JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was interested in the S&W Shield for CC as an upgrade to my
"Pimp's Special" .25. Now I'm not so sure I want to invest that
much money in something that may be forever lost in an evidence
vault if I have to use it.:s0131:

Jack...:cool:

I have an SR9c that I carry pretty much every day, even in summer. I carry it in a hybrid leather/kydex holster under a tucked t-shirt everyday at work and it conceals well. I paid $430 for it at Gunbroker in Woodburn.

I also have a PF9 that I carry in a Remora in a cargo pocket or IWB for the shorts and t-shirt weekend days of summer. I paid $270 for that at a gun show.

Both of these guns are great shooters, but I have had problems with both.

First, the ruger would fail to reset the trigger reliably. It would happen about once every 4 rounds. I sent it back to Ruger, they sent it back a month later. They said they fixed it, but the problem still persisted. They exchanged it for a new gun and I have had no problems since, it has been 100%.

The PF9 was having failures to extract the rounds reliably, maybe 1 in 10 would fail. I called their customer service and told them about the problem, they sent out a new extractor assembly and the problem went away and never came back. It has also been 100% since then.

I'm surprised noone has suggested the Ruger LC9. Slim, concealable, reliable and inexpensive....but it does have the same long DOA trigger like the Kahrs do. Personally, I think that is a plus in a self defense situation, where you may be sweaty and shaky. Less chance of inadvertant discharge.

I want to second the recomendation for thr Kahr CW9 (or a good used PM9). I have a P9 and love it. I only have around 800 rounds through it but have not had a malfunction shooting whitebox 115gr, Lawman 124gr, or my own loads using Berry's HBRN-TP, ans Sierra 125's. The trigger is very smooth, little muzzle flip using a two handed firm grip, and it's a pleasure to shoot.

I carry a 4.5" XDM 40 S&W, but I'm going smaller because it's a bear to carry. For the winter time, I'm going to get a smaller XD or XDM and get the 357 sig conversion barrel. For the summer, I'm probably going to go with the Walther PPS 40, unless Springfield hurries up and releases an XDS in 40 S&W. I know there are a lot of 9mm fans but I would rather have greater ballistics that the 40 or 357 sig provides. I know, we could argue ballistics all day long (I would prefer to not go there, we all have our reasons and let's respect one another's) but it's my preference.

It all depends on its use. If its for CC then a lesser brand name will fit the bill.. If ever you had to use your firearm you do know it will be taken for evidence right? Why have a $1500 kimber rust away in the atrocious evidence storage only to be retured pitted and inoperable when your inexpensive pistol could have fit the bill?

Also, your CC IS NOT A RANGE PISTOL!!! The lower end pistols are made to be a back up/ last resort but still be a functional and reliable firearm.

If CC is the name of the game its to stop the threat at hand, no more no less.. You are NOT rambo and you probably are not going to have to empty an entire mag (Given the mags capacity is 8-10) remember the courts look at that too. A full mag dump for one assailant is overkill in their eyes even if he was a sith lord hell bent on taking over the world with his ninja skills and death ray.

Now a "Get Home Gun" is a different story, that needs to be a full sized (For me) pistol in either .40 or 9mm (again, for me) with no less than 4-5 mags total. The primary reasoning and usage being in-state distance travel for work or R&R, but then again, a rifle (for me) is needed 15-20 miles outside of my "Zone".

Honestly the Kel Tecs, Ruger P series and SCCY X2s (among some others) are NOT that bad. Just becuase your buddies went out and bought a $900-$2000 pistol for CC doesnt make them a better shooter nor does it mean that their firearms are somehow more magically reliabe.

For $400, you can get a SIG SP2022. I become more and more impressed with that gun every time I shoot it. Never had a malfunction, I carry it with confidence, and no longer own any Glocks.

Also, your CC IS NOT A RANGE PISTOL!!! The lower end pistols are made to be a back up/ last resort but still be a functional and reliable firearm.

Uh... wrong answer RPOC. Gotta disagree with you there a little bit.

First off: a CC pistol IS a range pistol. In fact it should be your primary range pistol. If that is what you are going to carry on a daily basis, and is the gun most likely to save your life, then it needs to be one that you practice with more than any other gun. There's no point shooting thousands of rounds with your 5" barrel gun and then carrying your 3" and thinking you're going to shoot the same.

Second: They're not a back up "last resort" gun. My carry gun is my first and ONLY resort. Maybe if you're LEO with a pistol belt full of gear and you're carrying a full sized gun AND a back up gun, then you could consider it a back up gun. But for most of us regular type dudes, my CC gun is the only gun on me.. and therefore it is my primary weapon.

Buy something that is comfortable to shoot. I understand, in a DGU you're going to care about how it feels to shoot. But you want something that is comfortable so that you can/will practice and train with it over and over again for long periods of time at the range/woods/where you go.

My .02

Love the forum.

I agree. In a defensive situation, you're going to be full of adrenilne, your heart pumping, and a host of other things will be happening that your "old brain" is driving you to do in automatic fight or flight mode. It's how we're made. Pulling a pistol in that situation actually can be a way of countering that as you replace the autonomous actions with a conscious one. Pull the pistol, grip it, sight picture, trigger control, etc, all suddenly pull your focus together. That's why I describe shooting as a martial art, albeit a very loud one. but that only occurs if it's something you've done the same way hundreds if not thousands of times. And only if it's with the same pistol and know what it's going to do if and when you let a round go. Noise, recoil, barrel flip, return to target, one hand, two hand, etc. Shoot what you carry, at least a few mags worth every time you're at the range. Even the most lightweight of guns will tolerate that. Even a lot of the cheaper guns have extensive if not lifetime warranties so if you do break it, they'll fix them. Muscle memory is one of the human body's greatest miracles. Use it.

It all depends on its use. If its for CC then a lesser brand name will fit the bill.. If ever you had to use your firearm you do know it will be taken for evidence right? Why have a $1500 kimber rust away in the atrocious evidence storage only to be retured pitted and inoperable when your inexpensive pistol could have fit the bill?

If CC is the name of the game its to stop the threat at hand, no more no less.. You are NOT rambo and you probably are not going to have to empty an entire mag (Given the mags capacity is 8-10) remember the courts look at that too. A full mag dump for one assailant is overkill in their eyes even if he was a sith lord hell bent on taking over the world with his ninja skills and death ray.

Now a "Get Home Gun" is a different story, that needs to be a full sized (For me) pistol in either .40 or 9mm (again, for me) with no less than 4-5 mags total. The primary reasoning and usage being in-state distance travel for work or R&R, but then again, a rifle (for me) is needed 15-20 miles outside of my "Zone".

Honestly the Kel Tecs, Ruger P series and SCCY X2s (among some others) are NOT that bad. Just becuase your buddies went out and bought a $900-$2000 pistol for CC doesnt make them a better shooter nor does it mean that their firearms are somehow more magically reliabe.

Your point is well taken. CCW is something your life depends on, when the deadly threat is imminent and you have no other choice but to fire that pistol to your assailant. Most people carry for personal protection. You might never pull it out of your holster or pocket, exempt for that one time that you really need it. But when you do, like you said, the pistol is taken for evidence, and most likely, be taken apart for examination.

There are many "cheap and affordable" pistols that are concealable, but I think going with the reputable company with good customer service is the key.

I got Kahr CW9, after doing some research, talking to a few Kahr owners, and shooting several DOA pistols of same size. At the gun show, I held CW9, and wow!, it fits like a glove. DOA was a bit of getting used to, but I like it now. No hammer means much less chance of dust and lints going inside the pistol. Also, since it is a DOA pistol with a long (but smooth) trigger pull, there is less chance of going off by mistake. I can carry in the holster, or in my cargo shorts in summer.

Currently I a thinking of getting small and inexpensive .380 (like LCP) or smaller 9mm (like PF-9 or DB9). I hear both praises and criticisms for these pistols, and that these aren't comfortable to shoot. Got to remember that these are not the range guns. You only need to be able to place a good shots in close proximity, and not from 50 feet.

Hell, if I was 50 feet from my would-be assailant, I just run...

Uh... wrong answer RPOC. Gotta disagree with you there a little bit.

First off: a CC pistol IS a range pistol. In fact it should be your primary range pistol. If that is what you are going to carry on a daily basis, and is the gun most likely to save your life, then it needs to be one that you practice with more than any other gun. There's no point shooting thousands of rounds with your 5" barrel gun and then carrying your 3" and thinking you're going to shoot the same.

Second: They're not a back up "last resort" gun. My carry gun is my first and ONLY resort. Maybe if you're LEO with a pistol belt full of gear and you're carrying a full sized gun AND a back up gun, then you could consider it a back up gun. But for most of us regular type dudes, my CC gun is the only gun on me.. and therefore it is my primary weapon.

Buy something that is comfortable to shoot. I understand, in a DGU you're going to care about how it feels to shoot. But you want something that is comfortable so that you can/will practice and train with it over and over again for long periods of time at the range/woods/where you go.

My .02

Love the forum.

Uh, negatory captain. As range test show more and more of these CC desinged pistols are tailored and suited for nonextended periods of firing, I.e. PRACTICE not Training. Honestly, look at half of what the folks out there are packing in terms of CC not all of them are rocking pistols that are durration tested. And if you really do have all that practice under your belt shooting becomes instinctual. Its how I carry my CC firearm that I practice with, my draw for CC is different than my draw for my range pistols. (That part is just me though)
I can point and click with any firearm, you are not going to be engaging an assailant from a distance further than 25 yards. Nearly all of the folks who had to draw were all withing a 5-20 foot zone, if you cant hit anything with a firearm other than the one you "train" with, you probably need more practice.

Second, I wanted to delve further into how I don't mind CCing a full sized pistol (My range pistols) because I wear larger clothing, I'm 6'6 and length for shirts generally comes with some bagginess. If I print I print. I feel most comfortable toting around my full sized pistol because I like the feel better, but honestly you all get so hung up on having top of the line gear and training with these tiny LCPs and KEL tecs like its a full sized 1911, G17..ect..
I own smaller framed autos and air weight wheel guns.. but I certainly don't train on them, they werent desinged to be trained with, they ARE how ever desinged to have some practice time, but not honest to goodness range time, perhaps you are looking into the semantics of my phrasing but its all the same a "range pisto"l is a full sized pistol
(For the user, if you've got tiny hands then a medium frame is just the same) and a CC pistol is usually a small frame CC pistol again usually with a lighter frame (Its moving that way, don't fight me on it)

Also note, my primary is NOT a pistol its my rifle. Your pistol is your gun to get a gun (i.e. a rifle or shotgun) Yes, I do tote a rifle with me a few days out of the week. Despite what some say, if I'm past my "Zone" then I bring my rifle. Not often but I'd rather have a shotgun than a pistol and I'd rather have a semi auto rifle than a shotgun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top