JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got my parts kit in the other day. All I can say is wow... I did not know what I was getting into. I'd still like to build it though...but I have many questions.

First: Who has the knowledge necessary to do so? If someone is a capable machinist or has built one of these before, would they mind taking on a student?
If it comes down to it, I will compensate for time... with money or trade.

Second: How do I remove old receiver parts from the cocking tube and barrel trunion? I have no knowledge of removing welds... do I reheat it? Grind it off? Smash it with a hammer? Boil it in frog's blood and sing incantations?

I WANT TO BUILD MY CETME!!!!! :s0054:

I am not claiming to be an expert here, but you might want to invest in the AGI Armorers course that does the whole HK/CETME build.

Good luck with that and post pics when you are finished.

SF-

Thanks for the advice :D

I'll have to check it out when I get some free time

Edit: Just checked out the site... it sounds like a good deal, but if I can, I'd still prefer to get help from someone that already has the necessary tools...or access to them, at least. Like I said, I'll pay/trade for service if I have to

Been looking around the interweb and various other places...found one site in Colorado that offers to do a complete assembly (not including bluing/paint) for $300. I have to supply everything of course, including compliance parts. Does anyone know of a smith that could do the same in-state?

I got my parts kit in the other day. All I can say is wow... I did not know what I was getting into. I'd still like to build it though...but I have many questions.

First: Who has the knowledge necessary to do so? If someone is a capable machinist or has built one of these before, would they mind taking on a student?
If it comes down to it, I will compensate for time... with money or trade.

Second: How do I remove old receiver parts from the cocking tube and barrel trunion? I have no knowledge of removing welds... do I reheat it? Grind it off? Smash it with a hammer? Boil it in frog's blood and sing incantations?

I WANT TO BUILD MY CETME!!!!! :s0054:

carefull on the tube as there is a liner that slides into the receiver cut along the original weld on the receiver side

look for the welds on the trunnion drill them out dont drill into the trunnion just enough to break the welds then cut it along the seam and peel it away from the trunnion

militaryfirearm is a very usefull site, tells you how to modify the trigger package etc.

as for the demilling process if you look at the receiver where it meets the cocking tube it it welded, i start by taking a cut off wheel and grinding away at the weld until its gone, then try to pull out the tube, if it does not come then it could be rose welded back further, usully not, the two i have built havnt. after thats out set it aside, the actuall trunnion is welded at i belive 6 places, after i have grinded them all off, or what i feel is all of it i put it in a vise and start destroying the receiver by unfolding it in a sense around the trunnion, this will tell you if you missed grinding anywhere, then polish up the trunnion and your front end is demilled.
if you dont mind me asking, did your kit come with a barrel? reason i ask is if its still all assembled you may want to consider keeping it together and demilling it by cutting off the receiver,

some notes to check for, is your bolt head ground, you will want to make sure it isn't because this will cause you MAJOR problems with headspace issues which are extremely critical with these rifles, from what ive heard if its wrong it can blow your gun up but i havnt talked to anyone who has had that happen, also it will cause your rifle to have feeding/ejecting issues.
depending on your desire to build one/skills 300 doesnt sound too bad IF this person can build a reliable rifle.
also stock up on military spec ammo, they hate commercial brass, they love steel ammo as well, this is because of the delayed blowback operating system, which has a fluted barrel and commercial brass's thinner walls fire-form to the flutes causing the gases not to blow the bolt carrier back.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top