JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My brother got me one for Christmas and I'm hoping you guys can give me some information on the gun, I've seen it and handled it. It feels nice and is an older looking gun, but I just havn't really heard much about the caliber (.44 special) or the company itself (charter arms).

Thanks for any info!
Justin

I had one for a short while. I am a huge .44 special fan. It's a good defensive round, because it can throw a bigger and heavier bullet than .38s/.357s, and comes in a much smaller and lighter gun (usually) than .44 mag. I just wish more companies made defensive revolvers in .44 special. The only smaller guns I know of in .44sp are the S&W 296, 396, or the charter arms. There is also the S&W 696 (L frame) and 624 (N frame), but those are usually found in 4" or longer barrels.

The Charter Arms did not impress me much, although they are inexpensive guns, I would rate the quality of the one I had below those of the taurus's I've owned. The hammer rubbed the frame slightly on both sides, and the trigger was horrendous. But it works for what it is, a small, inexpensive, carry/backpack/vehicle gun.

Thanks Physicsguy, I wanted something from him that he liked and was within his budget and thats what he chose, and I can't expect to much because he's not a gun owner (at least not until christmas anyway :D)

I've had one for almost 15yrs now.. I took it as collateral on a $100 loan. I've probably put 1k rounds through it and its about as accurate as you can ask for a snubby, I can put a full cylinder into the center of a paper plate at 25yrds DA and slightly smaller groups SA.. Its is a great little backpack/vehicle gun as stated above. Mine rides in a CoM safe bolted behind the seat in my truck.. I take it out and cycle the ammo through it every couple of months and have never had any issue with it.

The .44 Spl round is an old-school cartridge, that was the parent of the .44 magnum. It is a great cartridge. And, check in with any old-school shooter, and you'll learn that in spite of their slightly less cost, Charter Arms has turned out some really great, concealed-carry revolvers, for many years. Those with the least experience, are the ones that badmouth Charter Arms, the loudest. And, after owning quite a few different Charter's, I rate them far superior to any Taurus revolver.

WAYNO.