JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a move that can definitely be considered an all-around win, 14-year-old Jared Marcum, who was suspended and arrested in April over an NRA t-shirt that he wore to school, has had all charges against him dropped. The decision followed massive controversy, including a threat of a gag order.

A local news station reported that the dismissal order signed by Judge Eric O'Briant stated, "The state of West Virginia is not interested in the possibility of creating a juvenile criminal record for this defendant." A statement which has brought Jared's mother, Tanya Lardieri, to tears of joy.

"It should have come sooner but it's done and we don't have to have that concern anymore about him having a criminal record. I'm just glad that it's over. His mother is glad it's over," Jared's father, Allen Lardieri told reporters.

Jared's attorney, Ben White called the decision a win for common sense. And there's no doubt it was a win for the teen and his family as well as both First and Second Amendment rights. White also told reporters that he hopes the outcome will show that the justice system and its integrity are alive and well in Logan, West Virginia.

The ordeal started back in April when Jared wore an NRA t-shirt to school, which pictured an AR-15. When a teacher asked him to either take the shirt off or turn it inside out and he refused, the police then became involved. Jared was arrested and charged with obstructing an officer.

In the months following the incident, the support for Jared has been phenomenal.

"I never thought it would go this far because honestly I don't see a problem with this, there shouldn't be a problem with this," Jared said in April about the t-shirt.

However, even though the charges were dismissed, Jared, his family and his lawyer expect to return to the court house in the very near future, as they plan to file a civil suit against those involved in attempting to strip Jared of his right to wear the shirt.

http://www.guns.com/2013/06/29/charges-dropped-against-teen-for-wearing-nra-t-shirt-video/

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the judge specifically say WHY the state of West Virginia is not interested in the possibility of creating a juvenile criminal record for this defendant?

I'd wager out of fear of a possible public uprising, and NOT because of "common sense".

Did the judge specifically say WHY the state of West Virginia is not interested in the possibility of creating a juvenile criminal record for this defendant?

I'd wager out of fear of a possible public uprising, and NOT because of "common sense".

The judge wasn't about to include any reasons since the parents are intending (justifiably) to sue everyone in sight. He doesn't want to enter anything in the record that might help them.

If I was on the jury, I would consider his ruling to be an open admission of guilt, based on it's lack of reasoning.

When I was a kid, spuds mckenzie bud light shirts were cool. Kids parents had to fight to allow those. During the fight, my mom just used her sewing machine and sewed over the bud light words. Made me legal with god and school. I'm kind of shocked West Virginia would fight against a NRA shirt. I would think they would print those things.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top