JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
as the title states I'm looking to upgrade to an automatic powder dispenser for plinking ammo (I'd be using a trickier for precision loads.) what is better the Hornady lock n load auto charge or the RCBS charge master. Pros and cons for both?

Everything I have ever owned made by Hornady has let me down with exception of the stuff that was designed by Stoney Point. No experience with the powder dispenser but my rcbs works great and I hear even better things about the chargemaster lite.

if I did it again, I'd probably go with the RCBS but the price was right for the Hornady so I bought it.

Why? No reason other than a different one to use.

I have an older chargemaster and it flat out sucks. In fact, I cannot remember ever getting consistent throws out of it.
Part of the benefit of reloading is relaxing, and the Chargemaster, with all it's finicky-ness and sloppy feed sucked the life out of it.
Mind you, mine is the older type where the feeder and scale are separate. I suspect that RCBS has improved their software with the newer design.
Bought a Hornady when it was on sale at Cabelas, $159 OTD. Going on 4 years trouble free with many thousands of rounds loaded.
I really like that I can tweak all the parameters of the feed, as long kernel like Retumbo feed very differently than short cut stick or round.

Around the holidays RCBS has a "buy green, get green" $100 off $299.99. great deal at $200 bucks and one of my most favorite reloading upgrades.

I have the powder drop that comes with Hornady's Lock N Load press.

Consistent to .2 grain(normally will not vary more than .1) through 1400 or so rounds of 9mm.

No experience with the RCBS one.

I use the hornandy electronic powder measure and shoot a lot of long distance stuff.
It works ok once you make a straw insert for it and get to know it.

I check it often against a reliable beam scale and it's stays within a tenth.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top