JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Charging Pit bull shot, killed in Hillsboro
by Justin Burton
Bio | Email| Follow: @KGWNews
kgw.com

Posted on October 8, 2010 at 9:57 PM

HILLSBORO, Ore. -- A Pit bull was shot and killed by a man with a concealed carry permit after he said the dog charged him and attacked his dogs.

Hillsboro Police said that the man and his wife were walking their small dogs in the area of NW Merle Drive & NW Glencoe Road just before 8 p.m. when the Pit bull charged at them and began attacking their dogs. That's when the man pulled out a handgun--which he has a permit to carry--and fired two rounds, killing the dog.

The man and his wife weren't injured, and their dogs weren't seriously injured.

Police said the Pit bull likely got out from its owner's gate, which may have been left open accidentally.

A police spokesman said the shooting and the amount of shots fired seemed reasonable.

"You've got a dog charging at you, and it's a threat right in front of you," said Lt. Mike Rouches. "You could be seriously injured."

The man wasn't cited in the shooting, but Hillsboro Police will forward the case to the Washington Co. District Attorney's Office for further review.

I can't find my old thread, but I recall speaking of this VERY thing, and many of you were against it. I see no problem firing on another dog, especially if it's a pit bull.

People said, "Hey, it's a dog, I'd just kick it." My reasoning is that between the time you would kick it, and perhaps not effectively disengage the attacking dog, it could have killed your dog and/or injured you, when you could have just shot it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big time dog lover, and this would surely break my heart. In this case, it's completely justified.

Honestly, a dog rushing at me and my wife while we are walking our dog concerns me more than a random robbery. I always think about scenario and at what point I would shoot.

we live in a rural area and when we go for a walk we always carry my wife and i . come to think of it i always do anyways . but ive always told my wife that a dog could be just as big of threat as a person

I can't find my old thread, but I recall speaking of this VERY thing, and many of you were against it. I see no problem firing on another dog, especially if it's a pit bull.

People said, "Hey, it's a dog, I'd just kick it." My reasoning is that between the time you would kick it, and perhaps not effectively disengage the attacking dog, it could have killed your dog and/or injured you, when you could have just shot it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big time dog lover, and this would surely break my heart. In this case, it's completely justified.

Yeah, can't argue there.. I don't remember WTH I said in that thread.. But I don't disagree with this guy.. Personally, I'm too soft lol.. I wouldn't recommend people try to kick the dog unless they actually can kick. If you've practiced kicking, it's pretty in-effective unless you've developed it.
Barring something really low to the ground, dog does not count unless it is really small. Would be easy to lose your balance and have the dog tackle you.

I love pits as a breed, have them. I cannt say more than this is a best case senario why dumb people shouldnt have them. thank god no one was hurt and that their small dogs are ok. to often people pussy foot around it, dog/person/vehicle, they can all produce deadly force. use of proper force to safely end a situation, job well done.

btw- two shots on a rapidly moving dog, nice:s0155:

The real world statistics suggest it is prudent to behave very cautiously
where dogs are concerned.

1. Nearly 900,000 peoply a year need medical care for dog bites.

2. Roughly 400,000 people are seriously injured by dog in any given year.

3. Of fatal dog bites, 2/3rds are caused by pit bulls & rottweilers.

4. One person in fifty will be bitten by a dog in any given year.

5. Getting bitten by a dog is the fifth most frequent cause of visits to emergency rooms caused by activities common among children.

So yes be careful with dogs no matter what the owner says.

-sbc

Sources:

Dog Bite Statistics - Attacks, Deaths, and Dangerous Dog Breeds
DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere

I love my golden and haven't hesitated fending off an attacking dog, but there are some legal notes that I feel should be mentioned in this thread. Always always always say you killed or injured a dog because it was going for YOU, NOT YOUR dog. What's the difference? The former is legal while the latter can get you an animal cruelty charge and leave you open to civil suit*. A few states allow you to protect your pet, but most requires your animal to be livestock.

The difference in what you say in the report means a lot.

*Civil suit for a loss of a pet highly depends on state. Most states recover just the costs that went into the animal, but some good-ole-boy dog lovin' Suthun states allow you to collect on emotional damages as well--Awesome.

I owned a pitbull for 15 years. Sweet, gentle dog. They are the "assault weapons" of dogs....misunderstood and inaccurately portrayed by a biased media. I am also a 23 year UPS driver, I deal with thousands of dogs per year, and have yet to encounter a mean pitbull. I am far more concerned about German Shepherds and Chows.

That being said, if I am walking my 2 dogs (poodle and basset hound) and a pitbull comes charging at me, I will blast it and not think twice.

i've come across a handful of mean pits in my life- and i can tell you, it's damn scary to be standing there with nowhere to run as a big *** pit spikes up it's hackles, bares his teeth, and looks at you like you're lunch/hitler at the same time.

I see no problem firing on another dog, especially if it's a pit bull.
Or a Rottweiler because I deal with this daily. In my subdivision we all have one acre lots and my house is close to the rear of my lot and my neighbor behind me has two Rotts that look look like wolf dogs from ****. They 'patrol' my fenceline, bark viciously whenever I am in my yard and appear as if they had the opportunity they would come STRAIGHT FOR ME or my daughter. I have called the sheriff's dept and they told me if I wanted they would send out animal control and they would hang out with me for 15 minutes, follow me around with whatever I am doing and if they deem the animals to be a nuisance they will slap a $250 per dog fine on the owner. I declined that (for now) but about a month ago I came home and saw one of the dogs halfway under my fence digging through. I basically lost my temper and hauled *** down my road turned the corner and cruised up his drive and in no simple terms told the owner he needs to do something NOW as I have been very patient and have put up with this for way too long. Turns out it was digging for a mole as we have them all over but it was on it's way through the fence. These dogs are pushing probably 140 per and are for all intents and purposes present a viable threat and I will not hesitate to dump them if need be and I told the Sheriff that one day and he agreed with me. I think however my message got through to the owner because now whenever he sees me in my yard he call the dogs back away from my fence. I too love animals but i have no regard for obviously dangerous animals, or the owner who will not control them.

Come out of the West Hills for awhile and visit Hillsboro, you may change your tune :)

I spend enough time there, don't make that assumption. I disagree with the term and it's usage. I find it unnecessary and incorrect. It's a cultural issue, not racial. They're perfectly capable, but they probably grew up with low expectations across the board.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top