JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've received emails, text messages and phone calls about what rifle I use, and how it's set up. So I'll post here what I use, and why I use what I use.
I build my own rifles to my specs. Other than the Magpul stock and grip, very few parts are drop in. Everything is gauged and hand fitted...checked for proper clearance and function.

Here goes...

I use Aero Precision upper and lowers. Good quality, haven't had any fit problems, or have had any fail after many years of hard use.

I use Ballistic Advantage Hanson pencil profile mid-length gas barrels at 14.5", with a pinned gas block and BCM A2X muzzle.
In the past people have had negative views on pencil profile barrels. This one I can do 3-4 mag dumps, get the barrel hot and run it out at 200 yards and still not notice any accuracy shift.

I prefer to use use Phosphate BCGs from Aero or SOLGW…other good specimens are from BCM and Sionics. For the rifle in the photo, I'm trying a Nitride coating from Aero. Not a fan of the coating…but so far about 10k rounds, no problems. The problem with Nitride coating, is reduction of component fatigue life due to surface layer cracks developing and second problem is chipping of thicker coatings. Proper heat treating is the key…if it's not there, the BCG can fail. Oh, and lose the O-Ring on the extractor. Insert a 4 or 5 coil extractor spring from Sprinco...and that'll be the end of it.

I like BCM M-Lok handguards, as they have M-Lok on every flat. Most have M-Lok at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions only.
Other handguards I use…Aero R1 and Rise Armament X series. The X series are not on their website. Primary Arms and myself are the only outlets for the X model.

I use a Vtor A5 buffer system, with a A5H2 buffer and a Sprinco Green spring. This combo keeps the recoil flat, and cycling close to the original design.

I use Radian Arms LT charging handle, and Talon ambi-safety set at 45 degrees. The 45 degree setting really helps with fast on-off of the safety without having to over extend the thumb.

I use a Phase 5 B.A.D. one piece style lever. I use it for locking the bolt back quickly during initial loading and malfunction clearances. This allows me to keep the trigger hand on fire control...thus avoiding the "2 Hand Tango" move required for standard procedure to lock the bolt back. The problem with about every lever I've seen, they are angled down a bit, thus take up a lot of room in the trigger guard area. I contour fit the lever so it stays at the top of the trigger guard area, securely keeps the bolt locked back and doesn't interfere with the trigger finger motion from indexing to trigger. My trigger finger index point is on the flare of the magazine well.

Rise Armament 434 drop-in trigger, and Magpul CTR stock, and K2+ grip round out the build.

Necessary accessories;

Ferro Concepts Slingster model sling. This sling is very forgiving when in odd shooting positions, yet strong and lightweight. Easily adjustable.

Optic; Red Dot…Trijicon MRO. For the price point, they are top notch. I've heard some state there's a blue tint, or the dot isn't clear…I've not experienced that with any that I own…and I own 4. They are tough and hold zero through rough use.

Back-up sights; Magpul Pro. Light weight, hold zero and take some abuse and still stay accurate.

Light…Surefire Dual-Fuel. I also use a Modlite OKW model as well, but with the Modlite you're stuck with the 18650 battery size. Using 123's are subject to high drain that the battery can't handle, and subsequent problems can occur…including fire. The Surefire Dual-Fuel uses either 1 18650 or 2 123s. 123s are easier to find, and if you're part of a group that shoots and trains together, generally there are an ample supply of extras within the group.

Light mount, is the Arisaka angled model. Puts the light right up against the top rail, or in this case (pic), puts it tight against the MAWL without interfering with the function of either.

Laser / Night Vision…B.E.Meyers MAWL C1 This is an extraordinary Viz/IR combo. It is accurate and lights up the night out to 400 yards, and can run a jumper wire from the Surefire light directly to the MAWL, so you don't have to use a separate switch. The MAWL has 2 integral switch buttons. With the jumper wire, you can choose which button you want white light and viz laser combo, and leave the other for IR.

With everything you see…it tips the scale at a bit over 8lbs

I think that covers it…any questions…fire away.

Rifle 1.jpg

Last Edited:
Light…Surefire Dual-Fuel. I also use a Modlite OKW model as well, but with the Modlite you're stuck with the 18650 battery size. Using 123's are subject to high drain that the battery can't handle, and subsequent problems can occur…including fire. The Surefire Dual-Fuel uses either 1 18650 or 2 123s. 123s are easier to find, and if you're part of a group that shoots and trains together, generally there are an ample supply of extras within the group.
FYI, Modlite now puts out a Dual-Fuel OKW...
https://modlite.com/products/modlite-okw-dual-fuel-light-head

They were at the P&S summit last month in Utah, they mentioned that but didn't have one with them. The guy gave me a card...but haven't called him. Said he'd send me one to T&E...I need to get on that!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top