JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at picking up a new cheap truck for home protects. I was thinking something cheaper and older in the $2000 to $3000 range. Also I would want a smaller truck, not a full size model only because I'm really limited on parking space.

Right now I am looking into late 80s early 90s Ford Rangers and Jeep Comanches.

Just wanted to get some input from others before I get to serious about this.

Toyota t100 would be great but you may find you're better off with a 4runner. They're bullet proof and go anywhere.
In case you can't tell I like Toyota. My DD is Tundra.

image.jpg

Toyota t100 would be great but you may find you're better off with a 4runner. They're bullet proof and go anywhere.
In case you can't tell I like Toyota. My DD is Tundra.

Yes most definitely a T100,but raise your budget up quite a bit for a good one. They are 3-4k with 300k on them.
But they come with the second best engine toyota made ,the 3.4lt
Good luck on those!
Take a look at Mazdas too,they are pretty good little trucks.If they weren't lowered

It's more than twice your budget, but I've got an 03 Tundra regular cab 2x2 with 75k miles that I'll be parting with in a few months. I'm looking to get the dealer value, $5k or so. The truck is immaculate.

A friend had a Mazda B2000 pickup that was still going strong at 300,000 plus miles until a young women more intent on texting then driving rear ended him and totaled the truck.
He called it a Mazdaratti and it was as far from an exotic high performance car as you could get, but it never let him down.

Toyota:
No 3.0 motors - prone to crappy mpg and head gasket failures.
+ 2.2, 2.4, 2.7, 2.0 engines. 3.4's are solid engines.

Ford:
3.0 or 4.0 (pre-98) are good, roller rockers and run darn good for a pushrod engine. Post 98 engines have the timing chain in the rear and one must pull engine to service the chain guides.

Chevy:
4.3's are good. Albeit gas hogs, the 2.2L engines are solid, don't get a 2.8.....!!

Jeeps:
Can't go wrong with the 4.0HO straight 6. Seriously, can't go wrong. Downside is they like to run at 210*, which is warmer than the 195* most other vehies run at.

That's all I can say from my experience in shops

I would be messaging @Just Jim or @solv3nt with the deals they are talking about. Great trucks. I recently got a 4runner sr5 and I love the thing. I have a 08 Camry with 150k and 2 years ago sold a Corolla with 230k. Ran great up till selling. Yeah they are cars not trucks but made me a Toyota fan for life. 4runner just made it more so that I love them.

I have had Chevy trucks most my life and do like them but I love Toyota.

Toyota:
No 3.0 motors - prone to crappy mpg and head gasket failures.
+ 2.2, 2.4, 2.7, 2.0 engines. 3.4's are solid engines.

Ford:
3.0 or 4.0 (pre-98) are good, roller rockers and run darn good for a pushrod engine. Post 98 engines have the timing chain in the rear and one must pull engine to service the chain guides.

Chevy:
4.3's are good. Albeit gas hogs, the 2.2L engines are solid, don't get a 2.8.....!!

Jeeps:
Can't go wrong with the 4.0HO straight 6. Seriously, can't go wrong. Downside is they like to run at 210*, which is warmer than the 195* most other vehies run at.

That's all I can say from my experience in shops

Ford 2.8/2.9 V6 found in Rangers/Bronco IIs is one of the crappiest engines ever made.

Of all the junk I work on for other people, I see the 4.3L Chev V6 the least.

3.0 or 4.0 (pre-98) are good, roller rockers and run darn good for a pushrod engine.
I recently sold a 96 Ranger that had 227K on a 4.0 and ran like new. The front ends on on Rangers leave a lot to be desired - especially those with the Dana 35 axle. The servo controlled transfer case can be problematic but mostly due to to LACK of use. I used to routinely switch mine on to 4 high and low mostly to keep the servo and linkage to the transfer case free and operational.

Last Edited:
Any 4cyl toyota especially the 3/4 ton version. My last little Toyota was 88 I bought for 900 drove for 6-7 years and sold for 950 the 20/22r is probably the best gas engine ever made. I am hoping my tundra will be 1/2 as reliable as my little 4cyl trucks.

I have a bunch of rangers at work and they work ok but just will not haul any weight 8-900 pounds at most and the 6 just does not seem as powerful as the 4 in the toyota.

Last Edited:
I am looking at picking up a new cheap truck for home protects. I was thinking something cheaper and older in the $2000 to $3000 range. Also I would want a smaller truck, not a full size model only because I'm really limited on parking space.

Right now I am looking into late 80s early 90s Ford Rangers and Jeep Comanches.

Just wanted to get some input from others before I get to serious about this.
I totally agree with Papercidal, I was going to buy my Step-sons 88 Toyota 4 Banger and the lil butthead sold it to his friend. I have had my 88 Ford Ranger 2.9L V6 5 speed 4x4 almost 10 years and it has over 265,000 on it. Its a mountain goat in 4x4 and I hauled a 900+ Lb Cabover camper all over with it and its the best rig I have owned. I get 21 MPG, but once you go over 60 MPH you get quite a bit less. I consider it a low maintenance rig as well. Like the phrase some women use about us Men, which I will use regarding any Vehicle is '' Its not the size of the bus , but how you drive it'' anything used and abused ain't gonna last. :s0168::s0054::s0159:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top