JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got one of these today due to discussion from another thread so thought I would post up some impressions in case people r interested. Perspective wise I don't hold these to the same standard as >$300 knives, more just for fun but I do care about mechanical function a lot (sort of like with reliability on guns). I'll list impressions of amazon vs S&w on same line. Just stuff off top of my head so maybe things missing here. Both are out-the-front with double sided spear tip blade.

amazon $32.79. S&w $37 on sale

- Big as$ knife, 3.9" blade. s&w smaller(see pic)
- Big and pretty heavy in hand, could use glass breaker end if needed for SD, it would hurt. S&w smaller and wider in hand.
- prefer button location on the side like this compared to S&W. I'm fine with middle location on S&W cuz I'm used to it but if I had choice I would choose side
- Button stiff at first but now good after about 300 actuations. S&w single action much lighter but it has a safety. S&w also has cumbersome recocking action compared to amazon which is double action (no cocking needed)
- zinc metal frame, feels much thinner than s&w and much less "tinny" (ie feels like solid block more than hollow). S&w feels hollow and tinny and lighter weight. Kinda like a matchbox toy truck or van (feels more hollow)
- much thinner than s&w. This isn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. Primarily because knife is longer. But really feels good in hand (when pocket clip removed) due to thin and dense feeling.
- Action is very fast and snappy. As in really fast. I don't trust it long term just due to price point, not due to any failure with first few hundred openings. Return action equally snappy. A bit of a twang after release which I wouldn't expect if it was the >$300 variety. S&w not nearly as fast or snappy.
- button to fire is just right, firm, not too easy to push. Relatively long travel. No safety. S&w about 2/3 lighter but has safety
- pocket clip is a complete joke , zinc metal and doesnt hold tight like if it were built from steel. I don't trust it to hold at all. Actually I like the feel of knife in my hand much much better without the pocket clip and glass breaker So I'll leave it off or maybe put a 1/4 bit holder there. S & w pocket clip extremely tight, no issues at all.
-glass breaker appears to be zinc metal with small steel ball in the end. I'm sure it would work but it's too big imo. S&W glass breaker appears to be hardened steel and much better made and small/pointed.
- blade wobble is noticeable both side to side and up and down. Measured at 1.5mm at the tip. This is biggest downside by far. S&w barely perceptible (about 0.3mm) blade wobble after about 3000 actuations (I would guess).

So I would say in comparison S&w negatives are single action (extra steps required for decocking), feels tinny/hollow, smaller blade. Safety. Positives are less wobble. Aus8 steel is fine for a <$40 knife imo.

Amazon negatives are blade wobble, poor pocket clip and glass breaker. Can't say about steel yet, one comment said 440c I think it was but doesn't say that on blade. Positives are very snappy action, thin frame, big blade, solid feel and feels nice in hand if pocket clip is removed. Looks to come with a really nice sheath but I only glanced at it.

amazon is 1.2cm (just under 1/2") thick not counting pocket clip. S&w is 2.2 cm (7/8") thick not counting pocket clip, but including firing button. Let me know if any questions. Thx! 3E4D15B8-4CF0-4737-8706-713CD64EBD9E.jpeg
1E024102-1919-4E5A-AA82-40FCEE2266E9.jpeg 2CAA048E-16BB-486E-A0B0-5F89833C4F73.jpeg

Last Edited:
I guess no one is really interested in info on these which is fine but I thought I should update just for sake of completeness.

- After hundreds more times firing the amazon knife, screwing down the 6 screws tighter than they were, and mild oiling, it is close to perfect as far as firing. Really smooth, no twang, not real loud, very snappy, and crisp not sloppy action.

- Sharpening so far I can't seem to get it really really sharp but that could be me more than the blade so not sure yet on blade material/sharpnening/ability to hold an edge.

- No change to blade wobble which is its biggest drawback. It depends how fussy a person is about it. Some may not even notice it probably but I'm really picky about that. 1.5mm total is not much but if it was a $300 knife my guess is it would seem like a ton of wobble. ?

- for $33ish it's really good. Seems to be direct copy of microtech from what I can tell but of course using inferior materials compared to the more expensive micro tech. Have not done a side-by-side comparison or anything with microtech. Just basing on what I see online (fwiw).

Yea I didn't even know the microtech one existed until getting this knife. Same with high end watches, getting a clone can make u want the real thing (not always of course). Microtech was not even on my radar at all but after getting this cheap one I'm kinda interested cuz I can imagine what this one would be like with zero wobble and better steel. And imagining like that is dangerous cuz it's first step to wanting/buying.;)

Yea I didn't even know the microtech one existed until getting this knife. Same with high end watches, getting a clone can make u want the real thing (not always of course). Microtech was not even on my radar at all but after getting this cheap one I'm kinda interested cuz I can imagine what this one would be like with zero wobble and better steel. And imagining like that is dangerous cuz it's first step to wanting/buying.;)
your best bet is a $30 Taiwanese made lightning OTF that is essentially a microtech scarab rip off but is ubiquitous enough at this point that nobody is screaming counterfeit. as you discovered, putting some grease on the spring will get rid of the twang. you will even hear some people's $300 ultratech make that same twangy sound when the grease has finally dissipated. honestly, for otf's, your best bet is probably just to stick with a $30 lightning that you don't have to be so careful with, (I accidentally heaved mine into a dumpster along with¹ an arm load of metal and dug it out working just fine)
. that $300 is going to get you a better blade Steel, some better tolerances and less wobble, and mostly just looks.
the guardian tactical recon 035 and 040, however, that 300+ will also buy you a smooth button which is actually worth more than you'd expect once you try one

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top