JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I'm wanting to change up my setup a little bit and think I'm on the correct path. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me yay or nay.

My current setup is a Stihl 026 (stock with no modifications) with a 3/8 pitch drive sprocket, .050 gauge, 72 drive links chain on a 20 inch bar.

I want to do the following and want to know if this is all I need to do for it to work. I was also thinking a 16 inch bar setup, but think an 18 inch is a good compromise. Thoughts on that are welcome as well. I'm a homeowner, not a logger. Some firewood bucking and depending on mother nature, windstorm cleanup are my needs.

Proposed new parts for new setup:
.325 drive sprocket.
Oregon Pro-Lite bar/chain combo 18 inch bar, which is listed as having the following .063 gauge, .325 pitch and 74 drive links.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

Ok, I'm wanting to change up my setup a little bit and think I'm on the correct path. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me yay or nay.

My current setup is a Stihl 026 (stock with no modifications) with a 3/8 pitch drive sprocket, .050 gauge, 72 drive links chain on a 20 inch bar.

I want to do the following and want to know if this is all I need to do for it to work. I was also thinking a 16 inch bar setup, but think an 18 inch is a good compromise. Thoughts on that are welcome as well. I'm a homeowner, not a logger. Some firewood bucking and depending on mother nature, windstorm cleanup are my needs.

Proposed new parts for new setup:
.325 drive sprocket.
Oregon Pro-Lite bar/chain combo 18 inch bar, which is listed as having the following .063 gauge, .325 pitch and 74 drive links.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

I don't think you are going to notice much difference between a 20 inch and an 18 inch bar.

I have a Stihl 461 with a 30" bar/chain, and while that works well for large logs and stumps, it is entirely too long for most firewood and hardwood trees. So I got - IIRC - a 20 inch bar/chain, or maybe a bit longer and it works okay for firewood - I think I could go shorter yet. I need a lighter saw too - although the 461 is necessary for some tasks, including bucking up fallen trees; I have some trees that are 2 to 4+ foot in diameter. I don't fall large trees - I leave that to the pros, and besides, they pay me for the trees.

So I suggest you get a 16" if you are looking to go shorter, then you can switch back and forth as you see fit.

I have the same 461 and have 18", 24" and 36" bars for it. Works fine. Plenty of power. I also have one of Stihl pole saw units with hedge trimmer attachment and love it. Makes real short work of pruning down my "native" landscaping I thought was the way to go about 10 years ago.

I was in the commercial equipment business and most of the stock designs have plenty of built in and unrated power abilities. I know a lot of people like to jack things up, I do any way as far as my Ford V8's in the Mustang and pickup, but most of that smaller stuff I leave alone.

In my family we have a few saws, Dad has a MS250 (close to your 026) and I have a MS270 and 460magnum, now both the 250 and 270 run the stock bars, 18 and 20in respectively and then both have the .325 chains on them from the factory, I would highly suggest if you are not just going to get rid of the 20in bar, that you get another 3/8 bar and chain combo, that way you can switch if you need to, or maybe you bend a bar or something.. either way, its not hard to change the sprockets over.. but if you dont have to.. why?

I have been thinking about getting a 20in bar for my 460mag as it has a 28 on it right now and its a bit big unless your chopping the trunks of trees.

Highly suggest
Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

or find a local stihl dealer and bring it in to them and say you want a new bar, 2x chains and the sprocket changed over.

As long as the pitch number of the chain drive doesn't change, you can fit any of the recommended bar and chain lengths to your Stihl and be G.T.G. Oregon makes Bar/Chain sets for all the popular saws so all you need to do is pick the bar length you want and bolt it to your saw!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top