Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Charter Arms 38 Undercover

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by boxer13, Nov 9, 2011.

1. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

I now have in my possession one of these little revolvers.

I need some help determining its value, it was my grandfathers and I don't plan on selling it but I'd like to know if its something that I should baby a lot or not.

Model # is 38221 with a serial # of 217xxx.

I'm really looking for any information on this piece.

Thanks

2. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I don't have a book value on it but they are not real high quality. They are decent shooters but not a collectors item. Suggested new retail is $365 and you can buy them for less.

3. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Shoot it and have fun.

4. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

If you call Charter, they can tell you the manufacture date. Post a pic or list the markings on the gun and I can give you more info.

5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The model #38221 is not a current model. If you were to show a photo or give a better description it could be compared to a current model to get an estimate of value. I just bought a model 73821 (stainless std.) and it was $325.00

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Charter Arms are a lower end brand. Some run perfectly and most don't,from the ones I have seen.
    Most retail right around $300,so no big value there.

But you should baby it and don't shoot heavy loads in it.No P+'s except for CC.Keep it clean.Try all the screws for tight.

But I tell you what.We shot my friends at 100 yards and were hitting what we aimed at pretty easy.I was amazed at the accuracy of a snubby let alone a Charter Arms snubby.

Personally,I would never buy or rely on one. (yes I have had them over the years and sold them shortly afterwards)

7. Hamilton Felix

Hamilton Felix Marblemount, Washington Active Member

From the BlueBook:

.32 S&W (disc. 1989) or .38 Spl. cal., 5 shot in .38 Spl., 6 shot in .32 S&W, 2 (.38 Spl.) or 3 in. barrel, wide trigger and spur hammer, fixed sights, .38 Spl. was also available with pocket hammer. Disc. 1991.

100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $175 $145 $115 $100 $90 $85 $80

If it was stainless, the range would be from $70 to $260.

8. mjbskwim

That's just mean.I wouldn't even say that about a guys GranDad's gun

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WOW my experiance with the Two Charter Arms I have is very different then mentioned here. My Bulldog Pug in .44spl has been an excellent carry piece for the last 20+ years. My new Undercover (stainless std) in .38+P has been amazingly accurate for a 2" barrel. I am quite happy with it and have no regrets over the $350.00 it cost new.

10. Hamilton Felix

Hamilton Felix Marblemount, Washington Active Member

Mean??? I supplied the most current and factual data I could find. How is responding to the request for help in determining value "mean?"

11. mjbskwim

Breath deep and relax.This will enlighten you to sarcasm.