PWA lower and LMT upper. That thing was so tight that it took two of us and a rubber mallet to get the handguards on. PWA was LMT before LMT bought them out. So, admittedly those are really built to close tolerances. However, I once built an AR for a SHTF weapon from existing parts I owned. It was an Aero upper and lower with a Sionics barrel, Toolcraft nickle boron BCG, Troy rail and sights, Smith vortex flash hider, and a PSA enhanced trigger group. In every respect those rifles were equal as best as I could tell, but when money was tight, the PWA was the first to go.

Anyway, before building another AR, I really want to know what makes a Daniel Defense BCM or any other high end weapon any better than those you can build for a third less. The only AR that seems to be worth the price difference to me is the POF. There is a difference in their piston AR. But, when I'm using high quality 4150 chrome lined barrels (MPI inspected, etc.), quality nickle boron BCGs, good triggers, and other high end parts, what am I getting difference over the top tier DI firearms? Tacticool looks? Name brand? BTW, have you ever gone to Sionics website and witnessed what kinds of abuse their barrels can take?

I really am ignorant. I've never had 2 grand to drop on any firearm all at once. Ended up with that in a couple over the course of a year and a half. But, my favorite build has yet to malfunction except once on bad ammo. Rapid fire, don't clean it, and it still holds just over 1 inch groups at 50 yards with iron sights. What would I get in difference to plunk down the big bucks?

TR,

I always buy off the rack when it comes to AR's.

So far, only Colt LE6920's.

Well, and a S&W 1522 AR platform .22 cal. Lots of fun to shoot.

And a 9mm carbine that looks like an AR (sort of) and is also fun to shoot.

None did I assemble, not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just not interested in doing it. Most probably cuz I have 2 left thumbs...

Forged uppers and lowers are made by a small hand full of companies who put whatever roll mark the retailer wants. Even Colt doesn't forge their own receivers, though they do finish hogging them out. IMO the difference between the best and worst is the roll mark.

Put your money into the barrel and trigger. Assemble per spec and pay attention to details. IMO that is what differentiates between the best and the worst where performance and reliability are concerned.

IMHO the extra price you pay for the premium brands is to pay for their marketing telling you it is premium.

The premium brands hold their value better, because people believe the marketing.

If all you want is an accurate reliable rifle, and you have it, then who cares what name is on it?

I have Anderson, LMT, Aero, PSA, Olympic and no-brand uppers and lowers.
The most important components are Bolt, Barrel and trigger.
What brings the most satisfaction (besides a gun that runs, runs, runs and shoots 1moa or better) is the fit and finish. This is where you will pay for it, and it does make a difference.
Look at DD, Noveske, Geissle, LMT, LaRue and I'm sure a bunch of others. You'll pay top dollar, but those are built well, take a beating, and don't come apart. PSA? Yeah, I've had to adjust and tighten, am replacing a barrel on one. Same with Bear Creek.
You can put everything together beautifully form parts off the shelf, and then put a crap-tastic adjustable stock which rattles all the time.
YMMV, and you decide what works best for you and your budget.

IMHO the extra price you pay for the premium brands is to pay for their marketing telling you it is premium.

The premium brands hold their value better, because people believe the marketing.

If all you want is an accurate reliable rifle, and you have it, then who cares what name is on it?

I can tell you straight up SIONICS has historically done very minimal in the way of marketing, they earned their bones via hard use thru LEO contracts across the country and word of mouth of people that know the difference. Anyone thinking/saying a Anderson or PSA, etc is equal is high.

Some high end AR's you are paying for the type of material used, enhanced machining, and proprietary designs.

I have several PWS long stroke piston AR's and a lot of the parts are designed and built in house by them and they are proprietary.

I also have a couple Radian Model 1 rifles. The fit and finish could never be touched by a PSA or Anderson and they have proprietary parts like Ambi features, etc. They are also put together by one gunsmith at the factory who ensures QC.

With that said, if none of that matters, just buy cheap.

Barrel. Trigger. BCG. That's the heart of the rifle. In my opinion you could have an Anderson upper and lower and put a quality barrel, trigger, and BCG and your set. All you're paying for is brand. You can build something that performs better. If you're going to buy complete just get a BCM.

I've tried out Anderson, Noveske and a few others. I can definitely tell the difference but as has been mentioned earlier, LPK makes a big difference. I have an Anderson build with I think it's a CMMG parts kit and a decent BGC (I forget who's) in it. Fees better than most factory builds and will run dirtier that a 4th term politician. I built a bench gun from a Noveske lower and didn't scrimp on the parts and it shows. If you clean and lube everything before assembly and use a thick grease (I like AeroShell Grease #6) on the slow moving parts it can make everything feel even smoother.

Practically speaking? The small parts, especially the trigger group and BCG. Barrels though.... there's a wide variety of them but for the most part, they're pretty good.... of course your mileage may vary. My one and currently only AR; was from Sarco Inc. I don't remember who did the .223 Wylde chambered barrel, but its parkerized and has a decent bore. Upper forge mark is a cardinal head; lower is an Anderson's. Some of the furniture is not U.S. made; the M4 style plastic end came in a bag marked "Made In China" although the commercial? buffer tube had no such markings. It was from their "AR-M4 Flat Top style kit minus carry handle and stripped lower receiver" claimed to have a mix of USGI and New parts :rolleyes: The only USGI parts I could tell was the trigger group and front sight base... everything else seemed very new.

I built several lower receivers and I bought a some Troy Industries fully assembled uppers. Since Troy BCG are not MPI tested and replaced the I eventually replaced them with BCM BCGs. I shot my ARs with the Troy BCGs and they worked so I am keep them as spares.

I spent money on a good chrome lined barrel, a quality BCG like BCM, and a good trigger. I buy BCM PNT triggers assembly. I did buy for my last build, a CMC drop in trigger with a 3.5lb pull. My last build I built the upper receiver and used an Aero upper.

I built several lower receivers and I bought a some Troy Industries fully assembled uppers. Since Troy BCG are not MPI tested and replaced the I eventually replaced them with BCM BCGs. I shot my ARs with the Troy BCGs and they worked so I am keep them as spares.

If we survive the pandemic keep an eye open for SOLGW BCG on sale at Primary Arms, the last ones I got were $115.

They spec out top notch:

Sons of Liberty Gun Works Bolt Carrier Group HPT/MPI
Bolt:

Precision machined from Carpenter Technology No. 158 alloy,
Heat treated per mil-spec,
Shot peened per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430S,
Vibratory tumbled
Individual high pressure/proof (HP)
Full Auto test fired as an assembly
Individual magnetic particle inspection ASTM E1444/E1444M (MP)
Markings deep laser engraved (SP=Shot Peened, HP=High Pressure Tested, MP=Magnetic Particle Inspection.)
Extractor:

Precision machined from 4340 tool steel alloy per SAE AMS6415T/AMS6484D (vs 4140),
Heat treated
Shot peen per ASTM B851/SAE AMS2430S.
Extractor Retaining Pin:

Precision machined and ground S7 Tool Steel
Heat treated per ASTM A681-08
Shot peened per mil-spec print
Manganese phosphate
Extractor Spring:

Tactical Springs/Sprinco 5 coil, ASTM Grade A401 Chrome Silicon wire stock
Heat treated
Stress relieved, Molybdenum-Disulfide infused
Cryogenic processed (all post winding)
Mil-spec black insert/synthetic elastomer extractor buffer (nitrile-butadiene, shore hardness 80+/-5 durometer per MIL-PRF-6855)

Ejector:

S7 Tool Steel
Heat treated per ASTM A681-08
Shot peened per Mil-Spec
Manganese phosphate
Ejector Spring:

Heat treated
Mil Spec
Gas Rings:

Standard stainless steel per Mil-Spec X3
Carrier:

Machined from AISI 8620 aircraft qualty alloy per ASTM A108/A322-13