JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just lookin for some opinions on Charles Daly shotguns, specifically the field model, been lookin at pump shotguns for home defense and some general fun. The local Big 5 has them on sale for 199.99, but I'm wondering if it's a waste when there's mossbergs and remingtons to be had for a little more. Thanks for any help

Justin

The last Charles Daly firearms I saw were some 1911's that were put together with Phillipine frames. Functional, but rough. I have no experience with their shotguns, but for the little difference in price you can't go wrong with Mossberg or Remington and there are tons of accessories for them.

I have a CD SP Tactical Shotgun. I've probably got 4-500 rounds of every type of ammo you can imagine through it, without a single issue. Very solid shotgun. Seems to be very little wear on any of the parts when stripped for cleaning also.
I paid $425 out the door for it, and feel it's worth what I paid.

Only a couple of small drawbacks IMHO.

1. Charles Daly went out of business a while back, and I'm not sure who has taken over service for them.

2. Cant buy all the extra goodies you can for a Remington or Mossberg.
In my case that's a good thing. All I need is another gun that I can dump lots of money into:s0114:

If I had it to do again, I'd be very tempted to buy a Rem. or Mossberg. Not because the CD isn't a great gun, but because of the plentiful parts(and a company that is still up and running).

Hope this helps in your decision.

B

I purchased a CD for my mom in December 08. I brought it to her place and told her i had just got it and didn't want to leave it in my truck because i had more Christmas shopping to do. (Yes, i lied to my mom!)

Long story short, she knows its her shotgun. She has shot it, knows how to handle it and is comfortable with it.

I have shot them before and had no problems.

My thinking was, it's a good shotgun and if it doesn't work for her (If she doesn't like it.) I have a grand total of $220.00 into it. Just my $.02.

Lefty.

I purchased a CD for my mom in December 08. I brought it to her place and told her i had just got it and didn't want to leave it in my truck because i had more Christmas shopping to do. (Yes, i lied to my mom!)

Long story short, she knows its her shotgun. She has shot it, knows how to handle it and is comfortable with it.

I have shot them before and had no problems.

My thinking was, it's a good shotgun and if it doesn't work for her (If she doesn't like it.) I have a grand total of $220.00 into it. Just my $.02.

Lefty.

What a great idea! I know just the relatives to try that on.

I owned a CD field grade semi auto for about a year before I sold it off.
I shot it several hundred times.
I never had a lick of trouble with the gun.
I got it for next to nothing, & sold it for a profit.
for $200, I would rather buy a used Rem. 870.
Just my expieriance & opinion. Mike.

Bi-Mart is currently selling the Mossberg 500 with a 28 inch and a 18.5 inch barrels for around $246. I think that this is a great buy! Long barrel for hunting and short barrel for home defense. If I could only convince the other half! Maybe someday!

I bought the exact gun you mentioned from big 5 about 8 months ago. I took it out the next day and ran about 4 boxes of mixed loads bird/buck/slug. the gun had serious issues with ejecting and jamming. Sometimes the action wouldn't reset. I took it back and they exchanged it no prob. A week later I took that gun out and had the exact same issues. I took it back and just got a refund. Cant say that it is the same for all of them but the ones I got were better used to hit an intruder than neutralize them.

Go mossy.

I bought the exact gun you mentioned from big 5 about 8 months ago. I took it out the next day and ran about 4 boxes of mixed loads bird/buck/slug. the gun had serious issues with ejecting and jamming. Sometimes the action wouldn't reset. I took it back and they exchanged it no prob. A week later I took that gun out and had the exact same issues. I took it back and just got a refund. Cant say that it is the same for all of them but the ones I got were better used to hit an intruder than neutralize them.

Go mossy.

Interesting! I know you had this happened 8 months ago. But can you give me any info on the manufacturer of the shells? 4 boxes of mixed loads? (I'm assuming 4 boxes = 100 shells.) Did you have any problems from the start? Was there a particular load that stood out as a problem?

Any info would help.

Thanks, Lefty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews