JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure what it is, and it might be the fact that I live in the belly of the beast, downtown Portland. Has anyone else noticed a distinct correlation between good character and a liking of country music? Or maybe the opposite, questionable character and a dislike of country music?

Not saying this is concrete, just an observation based on personal experience...

I hate pop country but I love old school JC, Hank jr, Waylon, Willie etc. I also like cetrain artists from nearly every other genre of music. But as far as character goes I call Bull. I would imagine that the same percentage of CM fans are scumbags as most other types of music.

I'd have to say that I can believe this to be true to a certain extent. Most of the people I know that listen to the "oldies" station have similar values.

I haven't seen that being the case; at my work it seems that some of the most loathsome and difficult-to-work-with individuals are country music fans (though they tend to dislike old school country and instead favor the Toby Keith variation). But on the whole, I think it's impossible to infer much about one's character based on what genre of music they prefer; unless of course they're a juggalo in which case it's probably ok to assume they're of poor character and sub-par intellect.

I'm not sure what it is, and it might be the fact that I live in the belly of the beast, downtown Portland. Has anyone else noticed a distinct correlation between good character and a liking of country music? Or maybe the opposite, questionable character and a dislike of country music?

Not saying this is concrete, just an observation based on personal experience...

Uh-oh....I can't stand what is currently defined as country music. In my opinion it is over produced pop with a fiddle. It's pretty bad when the best lap steel guitar work I've heard recently was on the new Jack White album. Now older country, the more folky and traditional stuff if fine by me. I can stand it and enjoy it for a time, but you won't find me listening to it for hours on end. It makes sense, I don't like pop in general, so why would I like country pop?

Country music and western music should be two different classes of music... In Western there is western swing, honky tonk, western jazz (a la Willie Nelson), and so on....Cajun music gets lumped in there all to often, when it really should be classed as an ethnic music genre.

Then with Jazz, there is string jazz, swing, big band jazz, brass, Bebop, fusion, rock jazz...

Your premise that C&W fans are by and large more polite and all is flawed. It's one of those "post hoc ergo propter hoc" things....Some fans might be, some fans might not be, but to make a conclusion would be impossible...

Owning a Scout will do that to ya Joe. ;)

Nothing like real people, real music, (about real life) and a real truck!

Naysayers flame on.
It won't change a thing.

As long as it ain't rap, I can stomach most anything,,, for a few verses. Now cross country with rap and what you get? Crap. I like some old school country, and the same can be said for western, there is, or used to be a difference. I consider Rascal flats to be the Backstreet boyz of CW, and could really do with out em. Hey Joe, check out the band "Black berry smoke", a little known band out of Atlanta. They had a tune on the movie swing vote. Now that's a down south country rock band that puts it all together!

Character, that's what my wife calls me at times,, among a bunch of other stuff. But I can agree that I would trust a bunch of good ol' boy country western listening rednecks a lot farther than I would some hardcore thrash metal punks, or gangbanga rapcrap driven fools.
Yep I know, that's stereo typing, but I really tried to only type this with one hand so that it would read back in mono;)

I have noticed that most country western listeners are overly judgmental and hypocritical while at the same time being delusionally self aggrandizing.

Modern "country" music = 70's pop rock with a plug of dip in the lip.

I enjoy all well made music from Bach to Bluegrass. As a guitarist, I appreciate country because so many amazing world class musicians and songwriters are riding the wave of the lucrative C&W industry right now. Like it or hate it, Nashville product is manufactured using the best materials and workmanship money can buy.

Further, popular twangy themes feature gravel roads, nubile teen girls in cutoff jeans, work, faith, drinking, cheating and an epic *ss-whuppin' or two. Arguably, some lessons might be found therein about "character," good and bad.

Compare that to a significant segment of an equally commercial spectacle - rhythmic shouting lacking any melody, glorifying a lifestyle of violent crime in the hood, selling drugs to finance bling, beating up women and ambushing anyone in opposition.

As obnoxious as many people find country music, it seems to appeal more to those (of all walks) who detest that other foolishness.

I like old time country music. It was required at my old school when I took this exam:

University of Arkansas Engineering Exam

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will support a 10-pound possum.
2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed on blocks in your front yard? 66 Ford Fairlane, 69 Chevrolet Chevelle, 64 Pontiac GTO
3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to condense the product?
4. A pulpwood cutter has a chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweiser Tallboys will it take to cut the trees?
5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of Freon R-12 simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?
6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1-inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?
7. A man owns an Arkansas house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children place a mobile home on the man's land?
8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the average traffic loading of secondary roads, what are the chances that it will strike a vehicle that has a muffler?
9. A coalmine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked during the shift?
10. At a reduction in gene pool variability rate of 7.5% per generation, how long will it take a town that has been bypassed by the interstate to breed a country-western singer?

In general I like (quite) aggressive "metal like" music. I'm clean-cut, clean-shaven (sometimes I sport a gotee), well read, well behaved, respectful (although I frequently bust chops around here... LOL), and highly skilled/educated in my field of work, believe in God...

If I found a bag of $1,000,000.00 in cash out back in an alley "free and clear".... Well, I'd dream for a couple of minutes, then turn it in. (Seriously) :)

Oh yeah... DEATH TO (C)RAP MUSIC!

I've never encountered as much judgement, hatred and bigotry among music fans as I have from people who primarily listen to country music.

I see a truck with a Dixie flag and a KUPL or WOLF sticker and I'm just as likely to steer clear as a thug in a Monte Carlo blasting pop rap through cheap sub-woofers.

Play a good country song backwards and your truck starts running, your dog comes back home, your girlfriend swears she's coming back on the next train running, and your beer don't taste like salty tears anymore!
And last but not least, you become sober.

BTW if you ever find yourself in Vic's Tavern in LaPine on a Saturday night, and happen to catch the guy doing David Allen Coe songs Karaoke, say hi when I am finished and buy me a beer!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top