JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Building a NFA rifle and this will be a once and done rifle. I have a billet upper and lower and they match great. Well the rail is a little lighter and might just Cerakote all 3 so they are OD green. I like the look in pictures but have not seen one in person. As stated this is a once and done gun and will be a keeper for a long time with the stamp waiting period. Tell me what do you think or what you would do if this was you.

I cerakoted (the air dry type) my troy forend. It matches really closely to the Magpul OD furniture. Here's an old photo, and I know the front sight is on backwards in this pic.

Even the air dry cerakote is really durable, it's been on the forend for a couple years and I only have 1 little scratch on the bottom from a carpet staple on a shooting rest at a range in CA. I highly recommend it.

AR011.jpg

Building a NFA rifle and this will be a once and done rifle. I have a billet upper and lower and they match great. Well the rail is a little lighter and might just Cerakote all 3 so they are OD green. I like the look in pictures but have not seen one in person. As stated this is a once and done gun and will be a keeper for a long time with the stamp waiting period. Tell me what do you think or what you would do if this was you.

I've seen some Cerakote jobs and they did look good, however, it takes a lot more work to get a good product vs something like Duracoat. I've used Duracoat a few times and couldn't be happier. If you let it cure for a week or two before handling, it's as hard as nails and holds up to anything. They say you can touch it and assemble your rifle etc in 24 hours, but I personally recommend 7-10 days for pro level work.

This is my first post, so please excuse if I don't link my photos right below, but here's my last rifle. I built this as my take on an 18" SPR build, and went from a BCM Stainless 410 barrel to OD it to match my build. My process was simple: I sanded it with 600 grit, degreased and sprayed. Looks like it came that way from the factory. I think I tossed 3 coats at it. The only thing to keep in mind if you're hitting a barrel is that if your gas block is tight prior to spraying then you might paint yourself right out of being able to put it on. Duracoat is only a few mils thick, but my Troy gas block was built with exacting tolerances. After spraying I ended up lightly sanding the duracoat around the gas block to shave off a little clearance. The finish held up well to the sanding and shed just enough size to slide it on perfectly. Only 6-8 cuss words and one hard angry punch into my work bench required.

Duracoat also comes in a metric crap ton of colors, if that's important to you.
Here's my build album

Well I ended up ordering another rail and it matches perfectly. So now am on the fence about the cerakote. I like black guns and well this one might have to stay black now.

I do like the do it your self stuff also thanks for the info!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top