JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been stockpiling my brass for that same reason. How much did you send?

Two batches of 40 lbs. They've changed their system so you can stockpile credit. I've found that stuffing 40 lbs. into a large flat-rate box makes the most economic sense. The folks at the PO aren't happy but "if it fits, it ships!"

Well here is my "Gun show reload" story. Many years ago when I was living in Oklahoma I bought a bunch of factory loaded ammo from a vender who also manufactured ammo. Bought a box of his custom loaded .40 to try out and it shot pretty well and beat the factory by a few dollars. So after talking to him for a while I bought a few more boxes and went to the range.
After a few magazines I had a complete Kaboom, slide was knocked of its rails and the frame split down the middle. My hand was bleeding and I also was very lucky because I was wearing my safety glasses. I called him up and he said it was my pistol not his custom ammo, but he replaced my firearm anyways and also replaced his custom ammo with factory federal. So as we are transferring SW99s we get to talking and he says that it will be good to have a .40 in his inventory. I say, you don't test your loads in a gun? He says he just goes off the published data in the load books. I am thinking you sell ammo online to people, at shows and have a automated ammo factory but you dont do load tests with actual guns? Well at least I got a new gun out of all this. Granted this was over 12 years ago but I learned a lot.

So I reload now, with extreme attention to detail from all this. Found a box of his "custom" ammo last year and broke down a few just to satisfy my curiosity. Of the 10 I broke down, most were 4.9 grains but 3 were 6.5 grains and I remember he said he used a Shotgun powder for the .40 so you guessed it. Over loaded for sure. Plus I suspect that his automatic loading machine may have been a factor.
Your story is the very reason I decided not to sell RE-manufacturered ammo. WAY too much liability on my part.

If I did not make it, I won't use it. Steel case is hard on extractors and can also erode your chamber after prolonged use. Aluminum is so so in my pistols and I just spend the extra dollar or two on brass ammo.
Although it is funny to watch people on the range have issues with steel/aluminum and blame the firearm. Then tell you to mind your own business when you try to help them. I even went as far as field striping one of my pistols to show that the steel cased would not chamber because the rounds were out of spec.

last ammo crunch I was grateful to score a brick of reloads. All shot fine and clean.

today I can find new mfg loads as cheap so I dont bother with buying reloads. My rule of thumb is to only buy name brand new ammo, but scour the net and LGS for the cheapest available...

I have never been a fan of running re loads that are not from a known and trusted person. I have had the un fortunate experience of seeing first hand a rifle blown apart and very serious trauma due to running unknown reloads. I only run factory brand ammo from known manufactures and stay in the mid price range for most of that. My own reloads are generally in the mid to high range but well under the limits as recommended in the loading manual!

I started reloading when I was 21. I loaded 44 magnum rounds back then. Got married, had our first daughter and reloading became too time consuming, Now 40 years later I reload almost everything I shoot. I load 8 different calibers. There was a time when I would let my daughter shoot my 38 special reloads. She fired maybe 500 rounds that I reloaded. I decided it could be risky and now I only give her factory rounds. I have a lot of factory rounds stored and shoot them on rare occasions. I have probably reloaded approximately 5-6 thousand rounds in the last 8 years and I have never had any problems of any kind. I do not load for volume, I load one round at a time in a single stage press, usually 100 at a sitting. Time consuming, but worth the extra safety. I enjoy walking into the range knowing I do not have to buy the over priced ammo they sell.

I noticed a lot of people said that they would shoot reloads if they knew the guy. I had a guy come in today, second time in a month, with a squib stuck in the barrel. Same gun, same reloads, same person reloaded (someone he "trusts"). I think this time he will take my advice to stop shooting those rounds lol

All you guys from Oregon know this is the place for reloading gear and ammo when you move fast and grab the good sales.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=71

I usually get everything I need to reload and hunt with through here except I use the Hornady 60 grain soft point for reloading cheaply to bumpfire the 223. 11 dollars a hundred for projectiles when on sale @ BiMart and I usually buy all of them I can. They whop a coyote really well too, and I would have no problem shooting a deer if I had to with them. Grab the blems off of shooters proshop= Nosler bullets and 1/2 prices. I shouldn't be telling you guys this as it is going to be less for me...OH and I would N E V E R shoot anything but my own loads or factory.. E v e r ... period

and

BUT, if someone wanted to give me some reloads I would definitely take them, pull the bullets, ask what powder is in them and then reload them back to my specs after checking brass lengths and primer seats.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top