Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cerakote Question?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Scoutout, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Scoutout

Scoutout Southwestern WA New Member

I am going to try my hand at applying the air dry cerakote to a 870 rebuild. I have two questions.
    1. Can you apply a thin layer to the inside of the receiver if not then what is a good alternative that can be used?

2. Being that it is the cold/rainy season here is washington, how will this effect the dry time of these items see that they will be sprayed and left hanging to dry in a shed that is not heated?

Thanks

John

2. joe dierte

joe dierte issaquah Member

Do a google search on DIY gun finishes, I did a 1100 remington a while ago and wished I did more research on which product to use. Some are fine to use inside as they cure thin and provide a smooth durable finish, others are too thick and will just come off with any contact which is what I ended up with.

3. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter North Bend OR Active Member

The heat cure will stand up on the inside just fine. Use it in all wear areas. It has lubricating properties. The air cure is not as durable.

4. gunnin88

gunnin88 Belfair, Wa Member

I agree although I use KD the heat cure is THE ONLY kind you should use as it is much more durable. You can bake them over a propane can heater thats how I do it.

5. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter North Bend OR Active Member

It's been well over a month. Any pictures?