JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Mossberg 500 20 ga that does not fit me very well. When the gun is in it's natural shouldering location, my line of sight is far too high. The mid pin appears about 1/4" lower than the front pin. As I understand it, this is partly length of pull as well as comb height. In any case I learned real quick that jamming my face lower was not a good idea! It's an interesting feeling having shotgun recoil jar your head. :p

What can I do to fix this? There are not many stock options for Mossberg 500's, especiall in 20 gauge. My guess is either make a new stock or deal with it. In a quick 10 minute search I haven't come across any products to lengthen pull (slip on covers are not acceptable for me). Until it's longer I can't tell if that will be enough to make me happy, or if it will be too long to shoot well.

Go to a good stock fitter and have them build you a stock that fits you. But that's gonna cost you more than your mossberg is worth. Or sell it and buy something that fits you better.
Just my .02

Jack

Go to a good stock fitter and have them build you a stock that fits you. But that's gonna cost you more than your mossberg is worth. Or sell it and buy something that fits you better.
Just my .02
+1
Another option would be to talk to someone about a soft touch recoil reducer which could add to the length of pull. Again this will cost about as much as your gun is worth but if that solves the problem and allow you to hit your target it is money well spent. Just because a gun costs more does not mean it will work better. I have a couple friends take there gun to Shooter's Emporium http://shootersemporium.net/ so try them out.

WOW those are some spendy stocks!! Definitely not worthy of a lowly Mossberg 500. :p

Agreed, it's not worth the money to make this gun work for me. I'll keep looking for some spacers or an extra thick recoil pad. I think that will get it close enough to keep me happy with my cheap shotgun. Or... I may use this as an excuse to try my hand at carving a stock for it.

Appreciate the info guys. If anyone has a link to spacers let me know.

Mossberg makes angled shims that go between the stock and the reciever.

<broken link removed>

Making a spacer that fits between the buttpad and the stock is fairly easy. Choose a material and thickness and trace the buttpad onto it. Cut, grind, sand or however, shape the spacer to fit.

There are also a number of adjustable buttplates out there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top