JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What have reloaders Experienced using it in .243 using 70 to 95 grain bullets and .308 using 150 to 165 grain bullets. I picked up a pound Recently would like to hear some feed back before opening it up.
Thanks.

You are probably the pioneer using it in the .308, at least on this forum--you might find some info on accurate shooter forums --a part of 6mmbr.com

My experience with a pound of CFE 223 led me to buy an 8 pound jug--but---I do not shoot a .308 Win................

Last Edited:
Yeah I have found reloading data for it but I haven't really read where someone has given an opinion or some Stat's on it. People who have used it in 223 and .204 seem to like it. I might just have to crack it open and reload some rounds and see how it works.

Interesting, I never would have thought of using CFE-223 in a .243 Winchester, as it seems a little fast burning for that application. In checking Hodgdon's data, they do list loads for up to 75 gr bullets, but not for anything heavier than that. It is probably too fast burning to be useful with the heavies. (might result in erratic pressures, low loading density, low velocity if one were to try) I have used it in my .223 and I am sure it would work fine in a .308 or something similar, but for the heavier bulets in the .243 Win. most people opt for a slower burning powder like 4350 or slower. I tried Varget in mine, as many people reported good results with it, but in my experience, velocity and accuracy were lacking. My Sako A-7 also blew a couple primers with Varget at below book max loads with Varget, so I don't use it in the .243 any more. Strange, because I have used IMR-4064 (a similar burning rate powder) in the .243 without problems. If you do try it, be sure to report your results, as I am curious to see if it works.

I have been loading it in my 204, 243, and 308 for quite a while now; on my 3rd 8# jug.
I don't shoot heavy bullets in the 243, but it is very accurate with the light weights. If you look at ES/SD, the loads that look bad seem to shoot the toughest groups in the 243.
For my 308, it acts very much like RL-17, in that if you are one of those purple that think you can tell your pressures by your brass/primers; it "seems" to show pressure quickly. The reality is that "pressure signs" only appear after you are way overloaded. Part of the reason the "snippy" crowd likes 17...
I can tell you that my first 8# jug burned MUCH different than the current lots. The early stuff was very close to the surplussed parent powder (SMP-842). I suspect the early release was from that powders development, whereas current stocks *could be* from current formulations. That part I can't prove, but the powders were different enough (even for Hodgy's shenanigans), that I wonder.

High pressure testing the new lot (please buy equipment, reading brass is NOT accurate), revealed much tighter ES/SD #'s, but same fine accuracy.
The fouling is similar to low pressure Win748. VERY black and sooty, but is easily removed. Nice thing about GD's USA ball powder is no Hard Carbon fouling.

A week or two ago, I saw several pounds of CFE-223 at two different stores locally, (Sportmans Warehouse and Griggs Dept. Store in Pasco) and Sportsman's even had 8 lb kegs of IMR-4064, H-4895 and H-335 on the shelf! It is getting better, apparently it varies by location. I picked up 2 lbs of Mag-Pro a few days ago, and got a pound of Benchmark today at Griggs in Pasco.

Last Edited:
I bought mine at Fishermans marine in Tigard.
I'll most likely sell this pound that I have, I recently picked up some IMR 4064 so I don't think I'll try the cfe223. I would hate to open up the container and have it not work to my desire when I know the IMR 4064 does what I wanted to.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top