JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm old and cold sucks. I'm adding med. weight jackets to the GHB's I keep in our cars but was planning on keeping the rest of it the same. But I just woke up to the wide world of prep early this summer so... any suggestions on cold weather GHB/BoB?

Last Edited:
I toss a jacket in the trunk... Althought Ive been thinking of putting a pair of my outdoor boots in as well, I dont think the sneakers will hold up well in the wet.

Iv also been thinking of adding some cheap thermal base layer stuff to the bags. Its light weight and a life saver in the cold.... But like most things I forget it all the second I walk into the store.

My cars always have a jacket, light one in summer, heavy one in winter, but since you asked about BOB's/GHB's: I keep gloves, hat, wool sock in winter, lose them in summer. I don't keep a jacket as they way I think about it, I'm going to be moving, I'm not as worried about full body coverage here in the Valley/PDX Metro Area.

I add heavier coats to the truck kit in the winter, but gloves, hat, and fleece neck gaiter are always in the kit. I don't know about what weather does where you live, but in Central Oregon, it can get awfully cold at night, even in the middle of summer. Winter is that time of year where bugging in, not bugging out, really hits home. Unless I'm truly forced, there's no way I'm leaving my home with two feet of snow on the ground.

But definitely check your get home bags for each season. I tend to overhaul my bags at least every six months or so anyway. Things change quickly. Sometimes I have better equipment to add, or equipment that I had heard about but not added yet. Try to make a schedule to check your bags and stick to it. Just make it habit.

I add heavier coats to the truck kit in the winter, but gloves, hat, and fleece neck gaiter are always in the kit. I don't know about what weather does where you live, but in Central Oregon, it can get awfully cold at night, even in the middle of summer. Winter is that time of year where bugging in, not bugging out, really hits home. Unless I'm truly forced, there's no way I'm leaving my home with two feet of snow on the ground.

But definitely check your get home bags for each season. I tend to overhaul my bags at least every six months or so anyway. Things change quickly. Sometimes I have better equipment to add, or equipment that I had heard about but not added yet. Try to make a schedule to check your bags and stick to it. Just make it habit.

Good advice, thanks MB.

-d

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews