Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CHEAP AR500 steel targets, get in on the buy while you can.

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by mccuistion, Mar 12, 2013.

1. mccuistion

mccuistion pierce county Member

Ok it looks like this idea has taken flight, put your orders in so we can buy the sheet and I can start making these bad boys!

My place of work has a distributor that can supply ar500 steel so I’m buying a 8x20x3/8" sheet and fabing some targets. The targets will be sold at cost ($20-30sq/ft, still TBD) and a few members have even volunteered to help eliminate shipping costs for you Oregonians. Cooper2010 has announced he is willing to be the pack mule down to the Clackamas Mall area. Matt_W will meet him and store the targets at his house in Hillsboro, OR for people to pickup. This is optional though, I AM willing to ship but it will be on your dime.

You are purchasing material by the square foot and with that material I’m willing to make:
    -ANY sized square gong
    -18”x30” silhouettes (full sized IPSC target)
    -12”x20” silhouettes (2/3 scale IPSC target)
    -12”x24” silhouettes (these will look skinny but have minimal scrap)
    -possibly circle gongs of any size (I have to fabricate a compass for the plasma cutter first)

Post here and tell me how big/ what type of target you want and I will update the list.

Current buyer list
    Cpy911---------2sq/ft - 1 ea. of 6", 10", 12" rounds with hole on top.
    Swivelheadd----4sq/ft - 1 silhouette (1' wide x 2'), a couple 6" and a 12" round.
    Cooper2010-----5sq/ft - 2ea silhouette (1' wide x 2'), a couple 6" round.
    Theflyguy-------2sq/ft – 2ea two 10" targets with two holes on each.
    Matt_W--------~5sq/ft – 2ea silhouette and 2ea gongs.
    wsu 5.9er-------5sq/ft – 2ea silhouette and 2ea gongs.
    tangent123123--8sq/ft - 2 x 1'x2' silhouettes, 2ea 6" rounds and 1ea 12" round.
    Oregonty--------8sq/ft - 2 full sized ipsc targets, 4ea 12" gongs, and 1ea 20x20 gong.

the square footage above is just a rough estimate so i can tell when were getting close to filling the sheet and can begin the order/fab process.

Ok guys looks like we have our 40sq/ft needed to order.
    I'm going to PM everyone on the list individually to confirm their order and get any special requests (holes, no holes, location, ect). Once everyone has confirmed I will have our steel distributor hold the sheet in their yard for us until we aquire funds and then the fun begins!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. cpy911

cpy911 Newberg Active Member

Howdy, I am interested in 1-2 sq ft. (Like two 12" diameter rounds with a hole on top). I might be able to talk some buddies into a few more sq ft for a mini group buy on one purchase/address. I am in PDX area, would you ship them? You running a plasma cutter?

Great idea by the way. Small AR500 gongs are way, way marked up. I have been using plain old mild steel gongs for light rifle and pistol rounds with lead reloads and having fun. Would be great to run full house rifle loads on some AR500.

3. hawksfan503

hawksfan503 federal way Member

If you want some high end steel targets buy a Salute Target. On Friday I shot one with 400 rounds of steel core 62gr 5.56 from inside 10 yards. Yes less than 30' with no damage to the target. The target I have shot has had over 10,000 rounds hit it and is in great shape and yes all shots were from inside 10 yards.Salute Target rock!!!!!

4. swivelheadd

swivelheadd Vancouver, WA New Member

I'd be interested in a silhouette (1' wide x 2'), a couple 6" and a 12" round. Same questions as cpy regarding shipping and plasma cutter.

5. mccuistion

Our fab shop has 2 plasma cutters and several welders. The plasma is by hand and I'll grind the cut smoot but I can't promise a CnC quality line. I'm also willing to weld up a mount for say a 4x4 piece of wood or something. It can be arranged with individuals.

Yes I'm willing to do specific shapes for each person. I plan on making 4 silhouettes for myself with a mounting device on the back(unknown what yet) so I can put it on a stand and it sits at a 15 degree downward angle for safety. Once I fab my mount up I can show others and see if they would like the same.

Additionally, I'm more than happy to ship wherever you wish at cost on your dime (again I'm not looking to make a penny here, just trying to help out the community as it has helped me in several random ways)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  6. cooper2010

cooper2010 WA New Member

I would be interested in a couple of 1'X2' feet silhouette and a couple 6" rounds.

I might be able to help with delivery as I travel to Seattle, Spokane and Portland/Vancouver. If there are folks who are along those routes I could possibly stop and meet somewhere. I will possibly be in Seattle area in late March early April, will probably be in Portland area mid to late April and in Spokane area in-between those two dates.

7. rawen2

rawen2 Portland Area Active Member

I'm interested but live near Portland.

8. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

I'd be interested in 2 (8" or 10"), with two holes near the top for mounting chain. I live in Beaverton

9. NUCLEARMJ

NUCLEARMJ Lafayette/Hillsboro Member

Why are you shooting 5.56 from 10 yards? Thats Pistol distance.

10. mccuistion

So it sounds like we have about 25 sq/ft accounted for already, it's a good start!
    I will call our distributor this week and get us an exact price and minimum sheet size requirement. to expedite the manufacturing process I may just limit target sizes to 6" 8" 10" and 12" gongs with a few diferent size silhouettes and squares to choose from.

Regarding my statement about the straight lines. I received a PM and I would like to assure you guys this isn't the first time I've used a plasma cutter(it's part of my job) and I will be using a straight edge guide so don't assume it will be some janky lop sided silhouette haha.

11. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I'm interested in at least 2 silhouette and 2 gongs. Are you going to keep the gongs rectangular shaped in order to cut down on waste?

If cooper can pick them up and drop them in the Portland area, maybe we can consolidate all the Portland area ones at someones house so no one has to pay for shipping. I will volunteer, although I live in Hillsboro which is a ways from Portland.

12. Onajoyride

Onajoyride Tigard Member

My uncle is a federal officer of sorts. He was shooting at close distances like that and his niece caught a 40 cal ricochet and had to be taken to the hospital for surgery. If you value your life you should not shoot steel even with a pistol at close ranges. Be safe out the guys. I have targets from Steel Horse Customs who is a site sponsor and I love the targets. Worth a look if your in the market

13. cooper2010

cooper2010 WA New Member

When I'm in Portland area I will be in the Eastern parts. Major roads 82nd is usually as far west I go, and Division on occasion I'll be as far south as Sunnyside (around the Clackamas Mall area). North into Vancouver...lets just say Fisher's Landing. Again I'm not exactly sure when I will be in the PDX area but I will be in the area.

14. cpy911

So, I am seeing an opportunity for the P-town area guys to save on shipping.

Summarizing:
    cooper2010 lives in Washington but may be able to come down to PDX area with our stuff....when, where (Clackamas Mall???) and who gets the stuff is still TBD.

Buyers in P-town (NON-SEATTLE) area (including Vancouver, WA and PDX Metro) are:

1. cpy911 (Newberg, OR) qty 1 ea. of 6", 10", 12" rounds with hole on top
    2. swivelheadd (Vancouver, WA) silhouette (1' wide x 2'), a couple 6" and a 12" round
    3. rawen2 (Portland Area) TBD
    4. theflyguy (Beaverton, OR) qty 2 (8" or 10") with hole on top
    5. matt_w (Hillsboro) 2 silhouette and 2 gongs.

mccuistion, perhaps you can edit your OP to include a master list of everyone's order and total cost? That way we know you got our "order".

15. matt_w

I can drive out and meet you. Non rush-hour times are best though if that's possible on your end.

16. cpy911

matt_w, would you be willing to hoard the stuff for later pickup in Hillsboro if we can't meet up with cooper2010?

17. matt_w

Yeah that's the plan...hold it at my house for everyone else who wants to come pick it up. Shipping expenses on steel plate really adds up.

18. rawen2

rawen2 Portland Area Active Member

Matt and cooper10, It's good of you guys to offer to help with delivery. I'd sure be willing to pitch in some gas money.
    I'm interested in getting a gong but don't really care if it's square or round. Might also want to get a silhouette if I can afford it.

19. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

Interested in some squares and a couple of silhouettes.

20. cpy911

Thanks for offering this cooper2010 for transport from Seattle and matt_w for storage in PDX area.
    We'll finalize details as mccuistion gets his orders, money and parts cut.