JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should shooting auto thieves be considered justified?

• Yes

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I sure miss living in TX. In that bastion of civilized conduct it is legal to shoot a thief on your property after dark without regard to the value of the property being stolen, be it a broken screwdriver or a greasy shop rag.
During our residency there one Texan shot 2 professional scumbags who were in the process of burglarizing his neighbor's home (neighbor gone on vacation) while he was on the phone with LE. The 911 dispatcher told him it wasn't necessary for him to go outside with his fowling piece and deal with them, but he did anyway. Long story short, he treated them both to a dirt nap while the whole incident was recorded. Grand Jury no-billed. Naturally, since the Orcs were illegal immigrants and people of color the usual menagerie of professional poverty pimps and race baiters rent their garments and wailed over the injustice of these upstanding victims of poverty and racism being deprived of their rights to call a lawyer and walk on bail.
That said, as a practical matter I would not shoot to protect property in WA State but IMHO it sure ought to be legal.

How would you know any of this prior to the shooting unless you recoignized the guy? In which case you should be able to positively identify him for police and have the situation resolved, correct?

With the precautions i take to keep people off my property i could care less about recognizing the guy.... I am not here to ID some bad guy, if he is on my property he is up to no good. My outlook is the same as Grommit327. Sorry if it is too harsh for you but its MY property that i spent MY time and energy working for. That is something that i do to benefit my family and my kids, i am not here to waste time or spend time "helping the police catch a bad guy". They can check his wallet and haul him out in a bag.

well they better steal yours Suge, if you want to hand your keys over and tell em its ok its insured, that is your choice. My choice is to make sure that i hang onto whatever i acquire. When i spend a years wages on a car then i will do whatever i need to to hang onto it..... ITS MY PROPERTY, it is not up to me to think, is it worth taking this guys life for MY PROPERTY it is up to the PROWLER, LOW LIFE, SCUMBAG, POS, CROOK, to ask, is it worth my SCUMBAG life to attempt to take something that isnt mine from someone thats gonna shoot me to keep it.

If you let them steal your car they will be back to steal something else, they will come back and burglarize your home when you are gone, then one of those times they think you are gone your 13 or 15 year old kid might be home alone and you might have had the chance to stop something really bad from happening way back when you could have shot him for stealing "just a car".

2 Sixteen states have adopted "Stand Your Ground" laws that allow an individual to use deadly force to protect a residence, place of business, vehicle or other property, so far Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, South Carolina, South Dakota, Virginia and Washington have enacted statutes.
The law states that an individual in self-defense "has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force,it also forbids the arrest, detention or prosecution of the shooters covered by the law, and it prohibits civil suits against them..

well they better steal yours Suge, if you want to hand your keys over and tell em its ok its insured, that is your choice. My choice is to make sure that i hang onto whatever i acquire. When i spend a years wages on a car then i will do whatever i need to to hang onto it..... ITS MY PROPERTY, it is not up to me to think, is it worth taking this guys life for MY PROPERTY it is up to the PROWLER, LOW LIFE, SCUMBAG, POS, CROOK, to ask, is it worth my SCUMBAG life to attempt to take something that isnt mine from someone thats gonna shoot me to keep it.

we all have to pick our battles, man. for me, I'm moving on the next day with my life. it helps that replacing a car is just an annoyance and not too bad of financial hit. good luck in court should you ever have to back up your claims here. your argument that if you don't kill them they'll keep victimizing you is pretty silly.

I grew up in rural and live in rural. The idea of being hit multiple times by the same thieves is actually not as "silly" as you think. It is very common. For me, if they try to steal my car, they wont get past the front gate with it anyways. Just to get on my property means they killed my dogs which to me means they are a threat greater than just a car thief. ANYONE on my property without permission, if they dont get eaten first is there to harm my family. I am not going to go out and start quizzing the guy, are you JUST a car thief? are you here to do a level 3 crime or a level 5 crime? because if its level 3 i will go cower in my house and call the cops..... you probably have 30 minutes so take your time.... if its level 5 i'm gonna have to shoot you.... Deciding on whether or not you have to shoot someone is based on assumptions, not facts. My assumption is anyone on my property is there for the worst, if they want to live they can sprawl out on the ground as quick as possible and beg for me to call the cops.

Everyone wants to sit here and armchair quarterback,,,, "oh i'm better than that guy" "i wouldnt have shot him" you dont know what he was thinking or what he was assuming.... What you think about the situation or the facts is irrelevant, what you THINK you might do in the same situation is only relevant to YOU.

2 Sixteen states have adopted "Stand Your Ground" laws that allow an individual to use deadly force to protect a residence, place of business, vehicle or other property, so far Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, South Carolina, South Dakota, Virginia and Washington have enacted statutes.
The law states that an individual in self-defense "has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force,it also forbids the arrest, detention or prosecution of the shooters covered by the law, and it prohibits civil suits against them..

If you honestly think that the aforementioned incident in Spokane applies to "stand your ground" laws you are sadly mistaken.

For those of you who want to shoot someone who is stealing your car. Yes, if you kill the guy you will still have that car. Right up until you have to sell it and much of everything else you own to pay a lawyer.

It sucks, but it is literally a lose/lose for the property owner. Bottom line, have good insurance and only shoot to protect what can't be replaced, because otherwise you are going to lose it anyway, and maybe your freedom as well.

For those that think it (the vehicle) is a replicable, think of getting to your job, getting your kids to school that day, getting to the place you need to pay the bill on time or something life chaining will happen, think of the extra money you don't have that you will have to pay when you have to rent a car or taxi. And those that have to where it wouldn't effect you think of those that don't have the money and all these things will effect them in a major way. Then think of if you were able to prove that this guy was threating your life (way of life) and take him out so that he could not ruin the life you are living.

This is a personal choice, most things in life are and you have to live and die with the outcome. I personally fit in the category of being able to let the scumbag go but if I do he will know he can get away with it and will be back after the dust has settled. I as a morally right individual could not let this happen, even if I had to engage him physically (wrestle the car back from him) to the point I can prove he is now threating my life I could not sit back and just do nothing, as some of you imply you should do.

For me it would really depend on the situation what I would do.

The real simple point of all this is that the choice of the criminal is what CAUSED all of this. His and ONLY his actions are responsible for the situation. On of the risks of crime is getting shot..............

Go wrestle some teenage gang member or meth addict for your car if you feel the need. Have at it.

Being a ex-bodybuilder, and current boxer, I would take my chances until I feel I am taking a chance with my life in that case you can use your imagination in what would happen to them next.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top