JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Revolver Operation course will be held Saturday, August 20th 0900 - 1600 Cost 200.00 per person.

I started in 1987 packing a S&W Model 10 38 special for the Park Service. In the Park Service academy I was 2nd overall in firearms. I attended the state of Washington LE academy in 1989, carrying a 686, and was 1st overall in firearms for the class. In 1992 I attended the S&W Academy armorer school for revolvers. Two of my confrontations on the street, were with the 686.

I have trained with various instructors that focused on the revolver platform, the major names being John Farnam, Clint Smith and the S&W Academy.

I've put on many revolver courses over the years, but as times go, so goes the revolver for the semi-auto pistol. Most courses for revolvers have been private training sessions, but that will now change. After getting a few inquiries about a revolver course, and searching the net for courses and not finding much...I've decided to offer my revolver course one time a year.

Course Content -

Armorer – Operation – Maintenance – Function – Troubleshoot – Checks

Equipment

Stances

Grip – Per frame size

Trigger – Finger placement – Actuation Double vs Single – Actuate to cylinder lock – Follow Through

Sight use

Ammunition – Checks

Load – Reload variations

Malfunctions - Clearing

Many various drills focusing on the operation, manipulation, along with efficiency and accuracy of the platform.

Required equipment
  • A Double-Action Revolver
  • 38 Special or larger caliber
  • A minimum of 4 Speed Loaders, and 2 Speed Strips
  • Holster must attach via the belt (paddle holsters are not allowed). Holsters must provide an active or passive retention device and be able to keep the firearm in place while running or moving in and out of awkward positions.
  • Hearing Protection, electronic is preferred.
  • Eye protection.
  • A cleaning kit and tools that are compatible with your revolver
If you would like to shoot - 300 rounds. Bring more, shoot more.

Have been getting some questions about revolver size and related equipment.

Any size frame revolver will work for this class, in fact if you have different sizes...bring them, as we will be doing some frame-size specific instructing and drills. So 5, 6, 7 and 8 shot revolvers are good to go.

If you a smaller caliber than a 38 Special, bring it...just make sure you have speed loaders and strips for it.

Appendix carry holster are ok, along with concealed holsters as well. Horizontal shoulder holsters I would advise against, because of the amount of people, but if that's all you have, we will teach you how to draw and work around the public with them.

Eight of us attended Steve's revolver operations class this past Saturday. For me, a reasonably proficient shooter who's relatively new to revolvers, this class covered pretty much everything I wanted it to cover. We spent some time on basic revolver operation and maintenance, especially around the cylinder, crane and star, and then moved on to working with speed loaders and finally speed strips. Steve has some unorthodox insights into gripping the revolver that I'm going to have to play more with, but experimenting with them during class seemed to improve things for me. We shot from 5 to 20', with one drill at 40', and the class finished (like most of Steve's classes do) with his "hateful eight" drill, which would be a stout challenge with a wheel gun. I probably ran through 130 rounds of ammo, so this is not a super-high round count class. It was also a very good opportunity to play around with other people's gear -- holsters, speed loaders, etc -- to know what I should be buying.

I have to follow this up with dry fire practice of reloading, and playing more with the grip. There's also a good chance that Steve will offer a revolver armorer (primarily for S&W) class sometime this winter, so I'm looking forward to that.

Last Edited:
Yes, good times had by all!

Those who've been to my courses know, when it's a been a great time, time knows no time.
I think we went past the discussed shut-down time by at least an hour...the mo-jo with everyone was still going strong.

With the great feedback, and many others contacting me about offering it again...yes, it'll be on the schedule for next year.

The same base curriculum will be there, but will present it a bit different to get more rounds down range, and more time to try out the different techniques I use for grip, loading and sight work.

Stay tuned...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads