Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Chainsaw chain sharpening

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oregonhunter5, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Never sharpened one. Guy at the shop says we do it for 10.00
    Well it sucked. All dust no chips first time using.
    Any ideas on this subject?

2. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me. Its because I put the chain on backwards. Its an easy mistake to make.

3. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

I checked that. All good there.

4. soberups

If you own a Dremel there is an attachment you can buy that is specifically for sharpening saw chains. I have seen one being used, it looks pretty easy. I don't use my saw enough to justify it myself, I own 3 chains and when one gets dull I just pay the $9 to have it done.

Dyjital likes this.
  5. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

So he "sharpened" it and it doesn't cut?

6. misterarman

misterarman Vancouver,Wa. USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Pay the guy at the saw shop to do it before you ruin your chain and have to buy a new one.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  7. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Just get a file guide and do it yourself. Same number of strokes on each tooth. Watch your angles and depth gage as the chain gets sharpened over time. You will get the hang of it before long if you use the saw much. After a while you won't even need the guide.
    Be sure to use the right size file for the chain.
    When filing you might change the number of strokes from one side to the other. Main thing is to take the approx. same amount off each tooth and visually keep them close. It is practice. So number of file passes may vary. It really isn't rocket science, it is just observing the angles and pitches. The file guide will help you learn that.
    Also don't wait til it is dull to touch up the chain. Do it every time you refuel.
    This guy explains it well.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    CoastRange57, RLS, Sgt Nambu and 10 others like this.
  8. donaldc

donaldc Seattle Active Member

Pick up a Silvey SDM-4. My buddy has one and sharpened my chain with it. The chain was razor sharp, I think it was even better than the saw shop.

9. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I use this
    http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-32-Inc..._sim_86_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=00EPYS5V8R56HAFCGNAW
    There are two sizes 5/32 and 7/32. whatever your chain requires
    I dismount the chain and bar, clean and oil, grease the chain tip sprocket.
    Clean motor housing and air filter. I use compressed air.
    Re-mount bar and chain to the motor.
    Clamp bar in bench vice so bar is horizontal
    The most rigid part of the chain and bar is near the motor.
    Sharpen all the teeth facing one side.
    Unclamp the bar, reclamp the bar so the motor is on the opposite side
    Then sharpen all the dull teeth on the opposite side.
    I push the file from the inside of the tooth to the outside, at the same horizontal and vertical angle as was cut at the factory.
    Notice the teeth of a dull chain are rounded and shiny, and those of a sharp chain are as sharp as a good knife blade, and no shiny reflection from the edge.
    File the tooth till the rounded edge disappears
    I test with my fingernail. Edge will feel sharp

I learned to avoid ever touching the dirt during a cut (always found rocks in the dirt)
    Easier to stop and re-position the log, than to stop and re-sharpen the blade.

Questions?
    Regards and hope you are enjoying Idaho!

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I just got done limbing some big honkin' "problem" branches from the monster oak tree in front of my house with my 16" Poulan Pro. I agree with what Taku said, I sharpen my own and it cut that oak like buttah and spit out nice square chips like it ought to be... but then again I was a hard-core gypo-logger that worked sun-up to sun-down seven days a week for a year after my Army tour, so I can sharpen a chain just by giving it the "evil eye".

You didn't put the chain on inside out did you? ;):D

11. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Pay to have it done ONCE. Then look at it. "Air file" it so you get the angles figured. You could
    do the same by just buying a new spare chain and using it as a patern, probably need one anyway.

All that said, I don't do all that much with a chain saw anymore. Bought a Harbor Freight sharpener,
    $29 on sale. Darned thing works quite well!

Joe13 and U201491 like this.
  12. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

I just use a rattled file 3 strokes each tooth always ready to go.

Stomper, U201491 and Caveman Jim like this.
  13. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Factory chains are not that sharp, they should be as sharp as a sharp knife.
    I bought an electric chain sharpener from Harbor Freight, I think I paid $35-40 dollars for it. With a brand new wheel it does an acceptable job, the teeth are sharp to the touch, Very Sharp, they will slice a finger open. I sharpen about 10 chains at a time, for 3 different saws. As the chains and wheel wears down it does a less acceptable job so I flip the wheel over and get another few chains outa it and then change-out the wheel for better results. I also file down the rakers a bit more than recommended as I am cutting big, soft wood and there are no rocks or nails to worry about. It takes me 25-50 minutes per chain if I am filling rakers so to pay someone $10 to sharpen a chain is not overly expensive, just make sure they take down the rakers if the teeth are heavily worn.

U201491 likes this.
  14. Uberdillo

Uberdillo Oregon Active Member

Does the cutter feel sharp? I'd hope he did even a halfway decent job on the cutters but forgot to adjust the depth gauges. They need to be filed down too.

Sgt Nambu and U201491 like this.
  15. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Never try and saw the earth, NEVER.:eek::eek::eek:o_O;)

x2ndxall, Stomper, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  16. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

17. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Oregon and Also Carlton had some nice little file guides for their chain also.
    Ray Carlton actually designed most of Omark's (Oregon Chain) Machines to
    make chain with before he started his own company.
    Also Stihl, Homelite, Echo, "Husky", and most of the chain saw mfg have file guides that work well.

Stomper and Caveman Jim like this.
  18. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Learn how to build your own chain out of wood using a bushcraft knife in case all the metal files and chains run out!!!!!:s0004:

I'm a fan of manually sharpening things, not a big fan of relying on a machine to do it for me - no offense to those that do.

Stomper, edslhead and Caveman Jim like this.
  19. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Get an old Stihl o56. Put a bike chain on it and it will still cut great:p. Ive always just used the right file, no guides.

Stomper, oknow and Caveman Jim like this.
  20. soberups

There are two kinds of people who use chain saws; those who have put a chain on backwards at some point, and those who are lying about it.

I am no liar.:)

Stomper and edslhead like this.