JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Please share what you see as the mostly likely challenges in Bugging Out. I'm not looking for a debate about bugging out vs buggin in; but just want everyone's thoughts on most likely challenges--or things to be ready for--in the event of bugging out becomes necessary.
thanks

I think if your bugging out in a car a lot could wrong. One-if you leave after the rioting or whatever starts, roads could be blocked by police/criminals/abandon cars. Two-your planned routes are not open now/friendly. Three-people see you driving and want your vehicle and whats in it.

Thats a few things I see, hope that helps.

Other vehicles blocking your path. Out of fuel, abandoned, or a huge volume of traffic.

Attempts to hijack your vehicle. Blockade, or people shooting at you.

Road failures. Earthquake causes a bridge or elevated roadway to collapse, or causes a landslide.

Peter

Basics: food, shelter, WATER, security, fuel, destination, support (means other people to help), vehicle, tires, ammo, body armor, mind set (probably the most important item).
The situation must dictate your response, you can prepare but you need to be flexable. Bug out means traveling from point a to b, do you have a b?
Simple injuries, blister, cut, tooth ache, filling problems (teeth and their care was one of the single biggest problems facing older people in the past), medication, toilet paper, simple hygene can devastate you and your group.
Time, do you know how long you will take to get to point b? Do you have alternate routes? Are you prepared to go on foot?
Rally point for your loved ones: Where will you meet up? Do you have rally points a, b, and c? Communications, can you reach your other people?
A simple injury, twisted ankle, cut, burn or blister can be more devastating than getting shot. If you need help it means others must sacrifice their safety to support you.
Thoughts

Jim

Timing will be the key to bugging out.
For your family's sake,you need to be a fortune teller.
You will,most definitely need a destination.You will not survive out in the woods or trying to stake a claim in the outback.
The people that live there won't want you................unless
You have been there before and bought land,a destination.
You will want goods there and not try to haul them with you.Less to get robbed for,get stolen from you.
Maybe have a second POS car outside the city for a back up? In case you end up on foot
I asked about pulling a trailer,all set up as a bug out trailer.So you could come home from work,hook up and leave with your goods
Maybe this would or wouldn't slow you down.Maybe you have this at a storage yard out of town.

The main problems will be what the others have stated.Hence leaving for a vacation when it starts to look bad.
News looks bad? You make a test run.Things quiet down? Go back home.

Really what's more important,taking your family to see a dying aunt,(wink,wink) or keeping your job and never getting out of town?
I don't have anyone to answer to so my "get out of town " excuses may be lame

My main bug out scenario is for a Tsunami here on the coast. I see the biggest challenge being crossing rivers if bridges are out from earthquakes or blocked by traffic. Several possible solutions including a mid size raft, or possibly rope assisted fording at certain locations.

IMHO, if you do not bug out at the first sign of trouble, chances are you will get caught up in the mess, you might want to wait say 30 days then go, but if you live near or in a city you better be prepared for anything from neighbors wanting your goods, to officials, or desperate thugs.

Anyway you look at it, it os going to take some planning, either to move now, bug out or stay put.

Biggest problems I see,

Security / safety you will need people to help you stay safe while on the road, who are not afraid and will not hesitaate to shoot to kill at the first sign of trouble, someone to watch your back while pee, poop, refuel whatever

Where are you going ot get fuel?

Where are you going to sleep and who is going to pull security while you sleep?

Do you have the vehicle and equipment to bug out with?

Where you going to go and are you going to be welcome when you get there?

WHat you going to eat on the way and when you get there?

Main challenges I see...

#1) First of all is the commute itself. You will need enough fuel and provisions to get to where you are going...this isn't as cut and dry as you might think. Depending on the actual emergency, you may not even be able to use most of the roads (i.e. Freeways/Highways) and your travel may probably be limited to back roads and rural paralels. Since this route itself is not a direct route and you may have to travel vicariously from point to point- we're talking about a lot more time and fuel to get from A to B than during normal times. You will also most deffinately need something that has 4x4 capability with decent clearance...if you think for a second that you can get to a bug out spot with a Prius you are sadly mistaken. One semi-truck on it's side or a pathway full of cars with empty gas tanks will put your commute to a stop immediately.

#2) Security is an issue. Anyone that does security for a living will tell you that being in a vehicle and trying to provide security is a nightmare. Unless you upgrade your vehicle with some bullet proofing, you must realize that those things are just a tin can with wheels. A truck/SUV with gasoline cans all around them is an invite to looters as it is. Even the book Patriots touches up on this subject as many of the members are in a compromised situation while attempting to fuel their vehicle(s) on the side of the road(s). Someone, undoubtably, has to be pulling security...otherwise my suggestion is to pull off any major roads to not be subjected to a raider.

#3) Squatters. So you finally get to where you are going. You push through raiders, use up all your fuel and most of your on hand provisions (or they had to get left behind due to limited space), you're exhasted from driving for days in condition RED just to find that someone else is at your retreat or your provisions have been taken or destroyed due to an unforseen event. Now what? You better have a back up plan, otherwise you may have just created a bigger emergency for yourself than if you stayed put.

These are just a few of the many things that can go wrong while bugging out...hence why it is always a better plan to be "bugged in" at a location than to try to retreat to it.

Nevertheless, my plan is to "bug out" since I still live in town...but such is life. Just try to have multiple plans and provisions. Redundancy is the key here. If something brakes or fails you must move on with the second plan.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without
-Boyd Packer

Bug out by road = impossible.
Why?
1. Consider how crowded roads are on holidays and rush hour. Multiply that by 100.
2. Vehicles will crash due to panic, running out of gas, breaking down, flat tires, etc which will clog the road. I've seen one semi wreck stop all traffic on I-5 for 4 hours because it crossed lanes.
3. Emergency and police vehicles will be everywhere clogging the flow of traffic and/or shutting down roads.
4. Ever try to cross Mt. Hood on a busy ski season weekend? Now figure in all of the above.
5. What about the well armed driver that broke down and wants your vehicle to "save his family"?
6. When things get worse, the gangs will set up intentional road blocks to take what you have.
7. What's the answer? Be the first one out? Ya...right. # 1-5 above will occur within the first hour.
I've given this some serious thought since I travel over Mt. Hood and on I-5 often. The only way that I can see it happening in real life is by plane, helicopter or boat (if you live near a suitable river). None of which are available to me.

You bring up an interesting point about the River, as that's about 15 minutes from me by vehicle, however, it's flowing the wrong direction (toward the Sea), and I would want to head East or South, considering if there was Earthquakes or Tsunami, or more likely both, either of which would make the river unmanageable. However, if you had a power boat, fueled up and stocked with supplies, that would be a potential escape, especially if you could get to it before organized marauders start to formulate.

The main challenge in bugging out is that you will be seen, and treated, as a terrorist. The gov wants you dependent, starving, and huddling in your home waiting for the next emergency broadcast.

As someone who is roaming around with a backpack will be targeted and dealt with appropriately.

To build on skydiver's observations...

An aircraft or helicopter has a relatively small "useful load". This is the total amount of weight that it can carry, and usually includes fuel. Moreover, there is a finite amount of physical space. Sure there are larger aircraft out there, but many private pilots are typically capable of flying an aircraft with 4-6 seats.

If the world went to *bubblegum* I suppose I could personally steal an aircraft (that I was type-rated for and comfortable piloting) and fly the family to somewhere. I wouldn't be comfortable stealing it. I would also be landing somewhere with no plan, minimal or no supplies, and no real idea about what was happening there.

Peter (also a private pilot)

c4e59dc6.jpg
1fb9db74.jpg
cce74e72.jpg
1a3a271c.jpg

If a picture is worth a thousand words....

Bug out by road = impossible.
Why?
1. Consider how crowded roads are on holidays and rush hour. Multiply that by 100.
2. Vehicles will crash due to panic, running out of gas, breaking down, flat tires, etc which will clog the road. I've seen one semi wreck stop all traffic on I-5 for 4 hours because it crossed lanes.
3. Emergency and police vehicles will be everywhere clogging the flow of traffic and/or shutting down roads.
4. Ever try to cross Mt. Hood on a busy ski season weekend? Now figure in all of the above.
5. What about the well armed driver that broke down and wants your vehicle to "save his family"?
6. When things get worse, the gangs will set up intentional road blocks to take what you have.
7. What's the answer? Be the first one out? Ya...right. # 1-5 above will occur within the first hour.
I've given this some serious thought since I travel over Mt. Hood and on I-5 often. The only way that I can see it happening in real life is by plane, helicopter or boat (if you live near a suitable river). None of which are available to me.

This is why I say to look ahead.Plan to leave as soon as the news just hints of a problem,close by.
Just make the practice run.Lock the house down,get your bug out gear arranged and loaded/hooked up,do what you feel necessary with moneys,and head out!

OK,so that wasn't so bad.Didn't get as close as we thought.
Head back home.You made that trip work.

You wait for all SHTF to break out and yeah,you not going anywhere.

for people living along the coast one problem I see that I don't think there is an answer too is that when the sirens go off and you decide to get on the one road in, or out, of town and some old geezer pulls out in front of you in his Winnebago and takes it up to 28mph and just cruises along. You guys had better have surf boards on the roof of your cars.

There are several ways over Mt Hood that don't involve Hwy 26. They are not ideal, but if 400,000 settlers in wagons could make it, so can I. My plan: avoid anywhere that other people might think to go. I've spent 20 years exploring the Oregon Cascades, and I know of hundreds of remote places with fresh water & mostly-reliable food sources accessible by 4WD or a short hike. I'll go to whichever of them doesn't have people in my way, hope I've got a few weeks before winter starts, and bunker down. If I don't make it there, I'll get by as well as I can wherever I'm at with whoever's around.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top