JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use the plastic ones too. Like markad said, there better and they will probably last much longer. I would get one with the steel hinge instead of the plastic hinge that just bends.

The only reason I was thinking of using the styrofoam was because I have a lot of 9mm to reload that's just for plinking. I use the plastic boxes for all my home defense reloads and rifle rounds.

Just use a surplus ammo can :s0159: I use ammo cans and have wooden boxes that I store my plinking ammo in. It's a lot cheaper than buying 50 plastic cases that take up a lot of space and only hold 50 rounds. The ammo cans are weather proof and have handy handles built in are built of steel so if you drop it I doubt it would crack unlike it's plastic counter part.

I've been using the empty milk jugs from Costco. Just rinse them out with soap and water, and let them air dry for a day or so. The Costco milk jugs are pretty heavy duty as far as milk jugs go, they have a square-ish shape that fits on a shelf nicely. The large cap allows you to pour out the ammo easily. You can write the caliber on the outside of them with a sharpie for easy identification. They're free when you buy milk.

Sadly, you can find plenty of empty ammo trays at many of our outdoor shooting areas.

Works for me. I love to dumpster dive when the local LE's finish shooting. I also use their large pistol trays for my cast and jacketed .458 bullets. Gives me a quick count and they don't get banged up (Pun) rattling around in a drawer. :s0155:

Jack...:cool:

So after all the time I've spent in the commercial loading world, this is a near and dear subject for me.

There are more than a few places to get the plastic ammo boxes. In the commercial world, we would order typically from berry's or J&J Products. Both companies make the best/cheapest ammo boxes out there. MTM Case-Gard also makes them (I think Plano is the actual mfg of these).

While the plastic boxes are the most obviously reusable, they have a bad tendency to crack under rough handling, and don't last anywhere near as long as you would think they should. Also, the plastic boxes are bulky, and can be difficult to pack into another container efficiently. The notable exception to this are the 20rd slip top cover type, I use the ones from J&J for all my .308 as they fit perfectly into a 50 cal ammo can (IIRC 2 layers, stacks up 400 rounds or so).

If you're looking for paper boxes, midwayusa makes and sells them, however I think they are simply reselling the ones Top Brass makes. I have also been considering getting some die cut boxes made to mil std (the plain pulp paper boxes .223 and 9mm come in) but I have to order a few hundred thousand before the price each starts to get to be reasonable.

Top Brass, Inc. | Products | Rifle Brass, Pistol Brass, Reloading

J and J Products - Ammunition Cases

What I typically do for bulk ammo, is two 5x5x5" cube box available from U-Line will fit 2 in a 50 cal ammo can, this keeps things from rattling around too much against the steel can, and once folded they give about 1.5" of space on top that you can throw some mags or other bits. It also allows you to have two different things in one ammo can and still maintain order. If you fold the box tops so stuff doesn't spill out it works great.

5 x 5 x 5" Corrugated Boxes S-4050 - Uline

Given the choice of J&J or MTM, I prefer by far the MTM. The MTM uses an actual hinge rather than just a piece of plastic "flashing" and lasts far longer. It wouldn't be so bad if J&J actually had a second latch on the hinge side so when the cheap imitation hinge fails you don't just end up with an open top ammo "rack".

Pay a buck more and get the MTM's. In the end they're far cheaper. As for the paper boxes, Top Brass has good boxes and good prices. Order lots so the shipping is a lower percent of the total. Shipping paper ammo boxes is a lot of "air" when you have to pack the tray's too. They don't collapse very well. If I recall correctly my last shipment from Scharch (Top Brass) was for 100 boxes and the freight was in the $20-$30 range.

Smart reloader seems to be a good plastic ammo box. I haven't tried any myself, but I will be placing an order as soon as I find the cheapest place to buy them.

Given the choice of J&J or MTM, I prefer by far the MTM. The MTM uses an actual hinge rather than just a piece of plastic "flashing" and lasts far longer. It wouldn't be so bad if J&J actually had a second latch on the hinge side so when the cheap imitation hinge fails you don't just end up with an open top ammo "rack".

Most plastic ammo boxes suck, the hinge type usually crack or fail, don't stack evenly inside an ammo can, and are a general nuisance, the only type that start to pull their own weight are the slip top type.

You know, one thing I saw the other day was someone selling what was essentially a desk-top tool for casting your own styrifoam trays. You just sprayed the stuff in, waited like 10 seconds for it to cure, open it up pop it out and do the next one.

I just recently got started in reloading and now I'm looking for some cheap ammo boxes for 9mm. I have quite a bit to load and was looking at these boxes from midway-

CB-01 Ammo Box Styrofoam Tray 25 ACP 380 ACP 9mm Luger 50-Round

Does anyone locally sell a similar product?

Thanks

The Gun Shop in Longview sells plain white boxes. No styrofoam insert. You just fold the box up. I bought some for .45 Acp and then got some nice heavy paper/board and folded my own using the one from the gun shop as a templet.
Good Luck

Most plastic ammo boxes suck, the hinge type usually crack or fail, don't stack evenly inside an ammo can, and are a general nuisance, the only type that start to pull their own weight are the slip top type.

You know, one thing I saw the other day was someone selling what was essentially a desk-top tool for casting your own styrifoam trays. You just sprayed the stuff in, waited like 10 seconds for it to cure, open it up pop it out and do the next one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top