JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Soo Iv Already Got a glock 27.40 Cal that I carry.... And just bought a Mossberg 500 Tactical 12ga, for my house... But Id really like a compact or a subcompact 1911 style handgun... But i dont wanna pay out the *** for one.... Does anyone have any suggestions on one that's around the $500 range? Thanks:s0155:

I just got my rock island tactical 3.5 inch barrel, beautiful little gun fits nice in the hand. Great value in the 1911 market. check out m1911.org in the weapons discussions many happy coustomers. Centerfiresystems.com had 5 left 2 weeks ago 460.00 out the door

Cheap isn't something you should be looking for, low priced is a better option :p

Pretty much the only common choices are the Taurus (tons of features, lower build quality), Springfield GI (great build quality, very few features), and the armscor/RIA (decent features and alright build quality)

My Taurus PT1911 wasnt "cheap", but it was pretty affordable at around $600.00. I don't know about the lower build quality though, so far it's very accurate (my second most accurate/ease of point pistol at this time) and has a 750/750 reliability rate.

The only problem I've yet had is that the set screw for the front site came loose while I was shooting one day. I reset it, gave it a good tightening and have had no problems with it since.

Some people have had problems with the ambi-safty breaking on thier PT1911's, but it seems for the most part that problem has been fixed. Even with that problem though, it's an easy fix (Wilson makes a drop in replacement thats supposed to be very nice) the pt-1911 is still a **** of a deal and a **** of a gun.

If you're going to carry a .45 I'd recommend a double action pistol! Smith & Wesson makes a model 4566 that's stainless steel, traditional double action, 4" bbl, eight rnd mag. I recently purchased a used (police turn in) for under $325. You might also look at a S&W model 457, .45, 3 1/2" bbl.

My Taurus PT1911 wasnt "cheap", but it was pretty affordable at around $600.00. I don't know about the lower build quality though, so far it's very accurate (my second most accurate/ease of point pistol at this time) and has a 750/750 reliability rate.

The only problem I've yet had is that the set screw for the front site came loose while I was shooting one day. I reset it, gave it a good tightening and have had no problems with it since.

Some people have had problems with the ambi-safty breaking on thier PT1911's, but it seems for the most part that problem has been fixed. Even with that problem though, it's an easy fix (Wilson makes a drop in replacement thats supposed to be very nice) the pt-1911 is still a **** of a deal and a **** of a gun.
+1 on the Taurus PT1911! I carry mine daily. It has been 1200/1200 reliable.
I have yet to have any issues with it.

+2 on the Taurus. I can only think that people who bad mouth them have never owned them. People who own them seem to love them. So do the major reviewers. I'm a huge fan. Accurate, reliable, tight. If you are status conscious with your buddies at the range, OK. If not, well, you get my point.

I wonder how many of the major 1911 smiths have owned a PT1911 for an extended period of time, or shot one extensively?

Well you just have to examine one closely to see the lower quality build. Although from what I have seen, they function perfectly, the lack of attention to detail and quality control is probably why smiths don't like or trust them.

Well you just have to examine one closely to see the lower quality build. Although from what I have seen, they function perfectly, the lack of attention to detail and quality control is probably why smiths don't like or trust them.
I love it when guys at the range get snobby and look down their noses when I pull out my PT1911. They quickly lose the attitude when I outshoot them and their fancy guns that cost twice to three times what mine did.
:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top