JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When you modify an sks to accept a detachable mag is it possible to change it back to a fixed mag? I just recently bought a norinco sks and Im wondering if this is possible since it was previously modified and I've heard there can be feeding issues with detachable mags.
thanks for any knowledge.

justification

When you modify an sks to accept a detachable mag is it possible to change it back to a fixed mag? I just recently bought a norinco sks and Im wondering if this is possible since it was previously modified and I've heard there can be feeding issues with detachable mags.
thanks for any knowledge.

justification

are you sure it was modified some norincos came from the factory with the ability to accept ak mags these are work considerably more than standard ones

if it was converted to use the Duck bill sks mags its really not a coversion someone removed the fixed hinged mag and installed a detachable in which case you would just need to find a removed fixed mag and reinstall it

now if some one took a sks and converted it to use ak mags well it depends on what they did to it to make it so.

The feeding issues are with the detachable metal (usually 30rd) mags. The Tapco 20rd ones work great, there are some mods to the bolt and feed ramp to do to make them work better though.

Swapping back to a 10rd fixed is easy. The hardest part is getting the trigger group out. If you have trouble with that PM me for some suggestions. Do make sure your putting in a norinco mag, they aren't hard to find.

Eldbillbo is right about the AK mags (SKS-M) or others modified. If you have one of these, pat yourself on the back and don't mess with it.

But if its the 'Duckbill' sks mag either swap to Tapco mags or put an original back in.

I think I'll just be putting the original back in, the mag well on the bottom though is just wood, what i mean is when you slip the duckbill mag in it's contacting nothing but wood on the sides of the mag well. Is this a normal way to go about converting to a duckbill? Or would this make it a problem for me putting the fixed mag back in?

If it is a duckbill, throw it in the scrap pile and re-install the original. Then get yourself some stripper clips. They're faster with practice anyway.

I can usually go through 60 rounds faster with strippers than my buddy with 2 thirty round mags. Unless it's designed to accept AK mags, then you really have something there.

Just my two cents.

That is normal for the detachable mag.
It is actually engaging a catch on the front (on the bottom of where the receiver-barrel meet) before you attach the back via the mag release. The wood has nothing to do with keeping the mags on. its all attached to the receiver.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

Here is how to put it back on. There normally wouldn't have been any modifications to get the detachable mag on in the first place so you should have no trouble getting it back to the way Simonov intended.

When you do have the receiver cover off check for the position of the Sear Engagement, (cock the gun then gently take off the receiver cover and remove the spring before watching the hammer as you pull the trigger) so if its negative or neutral you can decide if you want to get that fixed too.

great link and help generator, and thanks to everyone else for the advice! detachable mags on an sks just seem to be to big of an alteration to the gun for them to be reliable enough.

SKS is a great gun as designed. I've owned quite a few of them. Usually I get them cheap from someone that's changed the mag and can't get it to run reliably.

Unless it's one of the desireable ones designed to take AK mags, leave it alone. Even the factory mag is hand fitted per gun. The only mod that I like is to install a Chinese 20rd mag, and even then it's not an easy chore to get it right. Each must be fitted to the gun.

Hopefully, you have the original mag. If so, put it in and enjoy the reliability of a great gun. ;)

I don't think there's anything too great about the Norinco SKS rifles designed to accept AK mags. It's a heck of a cool concept, but I've shot one of those things, and while functional, it seemed really shoddily made. Maybe it was a bad specimen, or it's experienced excessive wear, but the whole mag well and mag catch appeared to made of some extremely pliable steel, so much so, that you feel like you're deforming the metal while struggling to get the mag seated properly. I can safely say that isn't typical "commie quality" as I've fired a number of AK variants, and own a Saiga (which technically isn't a commie gun at all, I suppose) and they don't suffer from that same problem.

The more typical SKS, with its standard 10-rd mag is a pretty sweet rifle however. I definitely think it's a great idea to switch back.

well the deed is done, a fellow forum member was kind enough to ship me a fixed 10 rnd. mag for free (one of the reason's this site is so great!). I refinished the stalk on it and now it's lookin real sharp. Now all thats left is to shoot the darn thing. Thanks again for all the help!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top